Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership expected to be postponed?  (Read 2002 times)

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Premiership expected to be postponed?
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »
Reports tonight in The Telegraph that PRL expected to postpone all fixtures for at least four weeks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/03/14/premiership-rugby-expected-announce-matches-will-postponed-four/

by Gavin Mairs - Chief rugby Union correspondent

“ Premiership Rugby is expected to announce on Monday that all league matches will be postponed for at least four weeks in response to the public safety risks posed by the coronavirus outbreak.

Sources suggest that at least the next two rounds of matches will be postponed following on-going dialogue between club owners and PRL over the weekend.

With the Champions Cup quarter-finals currently scheduled for the weekend of Apr 4/5, it is understood the situation will be revised to see if the league campaign can resume on Apr 11/12.

The option of playing the remainder of the league behind closed doors is now regarded as "highly unlikely", although PRL are determined not to cancel any fixtures, even if it means extending the season into the summer months.

“Premiership rugby are working closely with their own medical experts, DCMS & Public Health England and all clubs,” said a PRL spokesman.

“Sunday's Premiership Rugby Cup final has been postponed, so it's sensible to wait for latest advice so we can make an informed decision for the rest of the season, in the coming days.

“Premiership Rugby reiterated last night that the welfare of fans, players and staff is their first concern and decision are important to get right. That advice will allow Premiership Rugby and its clubs to make a well-informed decision in the coming days.”

The Rugby Football Union meanwhile has said its advice to clubs to keep playing has not changed despite their Welsh counterparts on Saturday joining Scotland and Ireland in suspending all domestic rugby.

Three Greene King IPA Championship games that were due to take place on Saturday, Nottingham v Jersey Reds, London Scottish v Hartpury and Ealing Trailfinders v Yorkshire Carnegie, were all postponed because of suspected incidents of the virus however.

An RFU spokeswoman said: “Current Government advice is that amateur and professional sporting events should go ahead unless there are significant mitigating circumstances. 

“In line with many other sports, rugby union league and cup matches and the grassroots game in England is to be played as usual this weekend, unless there is a specific reason to postpone identified by the clubs. “We will continually review this based on Government advice. ”

The Six Nations meanwhile dismissed reports that the bidding process for the broadcasting rights for the tournament had not been postponed because of the outbreak.

"Media rights process has not been delayed,” said a senior Six Nations spokesperson.

“Multiple proposals were received this week as required and discussions are on-going with all interested parties with no pre-determined viewpoint.”

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership expected to be postponed?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 09:47:47 PM »
Thanks for posting. 

Not a surprise. I suspect the time frame is far too short. Personally can't see much rugby this side of mid summer at the earliest.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:49:23 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »
I don’t expect to see any rugger for the rest of this season.  How the admin can be sorted out before then is beyond my wit.  Draw a line now - league positions stand.  Very unsatisfactory but workable.  Ideas on the back of a fag packet to the powers that be.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 11:00:38 PM »
It all getting very scary.

France and Spain are heading for lockdown as in Italy.

I have just read this as well : https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/uk-quarantines-elderly-as-over-70s-told-stay-at-home

They have no chance of policing it!!

(For example, I would still take my dog for her regular 4 miles day over the fields.)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 04:39:44 AM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8118669/Premier-League-risk-breaching-3billion-TV-contract-season-not-finished-July-31.html

I wondered how long it would take for TV companies to now invoke contract clauses against sporting authorities for not fulfilling their obligations.. I can see the same thing possibly happening against PRL by BT... and Sky also pursuing the F1 organisers as well.. but I wonder if Sky and BT will refund their subscription paying customers though

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:06:52 AM by BG »

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 04:42:43 PM »
BG, I would expect  the contracts to have force majeure (Acts of God) clauses which could, if worded correctly avoid liability for the present situation. It may depend on how imaginative the lawyers were!!!!