Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Summer rugby on the horizon as Premiership presses reset button  (Read 4047 times)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Summer rugby on the horizon as Premiership presses reset button
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
If I understand one of the options football is considering is getting all the players and necessary staff for all the teams together somewhere (probably offshore), wait for a couple of weeks to train and ensure everyone is virus free and then finishing the season off in a tournament format with 3 games a day, all televised.  It sounds a little far fetched from a practicality point of view to me, but at least they are thinking of creative solutions. I don't think that would work for rugby as it relies on short turn arounds (3 days for each team apparently).

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:12 AM »
If I understand one of the options football is considering is getting all the players and necessary staff for all the teams together somewhere (probably offshore), wait for a couple of weeks to train and ensure everyone is virus free and then finishing the season off in a tournament format with 3 games a day, all televised.  It sounds a little far fetched from a practicality point of view to me, but at least they are thinking of creative solutions. I don't think that would work for rugby as it relies on short turn arounds (3 days for each team apparently).

That makes sense for the football Premier League because the vast amount of their money comes from TV and shirt sponsorship and relatively little through match day receipts. (I'd guess that clubs like Bournemouth run close to a loss on match day because of their small grounds). There's also talk of Sky and other TV companies invoking clauses that allow them to claim some of the money back.

AIUI its a bit different for rugby because they make a larger proportion of their money from match day receipts so the incentives to play behind closed doors aren't as high. I'm not sure if BT has clauses that allow them to claim money back and if they're being invoked.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
Might be a strange game keeping six feet apart. Worth watching.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »

That makes sense for the football Premier League because the vast amount of their money comes from TV and shirt sponsorship and relatively little through match day receipts. (I'd guess that clubs like Bournemouth run close to a loss on match day because of their small grounds). There's also talk of Sky and other TV companies invoking clauses that allow them to claim some of the money back.

AIUI its a bit different for rugby because they make a larger proportion of their money from match day receipts so the incentives to play behind closed doors aren't as high. I'm not sure if BT has clauses that allow them to claim money back and if they're being invoked.

Yes, not practical for rugby for a number of reasons...although I see in another thread that it has been suggested as an April Fools joke which has me thinking I may have fallen for it too.