Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gopps' Future  (Read 2501 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Gopps' Future
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-jimmy-gopperth-17924205

We need to sign him up for beyond this season, article implies it is ongoing. He has been a great player for us and should continue to be, I hope he slots into the coaching team as has a great rugby brain.
It was fine when I left it.....

Chilham

• View Profile
Re: Gopps' Future
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 11:39:42 AM »
Given the questions about him at the beginning of his time with us, exacerbated by the incident at Welford Road, it’s remarkable how much of a Wasps favourite he’s become.

I really hope he can see out his playing days with us, and that we can use him in a coaching role. He has a great rugby mind. His punditry is outstanding.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »
Given the questions about him at the beginning of his time with us, exacerbated by the incident at Welford Road, it’s remarkable how much of a Wasps favourite he’s become.

I really hope he can see out his playing days with us, and that we can use him in a coaching role. He has a great rugby mind. His punditry is outstanding.

Totally agree. I suppose much depends on whether there is a desire to go back home or, hopefully, if his family are settled (schools etc) he might be happy to stay a while - here's hoping.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
I was calling for his retirement, but boy he has proved me wrong this season.

A few things to consider: for example are Hurricanes are looking for fly halves, I guarantee that's why we re-signed Jacob early in the season (not necessarily the canes, but competition in general). But Gopps may be looking elsewhere.

We've also signed Mills, was he as a replacement for Gopperth or Searle?

If we did lose Gopperth, who would we sign to replace him? There's currently no rumours relating to us, and this late in signings is getting concerning.

I hope we re sign Gopps and Tibo, but both looking less likely each day.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
Is it daft to hope that Ryan works with Jimmy for a couple of seasons. Potentially increases Jimmy's longevity and gives continuity when Jimmy does swap from playing to full time coach somewhere, hopefully with Wasps.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
If discussions are ongoing then that's good. It sounds like his enforced sabbatical has given him a new lease of life. 2 years ago Haskell admitted at this time of year no club, including Wasps, were even in discussions with him.

As always, it comes down to what the club think his value is and what Jimmy thinks his value to the club is.

As we saw with Haskell's in his last season with us, the club saw very little value in re-signning him (which turned out to be a wise decision).

I would think Jimmy has one more good season in him and I don't see why Mills would expect to sign for a new club expecting to be given 1st choice status. He will acecpt he'll have to earn that right.

The pertinent question is whether Jimmy wants a 1 or 2 yr deal (either here or elsewhere) and, of course, whether Wasps are prepared to extend his current contract by one year (meaning he would stay on the same money), or ask him to sign a new contract possibly for 2 yrs but on less money (as there is more risk to Wasps)

The only other player I can think of, at his age, at this level in recent times is Peter Stringer who i think was playing for Bath at Jimmy's age

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
Simon Shaw

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
Chilham, please remind me about the incident at Welford Road.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
He got a three week ban.  He also reacted very poorly to the yellow card on the pitch.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 07:52:39 PM »
I think longevity is the main focus. With Mills’ injury record, it would be good to have the pair of them. With Gopps not being required to play every week and maybe giving more scope to work on the coaching side, we could make the most of his ability and experience for more than just next year.

Maybe with less reliance on Mills to be first choice 12 we will also lower his risk of injury.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
Thanks Chilham - forgotten that!