Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What a Flanker!  (Read 2098 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
What a Flanker!
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:32:42 PM »
Listened to Haskell's book over the past week or so (For free, thanks to the Libby App subscription that comes with Library membership).  I know he's a marmite character, but I like him. 

I don't agree with everything he says, but by and large, I think he's on the money with a lot of stuff - especially things that as fans, we don't always like to admit or discuss like the lack of loyalty from clubs to players (when we expect it back from players to clubs), the negative impact of the media and their necessity for sensationalisation, opinions on squads that are delivered as facts (fingers pointed at Brian Moore and Sir Clive Woodward particularly) how and why it's difficult it is to change tactics mid-way through a match compared to how easy most fans seem to think it is.

It's a light-hearted listen/read, but for me, a lot of the content seemed quite sombre with a lot of negativity he's had to deal with in his life that he's largely expected to just put up with:

-- The whole Wasps saga; being continually offered less-and-less with each contract and ultimately leaving to go to Stade because he was given a take-it-or-leave-it offer by Steve Hayes, not having image rights paid for 18+ months, being stripped of the Captaincy because of false allegations after the end of season Boat Trip and effectively just being dropped a few years ago with very little sentiment for his Wasps career - His boyhood club.

-- Personally paying for physio, psychology and rehab sessions because clubs either wouldn't have the budget, or take some things like mental health seriously.  He specifically cites the French Clubs as taken better care of medically that if a player wasn't fit they wouldn't get played and if a player was suspected to have an injury they'd get sent for a scan even if precautionary compared to UK clubs who supposedly have an MRI scan budget, which when it's gone it's gone, except for extreme circumstances

-- Being bullied for having other business interests beyond Rugby to give him an income after Rugby

-- A particular England coach going OTT in 'banter' about an ex-girlfriend who very publically cheated on him

-- His England debut soured during the build-up by the press spending most of their time writing about the video-tape incident at School (which gets explained and cleared up in the Book and is nothing like the press made out at the time even if it was a naive and dumb thing to have done)

-- The stream of online and offline abuse from 'rugby fans'

Obviously, this is very much his uninterrupted side of the story, but he speaks about his weaknesses/shortcomings.  Where he's learnt and things he'd have done differently.

Ultimately, he came across as someone who has worked bloody hard for their whole career, tried not to take themselves too seriously, has had to manage the flood of negativity that's come his way and has thought diligently about life after rugby - both in terms of things he'd enjoy doing and things that would give him an income.  In the process he's racked up Club Captaincy, nearly 80 Caps for England played in the Premiership, Top 14, Japan, and the Super 15 (or 14 as it might have been then).  Been on a Lions Tours (but doesn't consider himself a Lion as he didn't play in a Test), won the Grand Slam, Premiership and the Heineken Cup. 

Right at the end he is talking about online abuse from people and two incidents in particular.  One, it transpires, is from a group of school kids and after they don't give up with the abuse he contacts the Headmaster, explains the situation and asks to come into the school to speak to them. 

The Headmaster agrees and Haskell goes with Chloe.  Rather than berating the kids or seeking to intimidate them, he talks to them about the impacts of abuse on people and the longevity of social media - that what happens in 5-10 years when they're applying for University places, or Jobs and people check back through Social Media.  That these things live the public domain for years typically.

The other he admits that if it wasn't for Paul Doran-Jone's wife, probably wouldn't have ended so well - both for the abuser, or Haskells career.  Everyone has their limits, I guess.

As a Wasps fan, it's definitely worth a listen or a read.

ps There's also the story about a house-party in NZ that goes wrong with our very own Lima Sopoaga ending up KO'd
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:37:11 PM by InBetweenWasp »

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What a Flanker!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
just read the book (birthday present) thoroughly enjoyed it, agree with every thing you say except he does seem  to be a E J apologist, not surprisingly as he kept him in the England team, other than that very insightful read,

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 02:28:29 PM »
I too enjoyed the book, quite anecdotal.
I am neutral on Haskell. Since leaving the game he has become very negative on rugby generally whilst lapping up what it provided whilst in the game. He's a persona of a persona, he chose to present himself as a caricature and absolutely craves attention, with that comes good and bad and if you don't like it, don't put yourself in the shop window. Other rugby players don't seem to suffer the same issue's. He'd sell his grandmother for a couple of quid and a few more Instagram followers.
He epitomises hypocrisy, that said, it's an interesting and amusing, more so than the man in person.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:26:35 PM »
Thanks for the reviews, you might find yourselves quoted on back of paperback when it comes out.

Sounds interesting ,might go and get a copy.

As to to the man himself , having only met him briefly can’t really judge. My daughter met him at one of the BT shows and said that he was just the same off screen and quite happy to talk to anybody about anything.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 05:50:48 PM »
I am neutral on Haskell. Since leaving the game he has become very negative on rugby generally whilst lapping up what it provided whilst in the game. He's a persona of a persona, he chose to present himself as a caricature and absolutely craves attention, with that comes good and bad and if you don't like it, don't put yourself in the shop window. Other rugby players don't seem to suffer the same issue's. He'd sell his grandmother for a couple of quid and a few more Instagram followers.
He epitomises hypocrisy, that said, it's an interesting and amusing, more so than the man in person.

Blimey, if thats a neutral perspective I'd hate to think how you describe someone you didn't like!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 08:47:57 PM »
Id say it was neutral, I haven't dug him out, just pointing out the obvious based on the facts he presents.
If i said he was a top heavy, loud mouthed twat, then that wouldn't be neutral..

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 10:27:41 PM »
Top heavy? Or would you rather say 'big head'?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hopwood

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 05:14:43 PM »

There's some truth in all of that.
I don't want to spend time with him.
But he's doing the best job he can.
He's held the belief that the more media exposure, the better. The more he talks, the better.
I would probably say that belief needs to be refined a bit.
But he's probably kept talking (and talking) to hide his own insecurities. It becomes a survival mechanism in a cut-throat environment of banter in a rugby changing room. However, all banter can be both positive and negative....as someone's feelings and insecurities are always on the sharp end of it.

But I'm sure he has great intentions and is a good guy at heart.
He probably just needed to listen a bit more and talk a bit less.

Anyway, he's still been an amazing servant for Wasps and I have many fond memories of his rugby on the pitch.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »
Haskell is making an appearance at the Hay Winter Festival talking about mental illnesses in rugby & other sports. He seems to have been affected by not realising that Myall had major mental health challenges when they played together.

PS For those who know me, this is my first posting since I had a heart attack at the beginning of August. Not to be recommended.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »
Haskell is making an appearance at the Hay Winter Festival talking about mental illnesses in rugby & other sports. He seems to have been affected by not realising that Myall had major mental health challenges when they played together.

PS For those who know me, this is my first posting since I had a heart attack at the beginning of August. Not to be recommended.

Glad you are still with us chap and welcome back.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 07:26:10 PM »

Join the club. There are quite a few of us second lifers here.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 10:25:58 PM »

What he said!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »

What he said!

+1