Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Balance  (Read 2870 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Balance
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
I don't like some of the comments I have read by supprters about some of our players and staff recently. I think it is driven by disappointment, emotion and maybe sometimes drink! No doubt those people will be getting back behind the team to give them support.

So in no way criticising, which would be unfair with the whopping benefit of hindsight that we have. Looking back to the start of the start of the season, all the players clicked together. Then as our new players arrived it seemed unclear how they would fit in. Discussion boards agonised how to fit all these wonderful players into the side. Perhaps they just didn't? At the start of the season the inside centre and full back were a bit thin after key players left. Kurtley Beale injured, Kyle Eastmond brought in to cover centre, but then existing players stepped up to a level, some in unexpected positions (like Gopperth) that made the original plan unbalanced. We ended up over stocked (before injury) at 12, but perhaps weaker at 13 after call ups. Then seeing how Miller stepped up at full back, Bassett going well on the wing with his deceptive strength. The discussion boards must have reflected similar difficulties at the club about where we're these new star players going to fit.

As the season went on our front row and back row took a hammering with injuries and nobody seemed to be able to fill the gap left when Daly was out. With hindsight we probably would have faired better if we had recruited a big prop and an outside centre. I do think that balance is also affected by the big salary players and the pressure to juggle players to get them on the field.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Balance
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »
It's in interesting situation.  It feels to me as if people remember the glory days only too clearly, and feel that somehow that is where we deserve to be.  The horror of almost losing the club seems to be considered nothing but a temporary blip and so the fact that we aren't dominating everyone in every game is seen to be because someone (or some ones) have sabotaged what is ours by right.

From my point of view I would love to wint the Prem, but I'm happy enough to be finishing above Tigers for now.  As long as we stay competitive for a while I won't be too upset.  I love the way we play rugby and so while we continue to do that I will continue to be a vocal supporter.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
Top 4 is all I believe that we can reasonably expect.  There's just too many big spending, well trained clubs.

I do want to see changes to our defensive structures, we need to be getting the ball back before it's 5m on the line defence.  I also want to see Cips back at 10, he pulls the strings of our attacking structures far better than Gops.  When we attempt the individual flair stuff, we screw up big time, but when we stick to our attacking structures, because of those great individuals, we soon make a good break.

waspymatt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
To me, I think some of the issues are with strength and conditioning. When we had the best in the business (IMO) in Paul "Bobby" Stridgeon, we peaked for this final part of the season in terms of our fitness and match sharpness. To me, since the start of the year we have started to look tired and off the pace. It's similar to what happened (in my mind) last season.