Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England game - TV?  (Read 7526 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England game - TV?
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »
For those of you who have newly taken up Amazon be aware of scam calls re subscription payments/cancellations that will probably follow.

Fortunately I have a blocker for these, and can set this up for you.

So if you can P.M. with your bank details, passwords and PIN numbers ......

MarleyWasp

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
S4C will probably not have English commentary. Most of their major Rugby contracts are for Welsh commentary only.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
I must admit I won't be signing up for a trial.
I will make do with C4 for the Ireland games and S4C for the Wales games, plus highlights.
I just don't want to encourage Amazon (or anyone else) at all. Still annoyed by Sky losing England rights but retaining the Lions. For those that do sign up - enjoy the match.

Is the S4C coverage of the Wales v England game in English or Welsh?

It will be Welsh but may have English Subtitles on Red Button.

I always mute the commentators anyway🤣
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
I must admit I won't be signing up for a trial.
I will make do with C4 for the Ireland games and S4C for the Wales games, plus highlights.
I just don't want to encourage Amazon (or anyone else) at all. Still annoyed by Sky losing England rights but retaining the Lions. For those that do sign up - enjoy the match.

Is the S4C coverage of the Wales v England game in English or Welsh?

It will be Welsh but may have English Subtitles on Red Button.

I always mute the commentators anyway🤣

Nah it is interesting trying to see differences between them and similar on  Alba!
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 04:55:13 PM »
Being a fan of International Rugby in the developing nations, watching with commentary in a different language is nothing new. The best language is undoubtedly German. It's entertaining and easy to follow as a lot of the rugby terminology is Germanified. It's much easier to follow then any English commentary with Stuart Barnes...

I decided to boycott the 2015 final (Bath v Saracens) and watch Kenya v Portugal instead. The English-speaking Kenyan commentary team were excellent in their knowledge, passion, understanding and keeping to the point. Many UK based commentary teams could learn a lot from them.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »
S4C will probably not have English commentary. Most of their major Rugby contracts are for Welsh commentary only.

Spot on. For most of the big ones, such as the Lions, the internationals and any pro 14, it must be Welsh only. That is how they get the rights cheaply, the other contract holders such as Sky or Premier have exclusive English rights normally. However, schoolboys level, and league level matches you can choose your language. After a few mins or a couple of glasses you barely notice the commentary in Welsh anyway if the game is good . There will be some (unintentionally hilarious) subtitles in what passes for English. After a while you start to pick up phrases and you listen more to the ref mike.....I am looking forward to S4C coverage, it brings back lots of memories of watching  Cardiff with my wife.

Thanks to hookender for the timely reminder about scams. Had those myself and I don't even have prime....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:39:33 PM by westwaleswasp »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 10:50:09 PM »

I think the biggest factor here is that the younger population go for streaming services over satellite ones.

Younger people will make sure they've got internet, Netflix and prime venue they stay worrying about having a satellite dish/box setup.

Therefore I can certainly see that putting games on Amazon could see a lot of younger people accessing the games.

Amazon have also been showing a lot of tennis for a year or so now - including some of the grand slams and end of season finals

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »

I think the biggest factor here is that the younger population go for streaming services over satellite ones.

Younger people will make sure they've got internet, Netflix and prime venue they stay worrying about having a satellite dish/box setup.

Therefore I can certainly see that putting games on Amazon could see a lot of younger people accessing the games.

Amazon have also been showing a lot of tennis for a year or so now - including some of the grand slams and end of season finals

Too true . Didn’t realise that the reason I’ve got prime (and just noticed Netflix) on TV was down to my daughter. B.in law just getting his TV set up via his daughters account.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Actually think this is far superior coverage from the Brazilian River

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2020, 02:50:51 PM »

To be honest, I pay for the free next Day delivery, and kinda use the prime video and the rest as an added bonus.

So with rugby on it now, that's just win win

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »

To be honest, I pay for the free next Day delivery, and kinda use the prime video and the rest as an added bonus.

Same.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2020, 04:11:59 PM »

Same.

And again. Since Day 1 of Prime and saved me megabucks.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »

More or less the same, got it more for the whole package, the free next day and the tv/movies options. Rugby is just another bonus, and hopefully a long term one. It was nice being able to pause the scot ita game at 34 minutes and have lunch, then come back, watch the last 6 minutes of the half, and jump back to live just as the 2nd half was kicking off.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2020, 05:32:46 PM »
Quick lunch!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »