Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT: Mako V  (Read 1494 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
OT: Mako V
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
Out of the England squad again after travelling home from Tonga via Hong Kong and being instructed to self-isolate by England.  Did nobody advise him on travel plans?? (assuming he was unable to work it out for himself)  There must have been other routes (via Australia and Middle East / via US).  Perhaps the RFU could be accused of over-reacting, but understandable that they should err on the side of caution.  Quite apart from the personal welfare angle, imagine the clubs' reaction if a dose ran through the England squad after they knowingly allowed the involvement of a player who had traveled to (or more accurately through) a high risk area.

Now this morning I read that both he and Billy are back with Sarries and Mako is available for selection this weekend.  While I'm in no doubt that Sarries have taken every precaution and sought medical advice, it is completely at odds with the RFU's decision.  We're always being told how important player welfare is to the culture at Sarries, so it strikes me as strange that they have adopted a less cautious approach than the RFU.  Or does their undersatnding of "welfare" not stretch beyond £££££??  Or have the RFU just massively over-reacted?  Or is there more to it??

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Mako V
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »
I read it yesterday that he self isolated due to his stop over in Hong Kong.  It gives out the totally wrong message if the EAs go against that decision.  I would suggest that whoever they are playing next could cause major problems over playing a player/team who comprise someone who should be isolated.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
And surely as an EPS member, he is obliged to stick to what they have told him during international weekends.  He was released from the squad for self isolation as a precaution.  He was not released back to Sarries.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
A Saracen's club statement on the BBC (URL: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51721889) says:

"Travellers returning from Hong Kong are not currently subject to mandatory quarantine or self-isolation unless they become symptomatic.

Neither Billy nor Mako have displayed symptoms of coronavirus and on their return to London were assessed by the club's medical staff.

The duo have been around the Saracens environment for the past couple of days, with the latter available for selection this weekend"

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
He is starting for Saracens this weekend.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
I think the other point is that he hasn’t been with the England squad for the past month with Marler and Genge performing fantastically without him.

Eddie probs doesn’t feel like he needs him in the squad having missed that amount of training etc