Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BT on Sky  (Read 2877 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
BT on Sky
« on: September 21, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »
Not sure if this helps anyone, but Sky now appear to do a 31 day rolling contract for BT sport at 25 pcm for their existing customers ion their platform, which can be switched on or off on their website. This might be an option for those who just watch BT for the rugby 9 months a year, or for those who notice that we have a lot of games in a particular month that they can't get to in future- effectively a one off one month for 25.

Sky are also are bundling the two packages (Sky plus BT) for 40 pcm on an 18 month contract as you would expect. By comparison, watching regular BT Sport on Sky via BT themselves is a whopping 30 pcm with no contract, but if you ring and ask for a contract they seem to be offering 24 pcm on two year deals as standard, so a pound off Sky's rolling contract but you are tied to a contract. I know they also do bundle deals for their platform too.

Either way watching on Sky you get the BT channels but not extra, but the red button service does work (but cannot be recorded).

Not trying to sell anyone on a platform, but thought the rolling contract thing is something people with Sky already and no BT might wish to consider if they are not STH's with access codes to BT coverage.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:42:36 PM by westwaleswasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BT on Sky
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:45:51 PM »
I had BT from BT up until today! Got a 22 quid a month offer from Sky so took it. Upshot is haggle politely!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »

Sky are also are bundling the two packages (Sky plus BT) for 40 pcm on an 18 month contract as you would expect.

The deal that I was offered in a mailshot is BT Sport + All Sky Sport for £35 a month on an 18 month deal. Tempted to ring them and see if they would do a deal for £30 a month.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 03:31:30 PM »
We're naughty and use my Mother-in-Law's login for the BT Sport app (with her permission, I might add).  She's a BT Broadband client and we're not, so unless we take a paid-for TV package (i.e. BT/Sky/Virgin) we can't get BT Sport.

In return, she uses our NowTV login with Sky Sports subscription to watch the F1.  Which, incidentally, was just offered at £20 per month for 9 months which we've just taken up (down from £34).

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 03:59:34 PM »
I stayed with BT on Sky from BT for similar reasons. Sky Go is not as good as BT's website for watching, and my dad watches our BT via our login. I pay a bit more rather than bundling them from one provider but the benefit is there. Since my parents have been very generous to us, I did not want to nick BT off them.

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
Managed to get BT Sport from Sky for £16/mth, just in time for the reprise. Can cancel but won't at that price. Rugby or nothing, so no Sky Sports.

Kids have gone for something called a Monthly Pass direct from BT. £25pcm I think. Works on lots of devices, and I gather also includes replay of red button games (which Sky doesn't). So currently more like RugbyPass/NBC but prob better quality, etc. Do check I've got details right!

Wonder what the chances are of BT streaming every game next season? I'd definitely pay more and reckon Prem/clubs should bundle full-streaming with tickets to minimise cannibalisation/substitution, assuming attendance actually an option. Reason I wasn't getting to more matches was simply because I couldn't due to other obligations, and could be years until I can use a season ticket again.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:59 PM »
No idea when crowds are back, but if they were I could not get a ST anyway.

I  would consider the old half or mini ST, if an opportunity arose. What tends to happen is such deals are not well thought out. I will happily sign up to watch  some less attended games- e.g. 6n clash matches and the like, which I often enjoy more, but the problem is going game by game is often the same price- they can't tell us what the discount is. I can't get a full ST as, well, West Wales and all that plus not driving.

If we ever did an online Wasps TV channel with delayed games etc. I would purchase. Sadly I think rugby is a long way from being able to do that.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
Delay to crowds coming back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745

I can see this being the death knell for Championship clubs, and also for a lot of round ball clubs not in the top flight. The attempt by clubs to sell 2 or even 3 season Season Tickets will thus fall flat, unless their fans are incredibly generous. Not good news for Saracens, but Nigel's pockets are deep.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »
That is not good news for Wasps either - isn't the bond repayment due at the end of the year?

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
May 2022 I believe

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 09:59:54 AM »
Kids have gone for something called a Monthly Pass direct from BT. £25pcm I think. Works on lots of devices, and I gather also includes replay of red button games (which Sky doesn't). So currently more like RugbyPass/NBC but prob better quality, etc. Do check I've got details right!

Since this covers BT's outlay on soccerball and other sports just imagine what an online rugby only streaming service should cost. Under £10/month I reckon. Offer me all rugby, legally, for £15/month and I'm there. Up the payment to all the clubs by 50% and everyone wins. I'm just not spending £25/month to pay for football players to earn millions whilst rugby players don't. I'm hoping CVC have an online rugby streaming service like MLB has in the states in mind for all their rights.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
About time a go ahead club investigated "Wasps TV" as a part money income stream.
My lifelong football club has taken season ticket money but with the current problems are allowing STH free game access to all matches until stadium access is approved.  Others can buy into the coverage at match ticket cost or buy a part season pass. They have employed good commentators and analysts to boost the experience. STHs are to get other benefits as the pandemic goes on. It seems to have all round support.
Let me tell you something cucumber

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
Got BT Line with BB, and BT Sport for c £70. Sky sport on BT was then an extra £20 pm

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »
Got BT Line with BB, and BT Sport for c £70. Sky sport on BT was then an extra £20 pm

That sounds super expensive, Broadband and a phone line on Fibre to Cabinet giving 70 mbps download is about £24/mnth meaning your BT Sport is costing £46. Cheaper to go elsewhere for the phone line and then pay BT £25 for the streaming Sport deal. That's why I ditched BT in the end. They claim sport is cheap for customers, but they so massively over charge their customers for the internet it really isn't.

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
EE monthly mobile phone customers can get BT Sports app for £15/month with first 3 month free (though price about to go up), as an add on to the mobile contract.

As EE is the only mobile signal at my house, it was a no brainer!