Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ryan Mills......  (Read 5745 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Mills......
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 09:42:54 PM »
Would you still need Sops?
10 - Umaga, Gops, Mills, Miller....
Gops will definitely be playing next season, he's in top, top shape and had a year off injured.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:25 PM »
Rumour I think was from Ruck or RIL saying Mills was still in contract next year but Worcester were going to allow him to leave a year early as he wanted a move to have a final crack at England.

Absolutely classy player but did have a knee made of glass held together by a lot of tape, not sure what his injury record has been over the last few years but seems to have played more to my mind in recent years.
Would be another experienced outside Umaga too despite being 27.
Apparently Dobbie’s best bud too

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
Is he only 27? Hell yes please then. I'm a big fan, he makes Worcs into a different team when he's on the pitch, very intelligent player but solid too. He seemed to be forever out injured until relatively recently. If it was a choice between Lima and him it'd be no comtest.

Dai had been in for him a couple of times at least but he's gone now. Hope we still view him as a good addition.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 08:25:25 AM »
Have to admit he's not a player I've watched closely but his name has cropped a few times when others have talked about recruitment options at 12.

His age is attractive, but after a brief read online his injury problems are a concern. For me Booj hasn't quite staked his claim to hold on to the 12 shirt fulltime. So based on others assessments and enthusiasm to sign him, i'll be happy to secure his services..... The only thing is that I don't we'll sign someone until a DOR is confirmed and they have confirmed they are happy with the current recruitment targets/negotiations.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »

Does anyone think that Booj was actually signed to become a first choice inside centre?

He's a signing that I felt was to add depth. A probable 3rd choice, selection from the championship.

He was already in his mid/late 20's when he joined us, so I doubt we were expecting him to grow as a player much more than he already had.

There's exceptions to that, such as Guy Thompson. However, on the while it's very rare for a player to make a significant step up in ability when they're in their mid 20's.

I think we signed him for squad depth, but that he's had to perform a more significant role.
I think he's actually quite solid for someone that you'd typically expect to only have to call on occasionally

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »

Does anyone think that Booj was actually signed to become a first choice inside centre?

He's a signing that I felt was to add depth. A probable 3rd choice, selection from the championship.

He was already in his mid/late 20's when he joined us, so I doubt we were expecting him to grow as a player much more than he already had.

There's exceptions to that, such as Guy Thompson. However, on the while it's very rare for a player to make a significant step up in ability when they're in their mid 20's.

I think we signed him for squad depth, but that he's had to perform a more significant role.
I think he's actually quite solid for someone that you'd typically expect to only have to call on occasionally

+1

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »

+1
[/quote]

+2, I think he's done a great job considering that he was dropped right into it with Jimmy getting injured and having to adjust to a new team and the Prem and playing week in week out with little chance/time to adapt

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 11:49:47 AM »
Agree with  the +2
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »
Here:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-rumours-transfer-news-worcester-3892974

They report he has been released from Worcester and is (pretty much) headed our way.

In other news they report Loz off to Sale.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »
That would be nice

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »

I think Mark Atkinson might have something to say about that.  A short, unsuccessful stint for us (as a 10) then went to Esher/Bedford (definitely one of the two, perhaps both - Might be getting confused with Seb Jewell who had a similar stint) then ended up at Gloucester in his mid-20's a few years back.  Now he's a pretty integral part of their backline and acts as the perfect foil for Cips.  Booj has many of the same attributes that could be improved with a few seasons under his belt.  Even at 29 (in a few years after having a few seasons under his belt) he'll have 2-3 good seasons in him for us, so could well turn out to be a decent 12 for us (even if he remains 2nd or 3rd choice).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:28:23 PM by InBetweenWasp »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »
For those who've not seen him.. my best description would be a Barritt in his prime (an in your face hard carrying 12) but with much better feet and hands. I think injuries (and being at Wuss) have scuppered him from furthering his career.

The selling point for him (if true) is that he probably won't have to move house if he's in the Wuss area as the proposed Henley-in-Arden training centre won't be that far for him to travel to.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 05:37:14 PM »

The thing for me is i'd like all squad players to push for that start and ask questions of selectors. Yes he hasn't let us down and he was well and truly dropped in it when he arrived with the injury to Gopps. I'm also not naïve enough to think we can have a squad full of stars, but do need those squad players. My point is that I don't feel Booj asks enough questions come selection time... What a Mills would presumably bring is the competition to make it not a full gone conclusion that Gopps is starting when fit.

Competition breeds better performances and as much as I think Booj is a good 'squad player' I think we need a 12 that could genuinely challenge Gopps and keep him at his very best (even though he seems to be anyway!).

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »

The thing for me is i'd like all squad players to push for that start and ask questions of selectors. Yes he hasn't let us down and he was well and truly dropped in it when he arrived with the injury to Gopps. I'm also not naïve enough to think we can have a squad full of stars, but do need those squad players. My point is that I don't feel Booj asks enough questions come selection time... What a Mills would presumably bring is the competition to make it not a full gone conclusion that Gopps is starting when fit.

Competition breeds better performances and as much as I think Booj is a good 'squad player' I think we need a 12 that could genuinely challenge Gopps and keep him at his very best (even though he seems to be anyway!).

+1, that is my issue with MLB he hasn't significantly improved and doesn't offer enough of a challenge for the 12 shirt. Mills will give us that plus cover at 10. The issue is with no DoR in place who is painting the vision from a playing PoV?
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 01:59:52 PM »
Worcester have today confirmed officially that Mills is free to break his contract and leave.