Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter supporters petition for club to drop 'racist' Native American branding.  (Read 25480 times)

MarleyWasp

I really hope they choose Sentinels as their new name.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting that Washington seem to have been much influenced by their sponsors. Rather like various major corporations have now said they will remove their adverts from Facebook unless they stop of their more unattractive pieces of news. Money talks.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
If I was going in the merch game, I’d be rubbing my hands. There’ll be a stack of new gear on sale which everyone who wants to show club loyalty will need to buy. All the old gear, instead of being retro, just becomes toxic and offensive to wider society. I’m surprised owners haven’t been more willing to change theirs clubs names. I’d probably go about making some retro club gear with the new branding on it, just to make sure all bases are covered.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
I find it incredibly sad that a Exeter Chiefs supporters group has set up a petition group to rival the one asking the club to abolish its Native American stereotyping by claiming the club is "honouring" them! Alas it seems narrow minded racism will find any excuse to fuel it's fire.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
When I was at school, the term ‘chief’ was was adopted as an insult. Nothing to do with Native Americans, but simply arose to common usage after Full Metal Jacket was released. In the film, among the many classic insults thrown was “Chief Numb-nuts”. Even today, when I hear the terms Chief or Chiefs, it reminds me of that phrase.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I don't have a problem with clubs tagging a moniker to their location club name.

I doubt the marketing person who advised Exeter at the time realised decades later that decision might be scrutinised.

Sale Sharks.. are there any sharks in Sale.. Bristol Bears.. and when did Leicester have any tigers on the loose.

Maybe Exeter RFC can use all the money it makes from cashing in on the native indian theme and build a proper stadium.

I think the west stand is new.. south stand (if I've got my bearings correct) looks like a wedding marquee.. the other sheds wouldn't be out of place in 4th division football.

Are terracing crowds still permitted?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I don't believe that anyone really minds them being the Exeter Chiefs, I'm sure there's plenty wanting a change of name, but the word chief is not solely used to describe indigenous Americans.

The problem is the imagery that goes along with it.

Exeter chiefs is fine. Just go for a different image, a naval chief, a Celtic chief since that is their heritage etc. Just don't use a load of imagery that has bugger all to do with the club, it's roots, or anything whatsoever, and is offensive to the people who's heritage it is.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Exeter Eggchasers.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
and when did Leicester have any tigers on the loose.

I believe Tigers is derived from the Leicestershire Regiment (my dad's former regiment coincidentally), they had long service in India and their principal battle honour "Hindustan" was displayed on their cap badge, which was a tiger.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

W2APS

The new name Washington Football Team is super classic and I like it.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I'm hoping my 5 mins of double checking I'm not stupid..

Washington DC.. or nearby area

So it could be Washington Potemacs.. everyone likes a river.. even if it does freeze over

Washington Independants (I'll claim the 5th on that one)

The club could pick so many options that would hopefully not offend anyone

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The problem is that you have to keep on paying the 'wokegeld'.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Jeez even makes the BBC lunch news.
Let me tell you something cucumber