Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT Coronavirus  (Read 11389 times)

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OT Coronavirus
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
What's interesting with fatality rates is that nations with fundamentally different approaches to government and the media are reporting very similar sets of figures:-

Iran  3513 cases 107 deaths
Italy 3089 cases 107 deaths

Source: Johns Hopkins CSSE

The big outlier would appear to be South Korea with 6088 cases and only 35 deaths.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 06:03:08 PM »
Italy’s numbers have likely been driven higher by the outbreaks in old people homes. The Iranian number by comparison are complete make believe. Unofficial reports are that it’s seen 3-5 times as many fatalities.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
I concur with NWW. Unless it gets to 10's of thousands dying then its nothing more than a virus that preys on the elderly or infirm (from VV's recent poll .. most of us)...

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 07:40:13 PM »
I really don't see the point of all this isolation rubbish.

I'm gonna argue here.  The isolation rubbish is to save lives, that simple.

It isn't that deadly a virus. As a potential health related killer, it ranks very low down the list.

In Italy the death rate currently stands at 38.77%.  I'd say that is pretty high.

They have no clinical evidence as to how it is actually spread; they are guessing right now. They will to be able to contain it. It is probably already widespread in the UK.

Actually having spoken to PHE and having read every medical paper I can get my hands on we actually have quite a lot of evidence as to how it spreads.

There is no treatment, other than palliative care.

All the more reason to try not to catch it.

I simply don't understand. Let it go, get on with life. If you catch it, and you are really ill, stay home, just as you would with flu. If you have the sniffles, go to work as normal.

My wife is currently 32 weeks pregnant, she was exposed by someone who had that very attitude.  There is a very real possibiity that if she catches it whe could lose the baby because of it.  Several years ago my son was immunocompromised due to Chemotherapy. If he'd caught it it would have killed him without a doubt.

The very best case scenario is that it has a fatality rate 20x that of seasonal flu, treating it like it is no big deal will kill people who would otherwise have survived.

Yes. Some folk will die. Live with it. It happens every day (and yes, I am pretty much in the highest risk group, and I would still not stay indoors avoiding contact).

Do you ignore speed limits when you drive?  There is a massive difference between accepting that this disease will kill people, and being personally responable for making sure it does.

I really don't care. If it's my time, it's my time.

And what about the mother of 2 who is fighting breast cancer who you infect?  Is it her time too?  I'm sure it would be a massive consolation to her children when she dies.

If anyone tells me to self-isolate, they can go whistle. Especially if it meant missing a game of rugby.

Really?  I honestly thought better of you.

This media and political frenzy is total madness.

No, the fact that people are pretending it is no big deal is total madness.

Fully agree with VV. We all need to work together to slow the spread of this virus so that it kills fewer people, especially the immunocompromised. If its at the expense of a bit of personal freedom for a short time, so be it.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 08:58:34 PM »
This evening my wife informed me that, because of Covid-19, she won't be attending the Ricoh until further notice!

Waspie Pat

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 07:26:42 AM »
Looking forward to the game tomorrow 1st game at the Ricoh this season (Thanks again John) due to A14 chaotic road works
My question on this is why we don’t wear gloves when we are out?
I always wear them whenever l go out and then put them in the wash when I get home have been doing this for years
COYW

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2020, 07:34:30 AM »
Looking forward to the game tomorrow 1st game at the Ricoh this season (Thanks again John) due to A14 chaotic road works
I always wear them whenever l go out and then put them in the wash when I get home have been doing this for years
COYW

As a member of the dodgy handshake brigade, we have been doing at meetings for about 300 years!  ;) ;) ;)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:30 AM »
COYW

As a member of the dodgy handshake brigade, we have been doing at meetings for about 300 years!  ;) ;) ;)

Hearty and fraternal greetings! I'm currently "in the chair" so shaking a whole lot of hands every month!!!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2020, 06:12:06 PM »
Sky now reporting Sports leaders and TV companies called to a government meeting on Monday to seek a way forward as the virus escalates.

Cancelling or closed doors ??
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »
Sky now reporting Sports leaders and TV companies called to a government meeting on Monday to seek a way forward as the virus escalates.

Cancelling or closed doors ??

I don't think closed doors will make much difference to the top soccer clubs, AIUI the vast majority of their money comes through TV, sponsorship and merchandising. The cost of running a game is quite high because of policing costs which reduces profits from the gate receipts.

A different story for everyone else as they make a higher proportion of their revenues through the gate and match day sales, so they'd probably want to postpone.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2020, 07:00:35 PM »
Just because I was a pedantic microbiologist:

The virus is SARS-CoV-2 (SARS coronavirus 2)

The illness that can result from infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus is Coronavirus disease 2019 (CoVID-19)

There's no such thing as the CoVID-19 virus.

Now if anyone wants to ask questions about Chlamydia - that's what I got my PhD in!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
Female Scotland player found with virus. Game this weekend cancelled.  Forst of many no doubt over the coming weeks.

Scotland were in italy two weeks ago so incubation about right.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:09 PM »
Italy’s numbers have likely been driven higher by the outbreaks in old people homes. The Iranian number by comparison are complete make believe. Unofficial reports are that it’s seen 3-5 times as many fatalities.

My sister works with a number of Iranians. She says that Iran is amongst the most corrupt regimes in the world. Iranian ex-pats would never believe anything that their government says.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2020, 07:19:38 AM »
I see that women's football have switched from handshakes to elbow bumps. Will rugby do the same? Don't touch hands before you join a ruck?