Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning All  (Read 1605 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Morning All
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:28:20 AM »
Morning fellow Waspies

A new season is upon us and hopefully we can go one better than the recently finished last one.

This season we are back in the top European cup competition so thats something to look forward too even if crowd participation means viewing by TV only for the early rounds.

Back to todays game, I expect us to continue our run of wins over Brizzle due to our strong line up and their players who are unavailable for selection.

COYW
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:36:21 AM by coddy »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Morning All
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:33:30 AM »
Morning all (Coddy and those later)

So we begin. Another stressfull eight or so months.

Totally still here and dawn has shown us we have blue sky and puffy white clowds overhead. Hope the Ricoh is a good track today. Hoping for a good result but with the first game you never know. COYW.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »
Morning All!

Here's hoping we can start where we left off. I'm glad to see Cruse on the team sheet, he is too good a player to be relegated to 3rd choice. Nice to see Brookes back too.

Looking forward to it!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »
Good morning one and all. Welcome to the new season!

Strange to think that we were at HQ contesting last season's final only 4 weeks ago.

I expect us to continue our rich vein of form this season. My concern is that in the last third of this season, player burnout may become prevalent. Careful S&C management will be paramount. Hopefully, by that stage we will have everyone fit and available for selection. Expect player rotation like we saw post lockdown.

On paper we look strong today but remember what we did at the EAs with a second team.

Reviewing the other matches this weekend, Sale and Chiefs both showed that they will be in the mix. Tigers look rejuvenated, following Murphy's departure and Falcons showed that they will be no pushovers.

As always, a fascinating prospect lies ahead.

Let's enjoy the ride!

Stay safe everyone.

#COYW

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
Morning codds, Neils, VV, Heathen and all Waspies from a grey but equally pleasantly autumnal Guildford. It only feels like a couple of weeks ago that our lads so nearly lifted the premiership title.......oh hang on! It was! The elongated covid impacted season has had one positive impact and that is silly season has been compressed to days not months, and although our shirts are shiny and new our effort, enthusiasm and momentum built last season should remain unaffected as our lads run out at our home to start the 20/21 season.

Make no bones about it, Bristol are a tough old cookie to crack, and their play and team were making good in roads last season. They are missing a couple of key players in Sheedy and Hughes, but still look formidable. Both teams have the capability and ability to win this, but I am hopeful not only that our starting XV get us into a winning position, but that our bench has the edge and will finish the job. It will be a titanic game though with 2 teams who play positive rugby.

However let me use this opportunity to make a bold statement..Today our lads will know but not hear our support for them as we play our first game, but i promise you this, before this season is out we WILL be back at our home, in the stands, clad in black and gold and cheering our boys to the rafters not only as they run out but for the entire game. Covid has been a great chance to reset for many reasons, and one is that we will NEVER again take for granted the ability to gear up, get in our cars/take public transport, pay for overpriced beers and ever so slightly questionable pies and simply enjoy each others company whilst revelling in the atmosphere being together and supporting our teams provide. I cannot wait to join you all once more when this virus is defeated!

Now COME ON YOU WASPS!!!  ;D

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 08:22:49 AM »
Good morning Coddy, Neils and everyone .  It's a bit cool but the sky is nearly cloudless and the mountain isn't too  clear which means  no rain ( usually)  and a bright sunrise.  I'm  feeling moderately optimisdtic about the match  today but when you're talking rugby ........  anything can happen.  At least the Ricoh weather looks very good. Bristle seems  badly hit in their players available  choice but  here's hoping for a good safe match and continuing wins for Wasps. Safe journeys to everyone wherever you are.  Allez Allez Allez Ngood luck Wassps ......................  C.....O.....Y.....w.......................

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
Morning all - tea in hand and dog needing a walk - waiting for the fog to clear in rather murky S Glos.

Quite nervous on this one - Briz are a well organised club with a v decent coach and our wins last season vs team like Sarries, with what was our second team shows exactly how you'd go about beating us!

That said - great to see the first choice front row starting and a backrow that's better than England's (were England not looking to mainly defend....) and I'm hoping to see some good open play when it's on, and the same level of intensity that we showed post lockdown.

COYW...

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
Very good morning to all above and below.
New season, Christmas looming. Does not quite feel right.

I guess we are hoping we are on the verge of winning the whole thing, and are not going to do a Bath and go from nearly there with a super attractive style to also rans  in a year or so. I don't think we will, in fact I think we are on the verge of something special. Let us hope we are the Cavaliers to knock the Exeter Roundheads off their perch this season.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
    + 1

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 09:33:26 AM »
Morning all, best wishes to you and yours.

Looks like a perfect day for rugby that will hopefully help accuracy. The games I have seen so far this weekend had a slightly rusty look, with penalties, kicks out on the full and fumbled balls significantly affecting the results. Odd in a way given the short pre-season.

On paper we can put out a great team and on paper Bristol are missing some key players like Mallins who was a menace to us last season. Young players all over the premiership have more than stood up and gained experience though so it is more dangerous than even to player spot.

Here's to a great game, may the best team win. Come on You Wasps!

Take care,
Notso

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 09:54:18 AM »
Morning all,
Excellent conditions in Coventry today for running rugby. Sunny, fairly mild and no breeze.
My better half and I are going out shortly for a walk in the park before brunch and the match onBT sport.
Looking forward to seeing Ben Vellacott’s repertoire and Lima with a little bit of space. Hoping we can unload the bench early so the young guns get some game time.
Bristol will be a tough nut to crack but I’m expecting a victory.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
Morning all from a gray, damp Hastings. Wow, first game of the season just 4 weeks after the Prem final. Here's to a well oiled win over a weakened Briz.

Allez, allez, allez.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 10:11:56 AM »
Morning all. Glad for the distraction of a match day after I'm looking forward to the distraction of a Wasps match for a few hours. What he 6 Nations and Autumn Nations Cup confirmed is that nothing else in Rugby comes close to Wasps for me.

Quietly confident today. When all is said and done I think our squad isn't too far off the side from the semi final. Obviously Launchbury, Rowlands, Dobby, Fekitoa and Minozzi will be missed, but I am keen to see their more than able replacements take the opportunity to put down a marker.

Bristol still have a strong side out given their injury and test call ups but the depth isn't there in key positions which may be key today. My memory of Piers O'Connor playing full back for us away at Sixways was that he wasn't great under the high ball, so I hope we test him.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
Morning all. Here we go again then. Can't see a reason why we won't beat Bristol especially as they have Piatau and Malins missing. Will be interesting to see how our second row goes as we will be relying on those guys for a few weeks.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »
A late morning all after returning from a walk along the river in bright,mild,and still conditions here in Essex, with one very wet dog in tow!

Sounds like weather should give us the chance of the best game of rugby this weekend (would we expect anything less) and hoping to see the highest score of this round!

However the biggest question is - will Blackett still have that EPCR guests sign next to him  where he stands ,or have they taken it down for the new season?