Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alfie  (Read 5989 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
Let's take Smith as a case in point. He's added as an apprentice for all the good reasons you state. He's still young so why is he no longer part of things? Is there an age factor to being an apprentice? What has it done (or more relevantly could have done) for his confidence? What is he thinking now that others are ahead of him - or are they really ahead of him or just the next apprentice? For the clubs who pay wages is it really acceptable to be denied that player when he is, in Jones own words "nowhere near playing test rugby". What's the problem with just picking who you want to be in the test match squad?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »
Let's take Smith as a case in point. He's added as an apprentice for all the good reasons you state. He's still young so why is he no longer part of things? Is there an age factor to being an apprentice? What has it done (or more relevantly could have done) for his confidence? What is he thinking now that others are ahead of him - or are they really ahead of him or just the next apprentice? For the clubs who pay wages is it really acceptable to be denied that player when he is, in Jones own words "nowhere near playing test rugby". What's the problem with just picking who you want to be in the test match squad?
Too much sense written Shugs. Some believe that just being in earshot of an International player, makes you a better player. It matters not that you beasted your opposition player the week before.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 05:18:11 PM »
Too much sense written Shugs. Some believe that just being in earshot of an International player, makes you a better player. It matters not that you beasted your opposition player the week before.

Yep
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »
Being in the group for training etc is a very long way from playing IMO.

And bringing a new guy on for 6 minutes repeatedly is no way to evaluate their ability to perform at International level.

Another 50 caps for Youngs and I will be supporting France.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »
Big opportunity for Eddie to shake the bag up for this game.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 07:10:52 PM »

And bringing a new guy on for 6 minutes repeatedly is no way to evaluate their ability to perform at International level.

I don't measure it that way. Instead of 50 caps I prefer to say "Another 3000 box kicks for Youngs".

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »

I don't measure it that way. Instead of 50 caps I prefer to say "Another 3000 box kicks for Youngs".

Brilliant

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »

Lol

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2020, 09:16:04 PM »
For those who listened to the S4c commentary, it was noticable that the Welsh commentators seem to think Youngs' first name was "Araf".This is one of the few Welsh words I know, because it is in bus lanes printed on the floor. This is because it is Welsh for "slow", and whenevever the word araf came up, it was inevitiably followed by "Youngs"...... 

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 09:54:27 PM »

When I see Eddie do stuff like this, I think back to when he first took the job and he said that one of his goals set by the RFU was to identify the next set of England players rather than just focusing on his team.

I felt that was why we had academy players in the England setup originally - with a view to identify those that would step up after the 2019 world cup.

Now that he's had his contract extended, is that still one of the goals for him to achieve?
If so, I can see why he wants to see how these young players react etc.
There's never a good time for clubs to lose players to an England training camp - they're always around international Windows so clubs are already losing players.

Its either Eddie wanting to be able to say that he looks at youth and succession plans etc.
Or it may be a goal set for him by his employers

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2020, 06:25:13 AM »
So you're suggesting he's just box ticking? I tend to agree, the continued ommission of Marcus Smith is a case in point.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
Surely this must fry players brains, esp. if they are young?  Raise up hopes, and then drop that player doers,'t sound good to me - but then  I know nothing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 07:45:37 AM »
So you're suggesting he's just box ticking? I tend to agree, the continued ommission of Marcus Smith is a case in point.

It very much looks that way.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »
Big opportunity for Eddie to shake the bag up for this game.

Just as he did against Italy and Georgia???

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2020, 02:22:21 PM »
For those who listened to the S4c commentary, it was noticable that the Welsh commentators seem to think Youngs' first name was "Araf".This is one of the few Welsh words I know, because it is in bus lanes printed on the floor. This is because it is Welsh for "slow", and whenevever the word araf came up, it was inevitiably followed by "Youngs"......

I did due to bad broadband at home. Surprised to learn that the word "flat" in Welsh translates to "miles forwards" in English.