Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Steve Thompson - Dementia  (Read 4433 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Thompson - Dementia
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Deep sympathy for the players involved.

I'm not sure this will lead to wholesale changes within the sport though. There have been calls to ban boxing for years, due to head injuries and damage to the nervous system, Ali being the obvious high profile example, as well as a few deaths along the way.

Headguards were made mandatory for amateurs in the mid 90's, I can't remember the exact year, but were abandoned in the middle of the last decade, as it is disputable as to whether or not they offer greater protection.

I only boxed competitively once with a head guard and, I have to say, I hated it. The affect on peripheral vision made me feel very vulnerable to hooks, and if the guard slipped round at all, vision was obviously further obscured. I'm pleased they didn't come in until the end of my time competing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »
Just watched a very moving interview with Alix Popham and his wife on BBC Breakfast ( just after 8.30 if anyone wishes to watch it on playback). To be in early 40s and be in his condition is so so sad.
Interesting that only three names have been released.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 10:45:29 AM »
Talked to a neurologist friend about this a few months ago, and he suggested some things to lessen head injuries, as he was seeing more at lower levels.
His suggestions:
Only allowing players to join a ruck after stopping before, and having at least one foot on the ground when, they engage the breakdown
Removing the number of penalties that can be won at a scrum. Only for obvious foul play - all other offences to be free kicks if the ball cannot be retreived from the scrum.
Changing the scrum engagement, so that front rows fully engage without the "hit", then second row join, but no movement until ball put-in and reverting to propper hooking.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »
Talked to a neurologist friend about this a few months ago, and he suggested some things to lessen head injuries, as he was seeing more at lower levels.
His suggestions:
Only allowing players to join a ruck after stopping before, and having at least one foot on the ground when, they engage the breakdown
Removing the number of penalties that can be won at a scrum. Only for obvious foul play - all other offences to be free kicks if the ball cannot be retreived from the scrum.
Changing the scrum engagement, so that front rows fully engage without the "hit", then second row join, but no movement until ball put-in and reverting to propper hooking.

Sounds eminently sensible.

I just wonder how far they will get with the Rugby Authorities accepting their "15 Commandments".

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
Always think of the amount of times George North seemed to get knocked out a few years back. I suppose  you could argue that to some extent players in the past insisted on carrying on , a matter of stubborn pride. I’m sure Steve was probably asked in some games if he was ok, and like boxers ,would he have said no. If it had been the semi final ,say, that he didn’t remember, would he he have risked not playing in the final by mentioning it?

The 15 commandments seem sensible and build on current protocols.

I bet the round ball game  will be looking on with interest ,considering the issue around heading .

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »
Always think of the amount of times George North seemed to get knocked out a few years back. I suppose  you could argue that to some extent players in the past insisted on carrying on , a matter of stubborn pride. I’m sure Steve was probably asked in some games if he was ok, and like boxers ,would he have said no. If it had been the semi final ,say, that he didn’t remember, would he he have risked not playing in the final by mentioning it?

The 15 commandments seem sensible and build on current protocols.

I bet the round ball game  will be looking on with interest ,considering the issue around heading .

The interview this morning suggested that the rugby players involved are talking to the impacted football players about a combined charity/pressure group.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 04:18:05 PM »
One of the commandments was abolition of zero hour contracts. Hadn’t really considered professional players being on these, after all you would expect them to attend training, even if not in match day squads.

If it’s a way of clubs not having to pay if a player is out injured , either in training or on pitch ,definitely needs looking at..

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
Rob Baxter has his say.

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1058290802?-11081:2392

Says the guy whose players fly in like exocets.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 10:47:44 PM »
"Says the guy whose players fly in like exocets."

I completely agree with you Neils.

However much I admire the Exeter success, their play at the breakdown is illegal, non-sensical and outright fecking dangerous.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 10:50:11 PM »
He played one game. I remember it (luckily for me) as I was desparate to see him play as he was so good.

Thanks i thought he did and we would have been there if it was AP.

Worcester away 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9623332.stm

It was actually a vital win in the context of the season where we just stayed up and he was instrumental in the win helping us dominate the Worcester scrum. I always felt his was one of the shortest but most vital Wasps’ careers.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
Not only at pro level?

My main concern - reading the accounts from the various players - is that it wasn't the big impacts that did the big damage necessarily (obviously they could...) but the ongoing knocks. And that "normal" MRI scans don't spot the main problems associated with repetitive damage.

When I played, I was well known for being able to clash heads and carry on as if nothing happened - with the other player often laid out....I've been knocked out cold, twice and for other reasons ended up having a brain MRI...which showed some "small lesions"  which were not unexpected from a contact sport player...

Now, given my increasingly poor memory and forgetfulness....at only 58, it's a little worrying as to how widely such risks were spread from the activities that might have had an effect. I played rugby, I did winter sports and I did a lot of off road mountain biking and often fell off....It may well be that it's just me being lazy, being semi retired.....but I noticeably struggle with directions and names and am a bit more prone to mood swings - something I wasn't at home to 15 years ago.

Certainly it would be good to have an idea if this is material or not!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
Seems to me, Rugby League here we come.