Always a Wasp

Author Topic: RWC2023 Group Draw  (Read 2007 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
RWC2023 Group Draw
« on: December 14, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »
I think this probably quietly slipped in under the radar but earlier this morning the draw for the RWC2023 Groups was done.  England have ended up with a pretty easy group -

Group A
New Zealand
France
Italy
Americas 1
Africa 1

Group B
South Africa
Ireland
Scotland
Asia/Pacific 1
Europe 2

Group C
Wales
Australia
Fiji
Europe 1
Qualifier Winner

Group D
England
Japan
Argentina
Oceania 1
Americas 2

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: RWC2023 Group Draw
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
Wow - what fun!
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 01:39:17 PM »
I think, bar a few changes, these groups aren't much different from the last couple of WCs.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »
Wow - what fun!

Not sure if you're referring to England having a relatively easy group, or that you're down on the tournament as a whole?

Some good group games in there for sure - France vs New Zealand should be a belter.  Wales have the real banana-skin group. 

edit: Don't think Pool A does play Pool D in the QFs
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:41:08 PM by InBetweenWasp »

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »
I think, bar a few changes, these groups aren't much different from the last couple of WCs.

Yeah, groups do tend to be a bit samey.

Wales, Australia and Fiji will be in the same group for 3 consecutive World Cups.  Wales and Fiji in the same pool since 2007.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
Seedings based on January 2020 rankings due to lack of action by some teams since.  Consequently, Wales, currently ranked 9th, end up in pot 1 rather than pot 3.  Ridiculous!

A long standing bug bear of mine is the unnecessarily early draw for the RWC based on rankings that will potentially be very different by the time the tournament actually comes round.  Apparently World Rugby have stated that future draws will take place within a year of the start of the tournament itself.  But such a radical change would need 4 years to implement so we're stuck with the current situation only made worse by COVID.  Quite why this draw could not have been delayed until nearer the time only World Rugby knows.  Not a change that should require such a huge amount of time to implement I'd have thought.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
Not a change that should require such a huge amount of time to implement I'd have thought.

With airlines and hotels sooo busy right now, with very few seats and rooms free, the earlier the better? hehe

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 02:37:59 PM »
Add in the silliness of seeing "Oceania 1" and "Europe 2" etc and the early draw for RWCs is even more ridiculous.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
Agree with all of the above , draw needs to be nearer time to reflect true rankings and to know who the other opponents are . Be good to know the venues for pool matches and knockout stages at same time .

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
This happens so far from the tournament that it is forgotten well before the build up starts.  If you look at football, the draw is almost part of the tournament and is almost the starting point of the build up and hype.  Groups are drawn, training bases announced, travel plans made and publicised and that's before the warm up games take place.  I guess the main difference is that you don't get the same groups each time, so there is naturally more excitement to be had with the draw, but I do think a draw closer to the event would generate a bit more interest. 

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »
Wow - what fun!

Not sure if you're referring to England having a relatively easy group, or that you're down on the tournament as a whole?

Some good group games in there for sure - France vs New Zealand should be a belter.  Wales have the real banana-skin group. 

edit: Don't think Pool A does play Pool D in the QFs

I actually think of the tier 1 teams, Wales have the easiest group. I'd consider Argentina and Japan to be tougher opposition than Fiji and Australia on current form.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 12:30:36 PM »
Australians are quite happy with their group too. Think they will be able to take Welsh.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »
I actually think of the tier 1 teams, Wales have the easiest group. I'd consider Argentina and Japan to be tougher opposition than Fiji and Australia on current form.

I did think that at first, then I remembered how bad Wales are at the moment :)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »
Australians are quite happy with their group too. Think they will be able to take Welsh.

To be fair, Australians tend to be rather confident.