Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Barney Burnham retires from Wasps duties.  (Read 1525 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Barney Burnham retires from Wasps duties.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
A true Wasps legend. Thank you for everything Barney.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »
A true Wasps supporter, who I always found very friendly, although some found him a bit aloof.

I know he moved away from Heston down to his home area of Worcester a few years ago.

Something he didn't mention about that A team match at Iffley Road, was that it rained. It rained so much that the entire pitch was under water for the majority of the match, and, for the spectators you couldn't tell which team was which - they were all just muddy brown from head to foot. I sat next to him and the, then, Wasps CEO in the "grandstand" which was the driest place in the area. Driest being relative - by the time I had driven back to Prestwood with the car heater on full I was merely soaked through.

Have a great retirement, probably enjoying fine wine and fine opera.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »
Excellent final piece full of memories. Nice guy often met him on planes out. Hoping he is retiring for all the right reasons and hope he enjoys the rest of his days. Will be missed.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
Barney has been great value down the years. I first met him on tour in Europe back in 2002 or 2003 and enjoyed many a glass of local red wines and fine food. He was also a key part of the charity walks that Wasps supporters used to embark upon. I joined him on one in 2008, where we walked from Kingsholm to High Wycombe, raising money following the horrendous floods in Tewkesbury.

More recently, I've enjoyed hearing him guest commentate on local radio. It was refreshing to hear commentary ever so slightly tilted towards Wasps -- continually referring to Wasps as "we" and cheering the team on from the commentary box -- finally giving us the sort of commentary that Gloucester and Leicester fans have enjoyed for many years on their own local stations.

Happy retirement Barney.  You're now free to return to the message boards, and resume the quest for perfect punctuation and grammar.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 01:35:58 PM »
“Happy retirement Barney.  You're now free to return to the message boards, and resume the quest for perfect punctuation and grammar“

Hear, hear!  I have never knowingly met him but do remember many decent posts on the old DW site.  It will be good if he posts here.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »
A great guy and excellent reporter with, as he says, a Wasps bias. Managed to upset some people on the other site who needed to be upset.
I tried a couple of times to find out how he voted in Worcester in the 1970 General Election when I was the Labour candidate. I can't remember if he claimed he was too young to vote - that was the first GE when 18-year-olds were allowed to vote  - in order not to hurt my feelings.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 10:32:28 PM »
A great guy and excellent reporter with, as he says, a Wasps bias. Managed to upset some people on the other site who needed to be upset.
I tried a couple of times to find out how he voted in Worcester in the 1970 General Election when I was the Labour candidate. I can't remember if he claimed he was too young to vote - that was the first GE when 18-year-olds were allowed to vote  - in order not to hurt my feelings.

I am certain that Mr B was telling the truth!

(Talking of parliamentary elections, a friend of mine beat a certain T. Bliar into 3rd place in the Beaconsfield Constituency in the 1982 by election.)