Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brentford Stadium  (Read 2347 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Brentford Stadium
« on: November 29, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
Really like the mixed colour seats. It looks as if there is a crowd.

Good win by Irish.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brentford Stadium
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 06:10:42 PM »
Yes, nice stadium. Some of the Tigers play/ decision making bordered on embarrassing.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
Enjoyed the game, stadium looks good

Another poor reffing performance at tackle/breakdown - led to slow, slow ball and too often, resulting in a slow, slow game. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 06:31:57 PM »

Another poor reffing performance at tackle/breakdown - led to slow, slow ball and too often, resulting in a slow, slow game.
Mike909, it's just the norm now. I just don't understand it. It's not like it's not obvious. Who gives them feedback? If fans can see it why can't officials?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 07:14:12 PM »

Mike909, it's just the norm now. I just don't understand it. It's not like it's not obvious. Who gives them feedback? If fans can see it why can't officials?

If there were fans in the stadium they'd get instant feedback.

I've noted before that things like forward passes were picked up as much by the crowd as officials. All the fans in line shouting "forward" makes the ref or touch judge as least think about it. The same would happen happen at the breakdown, fans would get agitated and the ref would know he's missing something. (Whether they do something is a different matter)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 08:20:48 PM »

I've noted before that things like forward passes were picked up as much by the crowd as officials. All the fans in line shouting "forward" makes the ref or touch judge as least think about it. The same would happen happen at the breakdown, fans would get agitated and the ref would know he's missing something. (Whether they do something is a different matter)

Or the groan/ sharp in take of breath ,by the home crowd ,when a knock on or bad tackle is seen from their team

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »

Or the groan/ sharp in take of breath ,by the home crowd ,when a knock on or bad tackle is seen from their team

Rule 1 of life: You can't have it all  :D

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 08:38:07 PM »
I struggled to make out if the pitch was pure turf and grass or a hybrid.. if its the former then the groundsmen will have a thankless task trying to repair the pitch after each rugby rugby game for the footballers

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »

The tri nations breakdown is the other way, a different ball game. I think it is coaches, refs and players that give us the mess, not just the refs.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »

I don't know mate - but having watched a number of SH game this week - it's like a different sport when reffed to the Laws. The players play like the Laws exist too. Either you are first legal person to the breakdown and on your feet, get hands on ball or you don't try as it's a penalty if you are none of those things. The ball comes out really quickly and the players need speed and stamina to cope.

It's ludicrous that an ex amateur player - who's only taken a recent interest in the Laws can see the error of the ref's ways....and no one on commentary teams even make reference......

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »

The tri nations breakdown is the other way, a different ball game. I think it is coaches, refs and players that give us the mess, not just the refs.

Apply the sanctions from minute one of each game and the coaches and players would catch up very quickly?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 09:34:11 PM »

Apply the sanctions from minute one of each game and the coaches and players would catch up very quickly?
Ahh.. consistency. If only.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
It's ludicrous that an ex amateur player - who's only taken a recent interest in the Laws can see the error of the ref's ways....and no one on commentary teams even make reference......

The problem with a lot of rugby commentators is that they still want to be mates with the current players and refs. I understand that, as a sport community rugby is second to none, and that includes refs, and nobody wants to leave it*, but their job is to explain what is going. If requires that they criticise the ref or players bluntly so be it.

Perhaps we need a few more Geoffrey Boycotts commentating and upsetting a few apple carts? But then again ....it is nice to have that community with refs taking time out to appear on TV and explain stuff.**

*I say that as someone who's been in the Army and understands that mentality.

** On reflection, perhaps I prefer that they're mates and rugby doesn't go the way of the round ball game with constant blaming of refs and refs losing their authority

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »

I think they would, definitely, agree 100 pc.

I also think sod's law says up here you would see even more aerial action rather than the tri nations style as teams try to avoid the breakdown in their half of the pitch at all costs. I don't think we would get the game we want, except maybe at clubs like us at Wasps who are pretty adept historically at winning turnovers and running them back.

I must be careful too, the tri nations of this year is not perfect, they get lovely quick ball and a clean breakdown but other aspects are not so attractive.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »

The problem with a lot of rugby commentators is that they still want to be mates with the current players and refs. I understand that, as a sport community rugby is second to none, and that includes refs, and nobody wants to leave it*, but their job is to explain what is going. If requires that they criticise the ref or players bluntly so be it.

Perhaps we need a few more Geoffrey Boycotts commentating and upsetting a few apple carts? But then again ....it is nice to have that community with refs taking time out to appear on TV and explain stuff.**

*I say that as someone who's been in the Army and understands that mentality.

** On reflection, perhaps I prefer that they're mates and rugby doesn't go the way of the round ball game with constant blaming of refs and refs losing their authority
Just been watching bt rugby tonight on catch-up.

Apparently Austin and Ben actually are included in a referees meeting on a Wednesday night to discuss any issues/ observations that have come up.

Similarly ,Westwaleswasp, Nigel 100 Owen also said that referees are looking at the increase in the kick tennis and that they have been told to concentrate on ensuring that any chasers are behind the ball.

Maybe the only way to reduce it ,or give receiver a chance to run it out, is for refs to stop advising players they are potentially offside until they tackle ,award penalties . It would soon stop.