Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Front row replacements  (Read 1171 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Front row replacements
« on: December 02, 2020, 10:01:20 PM »

Exeter nearly always change their entire front row together.

I don't think I've really seen other clubs do it regularly.

I used to play at prop a bit and there was always a little bit of readjusting when a new hooker, and sometimes prop came on.

Is there an argument that changing the entire front row minimises the amount of adjustments required by a team and they can get into the game quicker?

If there was really an obvious advantage in doing it, you'd think all clubs would be doing it.

When I look at our bench options, I don't really see us getting hugely weaker by changing the entire front row

Does anyone see a clear advantage one way or the other?

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Front row replacements
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
It depends how equivalent the players are.

If you have a fantastic 2nd string tighthead, but the other two are average, you may use the players in a more strategic way.

Exeter have 2+ very high quality front rows, and 2 pretty good backups. No other club has anything like this strength in depth.

I wonder if doing the same for the second row instead may be more productive. Their work in the tight, lineouts, defensive mauls, etc are such that they have to be extreme athletes to last 80+ minutes.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:33:10 AM »
There's not enough subs allowed to change both Locks unless teams have a 6-2 split and even then 2 of the 3 back row will have to play 80 mins.

Don't most teams use the monitoring device in the backs of players shirts to help them decide on substitutions? Obviously other deciding factors are used also by the coaches.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:15:05 AM »
Don't most teams use the monitoring device in the backs of players shirts to help them decide on substitutions? Obviously other deciding factors are used also by the coaches.

Indeed. You see the technical analysts next to Lee, advising him with player performance data throughout the match.