Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Quins game  (Read 4197 times)

Mark.e7

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Quins game
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
Sorry, I know it's short notice.
  A few of us Wasps fans from the Renegades are getting together for the Quins game at The Old Clarence, Earlsdon, Coventry.
6:30pm onwards if anyone want's to come & join us.
Mega short notice so not really expecting miracles.
  Cheers

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Quins game
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Unfortunately with a 5 hour flight it's a bit too short notice for me ;).

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
Sadly I'll be beating people to within an inch of their lives in exchange for money in Surrey. But raise a glass for me!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
We don't looked dangerous enough in phase play for me.  Gopps secures our defence, and is a very good runner, but I prefer him at 12 than 10.  Quins will have been extremely fired up for this game, and we've just gone into the shed ahead, that'll hurt their confidence and help ours I reckon.  We need to keep our foot on their throats now, even if it's only done in 3s.  Funnily enough, we seem more willing to play from deep within our own half, but it's the wrong personnel to be doing that.  When with Cips we seemed to clear out most stuff deeper than our 10m line, when we are fluid with him ball in hand, now we're with Gops, more suited to a kicking and defensive game, we're taking more chances.

Think we've been lucky not to give away one or two more scrum penalties, I'm sure other refs would have given them.  Bit annoyed by one of our attacking rucks, when the tackler got up, long after the ruck was formed, and competed for the ball.  Barnes told him no, but that completely killed our quick ball.  On the topic of quick ball, Robson has been like lightening for me, balls are getting shipped out so quickly when he's presented with even half decent ball.

Balls still not sticking to hand well enough, but it's just got to stick enough times.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »
We have lost that game. Ah well. On to the Sarries game. Cliff hanger.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »
Just got online. Anyone want to fill me in on what went wrong so I don't have to watch?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 12:08:17 AM »
I think we choked VV. WLR had a mare and Daly didn't look like a Lion. Hask is off the pace. It looks like he hasn't fully recovered from his toe injury (and possibly may never will). Nick Evans played his best game for a long time. I wouldn't bother watching it will only upset you.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 12:17:25 AM »
Damn. Not a lot to say to that...

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 12:36:51 AM »
Really bad day at the office VV. Harlequins dominated the ball and bossed the breakdowns. Our wide men were starved and Wade and Daly became bystanders. Too many errors, too many knock ons, too many handling errors, too many turn overs. Hasks was visibly blowing quite early on, two yellows didn't help either. Cips made a difference but was brought on too late. All in all a night to forget and I'm drinking to do that.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »
Stopped watching near the end, think Marchant scored one at the death just as I turned off?

Pissed off we lost, but I hope the message gets through.  It's a kick in the arse to the players (and there's no excuse, it's not like we were playing Leinster), and hopefully also to Dai.  Play what was working for 90% of the season, if Cips was fit he should have been back into the starting lineup.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
It feels almost as if Dai has spent the last month or two telling the players to stop trying to make something out of nothing and constantly run the ball, and now they have.  But that was exactly how we were winning.

I might watch the highlights, but I suspect I will avoid a full replay.

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »
As I arrived at the Stoop last night the guys were making their way through the carpark towards the ground.  I commented to my Quins mate that they looked lackadaisical and Launch looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.  I was worried.  I feared the worst.

In reality I was nowhere close to how bad we really were.  I was in the Debenture Holders bar and there is a talk by a player.  It was Clifford who gave it I think.  He stated that they were really concerned about our back line.  Well he needn't have worried.  Seven individuals turned up.  Daly was not Premiership let alone Lions standard.  Beale and WLR walking disaster areas.  They could not make a correct decision if their lives depended on it.  Should have gone off early.

Was Haskell on the pitch?  Totally anonymous. No follow up by players resulting in us having so many holding on penalties against us.  Seriously deficient.

We played like a team which had already been relegated.  No heart, no consistency and no clue.  I hate to say it but maybe WG and EJ are right in not choosing many Wasps.  Credit to Quins, who did not play well, they made less mistakes and took their chances.

On that performance we are not the best team in England nor in my view even worthy of a playoff place.  We have been getting worse and worse rather that better as the season comes to a climax.  We can only pray other results offset our inadequacy.

I won't be going to the Stoop again as I find the constant negativity towards the ref, maybe just Barnes, so tiresome it made watching unenjoyable. Almost every tackle was high and the comments unpleasant.  It was not aimed at Wasps per se but is attitudinal. The ability to discuss what happened on the pitch sensibly with people has gone as well.  The Sinkler penalty reversal being a case in point.  Opprobrium should be aimed at Sinkler not WB or everyone else on the pitch.  Upset my Quins mate as well but he is a long term Debenture holder at Quins and bleeds Quins so he will keep going.