Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad Shields  (Read 3992 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Brad Shields
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »
+1 regarding Brad, however I think Alfie has some of Ashley's attributes and we may see him in a fluid role for a while.
It was fine when I left it.....

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 09:17:03 PM »
I think Brad must have had a difficult time when he moved here. The signing may have been triggered by discussions in the shadows (move to Eng and there's a good chance you can start an international career).

Things then probably didn't pan out how he had hoped and it probably took a bit of re-adjustment on his and his family's part.

I can't put my finger on why, but he seems like a changed man. Perhaps Jack and Tom Willis taking some of the media spotlight away from him has helped.

He's turned into a Richard Hill type player, going about his business, no-one really noticing.

+1

There was a lot of expectation when he arrived and that *may* have put him under a bit too much pressure. Anyway, whatever happened he now seems to growing in to his role and circumstances and is quietly getting on with his job while others are justifiably getting the accolades.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 09:35:40 PM »
Alfie has a number of talents and it is better to use him to the maxx.

It is not about Brad Shields. He will be gone in 2-3 years.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »
Yes, but Alfie is tall for a hooker and Ogrhe has many of those other characteristics.

In the Bristol game our comments around the table were that perhaps Thacker was maybe too short compared to his props. As with all team games it’s getting the balance right

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »
Yes, but Alfie is tall for a hooker and Ogrhe has many of those other characteristics.

In the Bristol game our comments around the table were that perhaps Thacker was maybe too short compared to his props. As with all team games it’s getting the balance right

That's what Leicester thought when they let Thacker go, wasn't it, and I'm sure they'd take him back any day!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »

So here's the question I suppose.

Focusing solely on primary hooker skills, would we want Oghre or Barbeary as first choice over the course of the next year or 2 ?

I know that having both is a nice problem, but we want to make sure we're utilising their skillsets to the max.

I want to know which is the best hooker and then decide from there.
All I've seen so far is Barbeary ram through players (admittedly, a nice skill to have), but I haven't seen him hook a ball or throw into a lineout under pressure
Tom Lindsay was handy around the park but couldn't their straight enough under pressure.

Let's also not forget that Oghre has skills around the park too. He looked pretty handy in the back row as well.

However, I'm not sure that either start in the back row if we have 2 Willis's and a Young available

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »
Ogre is dynamite..love what he has - best 2 we have over the ball
Cruise is solid & epitomises giving 100% to the cause every week. - Great at everything, excels at nothing
TT is TT - Best defending 2 by some margin and top workrate
Barbearry - Without seeing I can't comment

I'm happy to wait a year to see what Barbs does at hooker...game time in the BR looks about right to me. Given the attrition in the BR i see him getting a bit of time here next season.
Never been so stocked in 1 position, i wouldn't bat an eye at any of the top three starting next week.