Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Academics want government to ban tackling in school rugby  (Read 1050 times)

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Academics want government to ban tackling in school rugby
« on: December 18, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9065397/Ministers-urged-ban-tackling-schools-rugby.html

Isn't that equivalent to asking for kids to be banned from doing anything children do that could be regarded as risky?

When I was at primary school we played British Bulldog and other similar rough and tumble games. It's what kids do.

I can understand making contact rugby at school optional, for those that really don't want to do it, but for mini and junior rugby at clubs the kids want to do it and get proper coaching. If that's denied the are quite likely to have impromptu games they organise themselves, which is a greater risk.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Academics want government to ban tackling in school rugby
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:33:00 PM »
When I was eight and started playing rugby at school the first thing I was taught was always protect your head when you were on the ground. The second thing I was taught was how to tackle properly. This was of course 65 years ago - things were different then ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
I used to follow an American academic on Twitter and she was adamant that boys need "rough and tumble" play when they're young and that feeds in to contact sports.

If we don't provide that stimulus for them in a structured manner they'll go and find it for themselves and who knows what will happen.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 04:37:03 PM »
When I was eight and started playing rugby at school the first thing I was taught was always protect your head when you were on the ground. The second thing I was taught was how to tackle properly. This was of course 65 years ago - things were different then ;)

Totally. Tackle below the knees and he can't go anywhere we were told.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »

When I was at primary school we played British Bulldog and other similar rough and tumble games. It's what kids do.

Murderball in the gym was popular when raining at breaks

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 11:06:11 PM »
Is this the same bunch of Ivory Tower overpaid, under employed work 30 weeks a year never played rugby or probably any sport at all tossers that have mouthed off in the past?

I am so angry that I was tempted to be abusive about them - it is what they deserve!

They should concentrate on horse riding sports where there is real danger.

I am very much in favour of making all sports as safe as they can be but IMHO the first thing to do with youngsters in rugby is to ingrain a proper tackling technique, at least for a start.  I suspect much of the danger in rugby is the size and strength of the players these days.