Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Summer rugby on the horizon as Premiership presses reset button  (Read 4067 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Brian Moore's Column in Today's Telegraph.

Having spoken to several Premiership stakeholders, from a variety of organisations, one word was ubiquitous in my conversations… and it was not coronavirus.

Reset; that is the word on the lips of everyone involved in rugby. Reset your thinking; reset your attitude; reset your business. If the pandemic has done anything, it has given rugby the chance for a reset. What you interpret this to be depends on where you sit in the rugby firmament. Suffice to say that rugby could be significantly changed because of this pandemic.

There are several columns to write about the different aspects of the game that could seize this unwanted opportunity but let us look first at the top end of the game and elite club rugby.

The lockdown has been disastrous for the Premiership and made worse by fact that nobody knows how long it will last or what will be allowed even when it is revoked. Had there been a definitive duration, whether short or long, the Premiership could have assessed its options with certainty. As it is, it has to try to make important decisions without knowing the background context.

As usual, there has been plenty of advice for the Premiership, if you count social media’s expert commentary as advice. Some have said the best course of action to achieve certainty is to write off this whole season and start again in September. Like a lot of advice limited to 280 characters, it is superficially cogent but actually facile.

The first thing with a clean break is that the Premiership and its clubs cannot afford to write off the season and will not do so unless compelled. It is no exaggeration to say that had the money from CVC not been received about half of the Premiership clubs would be bankrupted by this catastrophe.

As it is, they cannot afford not to try to recoup at least some money from any remaining games as cash through the gate and from other concessions. The business model is not like Premier League football, where broadcast rights are so lucrative that they do not need anyone to watch live to succeed financially. TV rights themselves are a problem and while BT (below) is not yet insisting on repayments because of cancelled games, it must and will do that if the season is abandoned and not just postponed. I am told that the sums due could push some over the edge.

The Premiership is trying to be in a position to play its remaining games from the first available weekend until June or July. This would bring it into conflict with the Rugby Football Union over the England tour to Japan, which the Premiership insists was put to it as a developmental tour.

If there is to be a winner in that argument it should be the Premiership because the first tour after a World Cup should be about trying out talent that could make 2023, and nothing else. Nobody who was in the last World Cup squad would learn anything from touring Japan again.

If the season can be completed, the Premiership is looking to end it with a huge weekend, rather like rugby league’s Magic Weekend, where all games are played in the same place over two days. This would be as much about symbolism and the reuniting of rugby people as about gaining media interest and large crowds. What it would also do is give English club fans the chance to see what summer rugby might feel like. I have a feeling that once they get the sun on their backs and watch, sipping drinks and wearing T-shirts instead of waterproofs they will warm to the idea (pun intended.)

I am comforted in my advocacy for a fundamental timetable change by knowing that the majority of Premiership clubs are also in favour, though they might not say so in public.

The medium-term proposal being discussed is to start the season after the autumn internationals, which could also be moved forward if agreed. Then there would be a break during the dark and dank months of December and January, with the season stretching into June and July. This aim is probably to change after the 2023 World Cup and as part of realigning the global calendar.

Above all, the Premiership is trying to look to stop overlaps of international and Premiership fixtures. Wholesale absences of star and key players dramatically affect the quality of games on offer and this is reflected in attendances and, by extension, other ground-based revenues.

You read it here first – RESET.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Summer rugby on the horizon as Premiership presses reset button
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
I like the idea of Summer rugby. Mudfests, frosty days, arctic winds might be what we all remember, but I can also remember how empty the touchlines were. The Southern hemisphere teams don't mind winter so much, as they are located in warmer climate zones. Summer for them is too warm. Makes sense to me.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »
I like the idea of Summer rugby. Mudfests, frosty days, arctic winds might be what we all remember, but I can also remember how empty the touchlines were. The Southern hemisphere teams don't mind winter so much, as they are located in warmer climate zones. Summer for them is too warm. Makes sense to me.

For rugby watching makes sense but possible big impact on Wasps cash making concerts at the Ricoh which I would guess are important to the balance sheet?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:25 AM »

For rugby watching makes sense but possible big impact on Wasps cash making concerts at the Ricoh which I would guess are important to the balance sheet?

What we'd need in that scenario is a winter sport to make use of the stadium during what would then become rugby's off season.  Football would probably work.  Anyone know of a local team in need of a home?  Ideally one that isn't trying to sue Wasps I suppose!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
Hearing the latest comments from on high, it will be August at the very earliest before any sport is played in the UK - more likely September. Throw in the conditioning work time and this season is dead and buried. Best start planning for next season.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »
Hearing the latest comments from on high, it will be August at the very earliest before any sport is played in the UK - more likely September. Throw in the conditioning work time and this season is dead and buried. Best start planning for next season.

Agreed. There is no way this will be done within 3 months. I think the government will want to free things up a bit as soon as they have a feel for when the 'peak' is reached, probably a month from now. If it then falls off as it apparently did in China (I say apparently because there is no way that the figures out of China are remotely near the truth - they will have had way more cases and deaths), we MIGHT see enough relaxation to allow sports behind closed doors from July onwards. By then, most squads will be at close to full strength. But will that already be too late?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »

Agreed. There is no way this will be done within 3 months. I think the government will want to free things up a bit as soon as they have a feel for when the 'peak' is reached, probably a month from now. If it then falls off as it apparently did in China (I say apparently because there is no way that the figures out of China are remotely near the truth - they will have had way more cases and deaths), we MIGHT see enough relaxation to allow sports behind closed doors from July onwards. By then, most squads will be at close to full strength. But will that already be too late?

Too late methinks. I suspect PRL will be under pressure from the RFU and BT to say what they intend to do. Also note comments coming out of China suggesting the Wuhan death figures are severely massaged and are more like 10 times the government official utterances.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 06:23:20 PM »
Clubs surely won't want to play games behind closed doors. That would mean no match day sales income, although it might appease BT's desire to televise live games. On the flipside how would STH's feel about games going ahead behind closed doors.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »

My take (FWIW) is that they have been misreported and that she was saying was that there might still be some measure in place in 6 months, not what we're going through now.

There won't be a "big bang" removal of restrictions but a slow easing and I would expect sport to feature early in the lifting with perhaps the round ball game playing behind closed doors as they need to please their paymaster in TV.

My best guess is schools opening after half term with more people being allowed to return to work and a slow relaxation after that. They will still strongly recommend social distancing and advising the vulnerable to continue self-isolate.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:20:08 PM »
I am not keen on summer rugby as I enjoy watching cricket. Can’t do both and what would I watch in the winter?
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 06:19:09 AM »
Some interesting ideas. Personally I'd travel to more games if the weather was warmer as I'd jump on my bike and not have to worry about car parking or waiting for trains.

On the other hand January is already the most boring and cold month of the year and without any Rugby it would be an agonising endurance.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »
I am not keen on summer rugby as I enjoy watching cricket. Can’t do both and what would I watch in the winter?

What's cricket?

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »

What's cricket?

Some sort of noisy insect I think!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »

What's cricket?

Some sort of noisy insect I think!

Ahhhh, of course.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
Is there an lockdown exception for 30-40 people to gather and play sport together? I haven’t seen one. They would all have to test positive for antibodies wouldn’t they?