Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Ruck  (Read 3827 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
The Ruck
« on: April 30, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »
Both speculative articles but one suggests that Ash hasn't reached an agreement with Wasps. Also a rehash around our fly half stock, and is pure speculation and flights of fancy, some more rehashing of the Freddie Burns story. There is a real lack of Wasps intel. out there, so it looks like The Ruck is creating some click-bait.

Ash

https://www.ruck.co.uk/sale-sharks-transfers-3-possible-replacements-for-rob-webber/

Fly Halves

https://www.ruck.co.uk/wasps-transfers-5-fly-halves-they-should-try-to-sign/

Burns

https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-has-it-freddie-burns-to-make-decision-on-future-this-week/
It was fine when I left it.....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Ruck
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »
Ash leaving sure I could believe that, but our fly half situation doesn't sound uncertain. Umaga, Sopoaga, Mills (at a stretch) and/or Gopperth. Believe that's plenty of depth.

Also when did Sopoaga not re-sign rumour start? He's heavily hinted he's staying not just remainder of this season, but also next season.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:31:29 AM by HDAWG »

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »
Like I said speculation, Both Lima himself and Blackett have implied that he will be around next season. He has a +1 extension (it is rumoured) that looks like it will be triggered, Rob Miller can also cover 10, always done a more than a reasonable job when asked. I think adding Burns would be more of a disruption than anything else.
It was fine when I left it.....

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »
The fly-half piece is particularly speculative.  As well as Searle leaving (confirmed), they go on to speculate that both Sopoaga and Gopperth are also off.  Most recent talk I've heard from Wasps suggests that Sopoaga may still be around next season.  I've seen nothing to indicate that Gopperth won't be staying.  We all wonder how many years he has in the tank, and I was among those seriously questioning how well he would return from a long injury lay off at his age, but he has confounded all of that.  I feel we'll get at least another season out of him, maybe more.  He's proved in the last few games just how crucial he is to Wasps and I'm sure we will do all we can to keep hold of him.

So based on my (IMO less wild) speculation, we have 3 front line fly halves on the books for next season, rather than just Umaga as the article suggests, and with a good range of skills and experience, backed up by Mills and Miller in the event of more than 1 being injured at the same time.  Don't need any of those suggested.  Having been given a good run at 10 and repaid that faith with interest, Umaga will be a touch miffed if a big name overseas FH is brought in expecting to be first choice.

Besides which, rugby finances currently don't allow for anyone to be bringing in big headline overseas stars.  I'd consider Wasps reckless in the extreme if they brought in a Carter or a Foley on big £££.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:35 AM »
I find the Ruck much like a coronavirus update, often just a rehash of old stories, how many times do they bring up the Josh Lewsey / Danny Boy Punch up..... boring speculative journos with nothing better to do

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
No time for them.

Ash I can see but would be sorry.
Fly half I agree we are well stocked and there must be a youngster behind Jacob.
Burns I can't see why we would spend considerable money bringing him in when it could be saved or used for the likes of Tibo.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »
The speculation pieces they’ve put out are absolutely pointless reads. Had one last week saying Sarries would be wise to sign Gopperth to guide them through the championship.
Just bored journalists

We’ll have all three current 10s there next season and Mills who can play there too.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »
Burns off to Japan next season - rumour killed (from a TRP message).
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
It must be hard for content creators out there, very little to do, resulting in non stories like this. I am not excusing them, of course, just saying this nebulous stuff is more likely now.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »
Saw a new one today with Maryland Yarde photoshopped into a wasps kit because with Watson off and Sirker still injured, we’re short on the wing.
DTH Vd Merwe, Haylett Petty, Tomane also mentioned from memory but there is no reason or logic in the article that links them to wasps other than they might be out of contract this year

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
Wouldn't touch Yarde with a barge pole, he's reportedly a very prone to disrupting the squad he is in. The only person I would be interested in is DTH. The man is a very good finisher and with Japan probably being his last World Cup, Canada would likely be looking to replace him meaning he would be away on internationals

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »
I'll say Haylett Petty is class, I think our stock of wingers are pretty fantastic. God I can't wait to see Sirker play for starting team.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
What if Christian Wade doesn’t make the cut at American Football .......
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 09:30:05 PM »
Basketball.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 10:50:16 PM »
What if Christian Wade doesn’t make the cut at American Football .......

I would love for him to return to rugby and wasps but not on the back of a failure. The best way it could work would be for him to make it into the playing squad but realise he misses rugby and the Wasps family