Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread Vs Quins  (Read 7309 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread Vs Quins
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2020, 11:39:57 PM »
Isn't it nice when you spoil the oppo's party? ;D ;D ;D

I always thought we would get the 5 pointer but I confess I did start to worry when they scored their third try ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2020, 12:21:32 AM »
I watched the recording 'as live' after the game finished. This was deliberate as the only game I've actually watched live since the restart we lost. I hope to keep doing this for the next 3 games this season.

I thought Dobby was very poor until the end. Slow and inaccurate passing, indecisive and errors. Saw he was Capt but didn't see any evidence of that on the pitch. Think his obvious nerves reflected on the team, particularly Jacob. After the red card I was screaming at the TV to get the ball wide where the space was. When he finally did it we scored. I'm sure he'll be much better next time and Joe should be back to bring the control we lacked.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 12:29:46 AM »
I watched the recording 'as live' after the game finished. This was deliberate as the only game I've actually watched live since the restart we lost. I hope to keep doing this for the next 3 games this season.

I thought Dobby was very poor until the end. Slow and inaccurate passing, indecisive and errors. Saw he was Capt but didn't see any evidence of that on the pitch. Think his obvious nerves reflected on the team, particularly Jacob. After the red card I was screaming at the TV to get the ball wide where the space was. When he finally did it we scored. I'm sure he'll be much better next time and Joe should be back to bring the control we lacked.

I fully agree about Dan - some of his passes were woeful being too high or too low to allow meaningful progression. I was surprised he wasn't subbed for Vellacott. As a Captain he should have been in the Ref's ear like half the Quins team were. Thought I heard Lee say that they had too long off between matches!
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2020, 07:13:08 AM »
I'd like to hear that Blackett got his Captains together ie Launchbury, Young and Robson and perhaps Gopperth also and remind them of their worth to the team as decision makers when things are not going to plan.

Perhaps invite Dallaglio in so he can share his experience on this and how to enter into dialogue with the Referee as I agree with others that we don't communicate with the officials as much as other teams do.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
Maybe they should talk more to the ref, not sure that being in their ear the whole time works either though. Careful comments that could affect future decisions should be the focus, not whinging about previous decisions that won't be changed.

It would have been hard to begrudge Robshaw getting man of the match, he stood out as having a good game and would probably have got it if Quins had won. Ugo couldn't do that though as he would have felt biased and would be hammered on social media. Wasps did well to grind out a win and turn performances around, but not sure anyone really stood out.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2020, 08:49:00 AM »
Ugo couldn't do that though as he would have felt biased and would be hammered on social media.

Assuming there's heavy sarcasm in there somewhere?!?!  :D

He's never been shy of a Quins love in before.  With him and Dallaglio commentating last night, both with strong ties to the 2 teams, it was evident that Lol had at least one and a half eyes open, whereas Monye still has too many mates in that Quins set up for him to be remotely impartial.  I always find Lol to be pretty balanced in his commentary, but I'm conscious that as a Wasps fan, listening to someone with perhaps a slight leaning to Wasps might not grate in quite the same way as it would an opposition fan, so maybe I just don't notice it as much.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2020, 09:17:47 AM »
Certainly most of the sports network group fans complain vociferously about Lol's commentary, especially when covering Wasps, Tigers especially.

I thought Ugo was not as pro Quins as normal during the game, he made up for it after but then again Robshaw is a top bloke who has earnt respect on the pitch for his performances and off the pitch for calling out Sarries and conducting himself well generally.

I don't have a problem with a little bias in the studio at HT, but always prefer expert summarisers to either be neutral or to be openly clear that they are speaking with a club hat on, ideally with one from each club.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
I find Austin Healey far and away the best analyst. He's insightful with no hint of bias. He parodies himself too sometimes which is quite amusing.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2020, 09:24:36 AM »
Whilst lol and Ugo can be insightful and humorous, and acknowledging that we all have some bias in our view of the world, both make poor match commentators for me. I am sorry, but I do not know his name, but the guy who commentates often on games shown on the 'extra' channels (where the game is on on BT Sports 1,2 or 3) is far better. The guy who commentated on the last of our matches to be shown on BT Sport 1 Extra I think, from memory.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
Healey and Kay are both very good. Prefer both to Ugo and Lol. Have to say, I feel Ugo has some decent insights, but they do tend to be offset with some more general guff.

Flatman is very good, enjoy listening to him, same with Warburton.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
I thought Ugo was not as pro Quins as normal during the game, he made up for it after but then again

It did make me chuckle when he winged before kick off that the word “confidence” was used over 50 times already to describe the change in Wasps’ fortune.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
Ugo always comes across a bit like a commentator in the Olympics who is asked to cover some obscure sport they've never watched before and drunkenly read the Wikipedia page on the sport to try and give the impression he knows what he's on about. Whilst he does have some good insights occasionally he waffles too much and gets too many things wrong.

Healey is good, apart from when he tries to be funny. Ben Kay is someone I find infuriating and very anti-Wasps. He never seems to have a good word to say about it, and whilst he is a director at Leicester in the same way Lawrence is at Wasps, he seems much more involved in day to day decisions, which I don't think enables him to stay neutral. I think, to be honest Lawrence is pretty biased towards Wasps and I can see why he rarely features on our matches, but at least when we're playing badly he will say so. Flatman is a natural at this media lark.

Going back to the match, I commented in the morning all thread about the steel the squad have developed to grind out wins and it really showed last night. The red card helped us, but I think the extended break between the ball going out of play and play eventually restarting after the red card was more important as it gave us a chance to calm down and reset before play resumed. Jack was quite simply exceptional, Tom did little wrong. The pack were dominant and not fairly rewarded in my view.

The backs were a bit anonymous. When Jacob makes an error he tends to fall apart pretty quickly and I think he benefitted from having Gopperth outside him last night, unlike in the second half against Sale when Gopperth was at Full Back. Dobby managed to combine the sublime with the ridiculous at times. His pass to Young for the third try and kick shortly after the red card tackle were the sublime elements of his game.

At the time I was surprised about the red card, but having watched it back and listened to Luke Pearce's reasoning, I actually found it refreshing to see an official take the view that the tackled players action to protect themselves against serious injury should not be a mitigating factor in the outcome. My concern whenever you hear a referee say a player lands on an arm that they have naturally put out to break their fall means it's a yellow is that we will create an environment where players try to stop protecting themselves and will eventually result in serious injury. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if it gets overturned at the RFU Disciplinary Hearing.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
Ben Kay is someone I find infuriating and very anti-Wasps. He never seems to have a good word to say about it,

He has been praising Jack Willis frequently of late.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
Probably gritted teeth
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
Ben Kay is someone I find infuriating and very anti-Wasps. He never seems to have a good word to say about it,

He has been praising Jack Willis frequently of late.....

With the way Jack's been playing how can he not?!