Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 10320 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »
I note that Lee said something like we had only a few days training and they had no illusions about being at 100%. They hoped for about 90% but they fell far short and work has to be done this week (which is a short week with this Sunday match). I must admit that about sums up our performance. We were average first game last season and lost to Irish - we were average today but won. A good but shaky start.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2020, 05:47:01 PM »
Tom’s try:

https://twitter.com/waspsrugby/status/1330539517758107648?s=21

I thought Josh had a good game in the circumstances.  Chased restarts well and got there to compete and he popped up in odd places looking for work.

I agree with the comments above about BT’s production, it’s starting to get as bad as the BBCs. The only thing we’re spared at the moment is cut always to celebrating fans and BBC Wales are the worst at that when they’re winning, especially agent England. 

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »
I doubt anyone did, BT would have been too busy showing a close up of a player or coach (how many line-outs did they miss showing?) and the commentators were too busy chatting to each other half of the time rather than following what was on the pitch - even substitutions went un-noticed. They realy were (IMO) dammed poor.

On this I like the Amazon coverage whereby they stop chatting to hear the ref make a decision. The number of time we shout shut up at the BT chat during a game is insane.

Yes I agree, but I have to admit laughing at Ben Kay’s “inadvisable” joke about Lol’s scarf ...

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2020, 06:09:13 PM »
Unfortunately for me it is Ugo that grates.

I compare him unfavorably to Topsy Ojo who I think is excellent.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2020, 06:24:25 PM »
Benji and Jacob definitely not on the same wavelength. I do hope Jacob is not getting a bit confused by EJ chuntering away in his ear that he's not playing rugby the right way.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2020, 06:38:18 PM »
I think we'd all agree there's plenty to work on and it is only game one. But there were significant positives. Scrum, ability to turn people over, grinding out the win. Individually some excellent performances from the likes of Gaskell, Young, Willis, Willis, Bassett and Sopoaga with impressive bench impact from Cruse, Barbeary and Douglas.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
Without over praising, Sops pass to start the build up to Tom's try was the first time I've ever seen him draw close to the line like Jacob. Brilliant pass and what we've wanted him to do for ages. Nice one. Makes up for the shocking pass to Kibirige which was wayyyyy to early back when we almost scored. Strange polar opposite pass quality in one half!

hopwood

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »
The last time Bristol beat us at our own ground was 1999...Dean Ryan (their captain) scored Bristol’s only try and Frank Bunce was playing 13 opposite our own Rob Henderson.
I imagine that match-up was quite tasty.

Loftus Road
http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/match/127291.html

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2020, 08:40:19 PM »
It was a good pass out of a tackle by Levi in the approach play to Tom's try.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2020, 09:29:22 PM »
He was quietly impressive for me albeit in a relatively short time. Definitely made yards and is a big old unit. Be interesting to see if he could do the full 80.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2020, 09:31:14 PM »
I doubt anyone did, BT would have been too busy showing a close up of a player or coach (how many line-outs did they miss showing?) and the commentators were too busy chatting to each other half of the time rather than following what was on the pitch - even substitutions went un-noticed. They realy were (IMO) dammed poor.

On this I like the Amazon coverage whereby they stop chatting to hear the ref make a decision. The number of time we shout shut up at the BT chat during a game is insane.

Yes I agree, but I have to admit laughing at Ben Kay’s “inadvisable” joke about Lol’s scarf ...

It was Nick Mullins who uttered that witty remark, which was in a similar vein to the comment by Jerry Flannery on Eddie Jones' scarf yesterday.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »
I thought Paulo Odoguwu did well today. Made a couple of good tackles and showed discipline in defence at the end to avoid conceding a penalty.

Was he playing centre when he came on for JdJ?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:19 PM »
He was quietly impressive for me albeit in a relatively short time. Definitely made yards and is a big old unit. Be interesting to see if he could do the full 80.

He's certainly big but at 25 not that old for a lock.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2020, 09:19:40 AM »
BTW. I'd like to add that I thought the new shirts looked great.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
Full match video now available on Premiership Rugby Site.