Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Will Rowlands  (Read 6315 times)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Will Rowlands
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 09:22:49 AM »
I would have thought Rowlands would have stayed for the final year on his contract but guess the re-negotiations left it open for him to leave.
I assume none of the other Welsh regions were interested currently but to go to Dragons and get bettered week-in week-out seems like a step backwards.
I hope this doesn't affect his Welsh ambitions as his form could take a hit, probably why Cory Hill has moved on.

Tibo is a different situation. Him moving to France doesn't help whatever team he moves to as he isn't in their French player requirements, he would be classed as a foreign player so it is a big risk for any French team. I guess we need to see how that one plays out.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »
Is this essentially the same scenario that Tiggers have been faced with recently?  Does this also mean that any of the other senior squad members who haven't recently signed new contracts are in a similar position whereby they can move on? 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
Is this essentially the same scenario that Tiggers have been faced with recently?  Does this also mean that any of the other senior squad members who haven't recently signed new contracts are in a similar position whereby they can move on?

Probably - from Sunday's TRP it looked like Lima was looking to move. Just quieter than the Tigers hooha
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
I remain sceptical until this is confirmed. I’ve previously expressed my scepticism about the benefits to him of moving to Newport even if, as claimed, the WRU will pay 80% of whatever salary he might have been offered.
He’s already in the Wales squad so can stay with Wasps for another season and then, like Francis at Exeter, “extend” his contract.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:04 PM »
The Dragons is not a step up, for sure.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
Looks like this deal is off due to wage restructuring.

Just trying to find an official link about it

Edit: this is the best link I can find at the moment... It actually seems more like speculation than anything definitive

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/new-plans-cut-welsh-rugby-18662366
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:21:26 PM by wasps »

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
Sounds messy, where does that leave both players then? Is Rowlands now without a contract for next season?  Hopefully Wasps can encourage him to sign a long term deal.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »
Yet to be officially announced, doesn't indicate its off to me just yet.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
Sounds messy, where does that leave both players then? Is Rowlands now without a contract for next season?  Hopefully Wasps can encourage him to sign a long term deal.

There are a lot of if and unknowns about this story.

If Rowlands declined to accept new terms on his current contract then that contract will now be terminated (so I'm not sure how he intended to leave on amicable terms by finishing the 19/20 season off with Wasps)

He may have been advised by his agent that doing so would allow him to move to one of the Welsh regions 1 yr early. I'm not quite sure why he would do that though because if he'd seen his contract out with us he would still be available for selection for Wales.

Would he be earning more at Dragons compared to his contract less 25% at Wasps?

Given the WRU partly finance the regions (maybe WRU want to reduce that burden), and the WRU and regions are in a financial hole, moving to them now (and not a year later) seems like a risky move.

If Rowlands now changes his mind and decides to stay at wasps, he will have to sign a new contract at probably even less than his last contract less 25% (as Wasps know he has no other options), and being a new contract, he won't be available for Wales selection.

Having typed the above, I'm struggling to believe the online story.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:54:02 AM by BG »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
If no Welsh region offers him a competitive contract, then he can sign for Wasps and still be eligible for Wales.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
Neither Wasps, Dragons nor Rowlands have confirmed, or denied, the original story.

Perhaps it was, heavens forbid, media speculation or even an agent-inspired story trying to get a better deal (I'm sure that doesn't happen though  :) )

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 09:10:53 PM »
If no Welsh region offers him a competitive contract, then he can sign for Wasps and still be eligible for Wales.

Where did you read that?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 09:50:43 PM »

Where did you read that?

Ages ago when they released the new qualifications details. If no Welsh region offers a competitive contract, the player is still available. Of course, what qualifies as competitive can be argued, but no offer is definitely not competitive.

I suspect that's actually how Francis has stayed available, Wales need him, and he wants to stay with Exeter, he tells them as much and they just don't offer a contract, everyone is "happy".

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 11:43:27 PM »
Except Francis has opted to end his Intl career by resigning for Exeter as he is no longer eligible.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 11:53:03 PM »
Except Francis has opted to end his Intl career by resigning for Exeter as he is no longer eligible.

He's done that a few times now and still manages to pull on a Welsh jersey. Looks like he will again:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/confusing-tomas-francis-loophole-potential-18591656

Though now I'm looking it looks like the requirement for an offer by a region counts any more.