Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Blackett: 11 Unavailable for Saturday  (Read 1854 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Blackett: 11 Unavailable for Saturday
« on: October 22, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54644695

Of those 11, Blackett says four would have probably been in the matchday 23.

Probably just about accounts for those missing from yesterday's training footage.  Assuming the matchday 23 he's referring to is pretty close to the semi and that Malakai has not been hit by COVID as well as injury, that's 5 changes to the 23 from the semi.

Not ideal, but we will still have a strong side out, and most of the key names (J Willis, Launchbury, Robson, Gopperth, Umaga etc) were clearly visible.

Covkid48

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Blackett: 11 Unavailable for Saturday
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
looking at the clip of them training it looks like the first 15 will be strong but we will probably weaker from the bench, the standout names that I couldn't see on the clip would be starters are Brookes and Shields. if that's the case we will still have a strong team.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
looking at the clip of them training it looks like the first 15 will be strong but we will probably weaker from the bench, the standout names that I couldn't see on the clip would be starters are Brookes and Shields. if that's the case we will still have a strong team.

JTA and T Willis I think were both seen in the video.  That's a couple of strong reinforcements into the starting XV I'd imagine.

I'm taking other people's word for it on some of these as apart from those that were more prominent, I struggled to spot the rest.  But we should be able to start with this lot:

15 Minozzi
14 Kibirige
13 JDJ/MLB
12 Gopperth
11 Bassett
10 Umaga
9  Robson
1  McIntyre
2  Taylor
3  JTA
4  Launch
5  Rowlands
6  J Willis
7  Young
8  T Willis

That's a very strong starting team.  Bench will be interesting, especially among the forwards, and front row in particular.  If only 4 are gone from the Bristol game, and 2 of those accounted for above, that's only another 2 unavailable for the bench.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
Back row cover could be an area of weakness on the bench. I'd be tempted to pick Gaby as back row cover.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
If Brookes is out I could see Alo starting to try to ensure solid scrum initially with JTA off the bench in the impact role he has done well but perhaps a bit earlier than previously.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
MarleyWasp,
Are you assuming Alfie Barbeary's not available? Cos, if he is, I'd have him on the bench.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
Based on the fact I couldn't see him on the video the club released yesterday, that is sadly what I am presuming. Obviously if he is available he's on the bench.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 05:09:14 PM »
Brookes not being available is a big loss, if it turns out to be the case. He is so useful around the paddock and at set piece time.

The loss of him and Brad is worse than say Zach and Jamma.

But the show goes on. I think being underdogs is always a good thing. The champions of Europe might slip, you never know.

hopwood

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 05:13:14 PM »
Feel desperately sorry for the guys missing out.

If the rumours are true...

...then finals don't come about very often...and Brad Shields was expressing his excitement and anticipation last week in the Rugby Paper.
His last final was with Wellington just before he joined Wasps...and his leadership would have been vital in the run up to the game.

Really feel for Kieran Brookes too. No one has worked as hard as him to come back into the fold and get up to international level again.
We will miss him.