• View Profile
Alfie
« on: November 30, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 02:09:21 PM »
Impressive, especially so in a losing cause.

I know stats don't always tell the full story, but hard to argue when it's as emphatic as that.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 02:14:39 PM »
Yes, he carried phenomenally and for the immediate future we'll probably need him at six. Aside from the carrying though I thought our breakdown work and defence suffered as a result of not having a recognised six in there. Of course that's not Barbeary's fault - he's doing a sterling job of filling in. But I've seen a bit of speculation that suggests we develop him as a back rower. I'm not sure those instincts are there with him so I think he should be seen as a hooker filling in for now.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 02:16:34 PM »
That's off 19 carries (!!), 5 defenders beaten, 2 clean breaks. Also 9 tackles, 1 missed.

On the work-on side of the ledger - 3 turn-overs conceded.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »
I love the way he fights for everything, but worry that on occasion that is what lead to the turnovers, or not working with the supporting runners on a break.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 08:47:39 PM »
Gonna have to do without him the weekend.
He has been called up by England.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 09:06:30 PM »
Good on him. (Not ideal for Wasps mind)

Looks like he might be in as a 3rd hooker as Dunn hasn't been recalled. Only George and C-D as recognised hookers. England's back row cupboard is quite well stocked.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Yes, he carried phenomenally and for the immediate future we'll probably need him at six. Aside from the carrying though I thought our breakdown work and defence suffered as a result of not having a recognised six in there. Of course that's not Barbeary's fault - he's doing a sterling job of filling in. But I've seen a bit of speculation that suggests we develop him as a back rower. I'm not sure those instincts are there with him so I think he should be seen as a hooker filling in for now.

I agree, I think he could be a top class back row player maybe even a regular international but he is potentially the best hooker in the world. I know where he will be most valuable moving forward and that is as a 2. I can see the wisdom in playing him in the back row for now but I would hope to see him at hooker by the end of the season.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 09:57:45 PM »
I don't know how good he can be at hooker because I have never seen him play professional rugby in that position. I have seen him play U18 and U20 Amateur rugby.

Bloody leave him alone EJ.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:00:02 PM »
What a BS callup, he's got a handful of prem minutes in the back row...Great for him but seriously?
Who's left in the BR now, Ben Morris and Youngs?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 10:46:15 PM »
What a BS callup, he's got a handful of prem minutes in the back row...Great for him but seriously?
Who's left in the BR now, Ben Morris and Youngs?
Completely agree - it's a bonkers pick. You either have to accept the lunacy of him being picked as a back rower amongst one of the best back rows around or the lunacy of him being picked as a hooker having not played there in the Prem. Of course he has the potential to be a regular in the future but this smacks of the ridiculous "apprentice" lark. Let him have time in the Prem rather than ping ponging between training camps.

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »
Congratulations to Alfie, he's obviously got the potential to be one hell of a player in the loose.  EJiot can hardly have picked him as cover for hooker - I think Dobby has probably thrown in to more Premiership lineouts! 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:03:32 PM by WaspsUpNorth »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »
Outstanding prospect but I feel it’s a little too soon even to be an apprentice England player.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 11:32:02 PM »
Perhaps Mental Eddie has called him up as a centre :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 06:27:03 AM »
Congratulations to Alfie hopefully the first of many call ups for the lad.

Leaves us in a bit of a pickle for the Falcons though. I can see Gaskell going to the back row and the new 2nd row from Pirates going straight in the starting 15 although he plays a lot at six so could replace Alfie.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:29:52 AM by coddy »