Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Loose Heads  (Read 4663 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Loose Heads
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »
JTA had a very good day. 5 months off and he is far quicker around the park, has more stamina, so I suspect he is leaner and fitter.

If he's leaner, he's hiding it very well! Perhaps he just had his abs strapped very well.  Mind you, still in better shape than me!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
The background hum I found bearable but I did miss the Allezs - particularly  when we scored a try! That said, I can understand  that it might not  have been diplomatic  to put one in ...................... or maybe I missed it due to the noise I  was making myself.  Gratefully, I didn't hear  the Exeter Whine if it was played - but my attention did wander for the majority of that match.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
I note some papers are saying that Exeter pumped out the Tom Chop via their PA System.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
Yes, quite agree. It's all about the scrum for me. I don't really want a prop selected because they pop up in the loose with a ten metre carry or a fancy offload. Nice if it happens but not their main purpose.
Given there are only about 10 scrums a match I want more than a stationary lump, I want a prop that contributes around the park. Brookes weak point is his mobility / contribution.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 01:51:02 PM »
But those ten scrums can decide the outcome of the game. Agree it's nice if they can do more but providing scrum stability is the absolute priority for me.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 02:57:01 PM »
Forwards win games.. the backs decide by how much

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 03:38:28 PM »
But those ten scrums can decide the outcome of the game. Agree it's nice if they can do more but providing scrum stability is the absolute priority for me.
Don't disagree but they don't have to be mutually exclusive...

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 05:26:23 PM »
The background hum I found bearable but I did miss the Allezs - particularly  when we scored a try! That said, I can understand  that it might not  have been diplomatic  to put one in ...................... or maybe I missed it due to the noise I  was making myself.  Gratefully, I didn't hear  the Exeter Whine if it was played - but my attention did wander for the majority of that match.

I heard someone on BT, ahead of Friday's game I think, say that they take the crowd "soundtrack" from last season's equivalent fixture and break that down so that they can recreate the same noise based on what's going on in the game. I don't think BT have got it quite right yet. I noticed it far more than I have during televised football in recent months. And if they're getting it right then we shouldn't be noticing it at all.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Sheridan was a loose head... 6'4 I believe
I think Ben Harris us also a 6'4 loose head

Someone like Phil Vickery was a pretty tall tight head... 6'3 from memory
I believe JTA is 6'3 or 6'4

It's quite common for props to be a couple of inches over 6 feet these days.

Besides, before lockdown, he was showing glimpses of strong scrummaging, but often followed by a penalty or getting himself slightly in the wrong position.

I suspect, like with a lot of SH imports, he needed to adapt to the NH game.
It's quite possible that scrummaging has different nuances in England than it does in NZ

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
On the subject of props, what happened to Owlett?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 02:16:57 PM »
He's very much part of the squad and with the upcoming proliferation of games and Brookes' injury I think we'll see a fair bit of him.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
Peej, he's still around, I reckon he'll get more game time now with squad rotation

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 03:11:21 PM »
Good to hear, but having been a regular early doors he completely disappeared November-March (or seemed to at least)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 04:00:47 PM »
Didn’t he pick up a knock and then Alo found some form so I don’t think he featured since Dai’s departure.
We have really great options on both sides of the scrum and some pretty good youngsters coming though as well

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
I get the impression from here and elsewhere that people are very keen for JTA to do well and generally quite negative about Brookes.
When we signed them everyone was positive about JTA being signed but perhaps less so about  Brookes.
 I don't know that much about the big chaps' art in the tight, but I suspect the scrum stats with Brookes in will be pretty good. Does anyone have them?