Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'England star in waiting' - Bobby's Player Ratings  (Read 3357 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: 'England star in waiting' - Bobby's Player Ratings
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
I think Baths biggest props are still arguably their best tackling and running props, so I do get it.

Didn't do them much good, did it?
It didn't and we don't know if a change would have either..

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »
One of Gaskells was when Barnes called 'ball available' and Jamma took him at his word and got penalised. So I would say that one was definitely not his fault.

I thought that was particularly daft. Barnes said it was available, as in the scrum half has access to it. He didn't say the ball was out, and it clearly wasn't out!

The ball was on the ground, maul is over at that point. I'd argue the player wasn't bound to anyone either, so had left the maul, and it's over that way too. I can't blame Gaskell going for that in the slightest.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »
I thought somewhere in the week it was reported that Willis conceded six penalties by himself against Sale.
JTAs seat belt tackle penalty could have happened to anyone, it did however lead to them getting 7 points - that and their first try could have been easily avoided.
I’d let JTA carry on doing what he’s doing though but want to see him carry more like he did at the Canes

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
Two, same as Gaskell and Zach.

In total since the restart we've conceded 50 penalties. JTA has conceded the most (6), with Gaskell, Taylor and Jack next on four. Shields and Young on 3.

To  get a better metric you need number of penalties given vs minutes played. It would not be perfect, but it would allow a better comparison. If someone plays 160 minutes for four pens, and another plays 80 for the same, the rate is obviously halved. Not sure if anyone has these to hand. 

Must admit I was impressed with our scrum until uncontested- markedly better than vs Sale, and would not be surprised if the starting TH shirt  remains where it is for the Sarries game.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »
One of Gaskells was when Barnes called 'ball available' and Jamma took him at his word and got penalised. So I would say that one was definitely not his fault.

I thought that was particularly daft. Barnes said it was available, as in the scrum half has access to it. He didn't say the ball was out, and it clearly wasn't out!

The ball was on the ground, maul is over at that point. I'd argue the player wasn't bound to anyone either, so had left the maul, and it's over that way too. I can't blame Gaskell going for that in the slightest.

Me too. To expect a player to differentiate between "ball out" and "ball available" [for the 9] was really harsh.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 03:18:01 PM »
I thought somewhere in the week it was reported that Willis conceded six penalties by himself against Sale.
JTAs seat belt tackle penalty could have happened to anyone, it did however lead to them getting 7 points - that and their first try could have been easily avoided.
I’d let JTA carry on doing what he’s doing though but want to see him carry more like he did at the Canes

I think the blame for this lies with Gopperth coughing up first phase attacking ball in midfield by dawdling with it, to be honest. After that the defence was scrambling. Somebody was going to get pinged.

I'd have marked J TA down for that ludicrous attempt at a hack through when he should have just dived on the ball and secured it.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 04:00:21 PM »
I'm not sure JTA did anything wrong, not to be called out on anyway, otherwise we'd be calling everyone out for stupid decisions, like Kiberige for getting up again etc..

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
Kiberige wasn't being stupid for getting back up as that must of been the weakest held tackle in history as his return to his feet met infinitesimal resistance.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 06:18:26 AM »
I like what JTA is doing. He’ll tweak and adjust, but he’s hugely enthusiastic and always trying to make an impact. I think the pens will cease but great to have a presence like his in the front row.

If Rowlands does head to the valleys and we get a lump in the row, looking tasty up front.