Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Le freak that’s chic , Bobby B ratings  (Read 5822 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Le freak that’s chic , Bobby B ratings
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
I find the negativity on here about Lima a bit sad really.

Has he been as good as expected? no (but then we had been spoiled by having 2 outstanding & exciting 10s before him)
Is he worth the money he's costing? Debatable
Does he make mistakes? yes

I don't argue with any of that, but he's making mistakes because he's trying things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. He clearly wants to play and seems to give his all when on the pitch. I can only remember 2 glaring mistakes from Friday night, the kick out on the full & the pass to no one ( I might have missed something else)

He's in the squad, he's getting picked, he's trying his best. I think he deserves a bit of a break on here IMO

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »

Has he been as good as expected? no (but then we had been spoiled by having 2 outstanding & exciting 10s before him)

I don't argue with any of that, but he's making mistakes because he's trying things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. He clearly wants to play and seems to give his all when on the pitch. I can only remember 2 glaring mistakes from Friday night, the kick out on the full & the pass to no one ( I might have missed something else)

He's in the squad, he's getting picked, he's trying his best. I think he deserves a bit of a break on here IMO

Now this I fully agree with.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »
As you say in your points he hasn’t lived up to expectations. I personally don’t want to criticise him , but equally he wouldn’t be moved about in position or be replaced if he was living up to coaches expectations either.

But don’t worry, another off week by Gopperth and we won’t even notice him.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
As you say in your points he hasn’t lived up to expectations. I personally don’t want to criticise him , but equally he wouldn’t be moved about in position or be replaced if he was living up to coaches expectations either.

But don’t worry, another off week by Gopperth and we won’t even notice him.

Lets face it he was originally moved in position due to injuries and unavailability.

Whilst I think this will be his last season with us I do not think he has had a consistent team around him. By his own admission the rugby is completely different from where he came from. The experiment has failed which I think is a shame when you consider our other NZ No 10.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 11:22:56 AM »

Now this I fully agree with.

+ 1

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »

While I agree with the above, Minozzi is also in the squad, trying his best and has been in excellent form and full of confidence.  Deserves the 15 shirt ahead of Lima IMO.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
I don't disagree DGP, I was commenting more on peoples attitude to him on here.

Coaching selections tend to be about more than just whos the best player available in any position. I don't know, but having a very young & inexperienced 9 & 10, plus an out of form 12, the coaching team may have thought having Lima's experience & flexibility on the pitch more important than Minozzis skills? 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »
And Lima in Foy's team of the weekend.

https://mol.im/a/9073391

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 11:44:33 AM »
Along with a few other Waspies!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »

My apologies if I came across too negative in my earlier comments, and what you said has made me appreciate his circumstances more. As many have said this could be his last season with us, and I hope he at the very least can go out with a bang. I have always hoped he would be one of the best attacking backs in Europe and we might see that this season. Genuinely want him to succeed.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
While he's in the Wasps squad I back him. But I don't think it's negative to be commenting that his displays are error strewn. There's always the odd good bit thrown in as well which, if anything, amplifies the frustration. But for every cross field that hits its target there seems to be a Falcons intercept. I couldn't care less what he earns - that's not relevant. I don't think it's that the rugby is so different here as much as at 10 his game just doesn't suit us. Quite happy to go through the season with him and MM vying for FB but I'd be amazed if we re-sign him.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
Lima is a great guy - a team player and well liked by the squad. When he was signed, it was reportedly for silly £££. If he had delivered performances that justified it, I don’t think that we would be having this discussion. He had played in NZ teams where he sat in the pocket and distributed accordingly. Playing flat on the gain line is just not his style.

I think that Dai panicked given the DC indecision and as a consequence had not really done the necessary ‘due diligence’.

Given where we are with 10’s going forward, my money is on him leaving at the end of this season (or staying with a serious reduction in salary).

He has good vision from FB but is a tad error prone (mostly to do with his ambition to get the ball wide).

Whether this potentially will impact on his best mate remaining, is another matter. Malakai is ‘must keep’ IMHO.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »

Don't "most" fly halves play deep and direct play?

Jimmy always has done for us, Goode used to.
I don't think Myler and Wilkinson were particularly known for playing flat on the gain line either

The difference is that we had an attack which had been built around a fly half who stood flat and played delayed passes to runners running into space.
When Lima joined we tried to get him to play the same way and that really isn't his game and probably set us and him back a season.

My gut feel is that an experienced top level international should be able to adapt to different styles, but crucially you're then asking someone to play in a way that isn't natural and that will always lead to errors

Personally, the money doesn't bother me at all. I don't expect him to perform 4 times better than Umaga if he's on 4 times the money.
What I want is someone who is of sufficient quality to grace our team, who gives their all even when it's not working, who loves the club, and (I'm sure some will disagree with me here) someone who is a genuinely nice guy.
I feel that Lima ticks most/all of those boxes.

It would just be nice for us and for him if he had a slightly larger highlight reel in Wasps colours

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, why do people not find a player's salary relevant to how well they play and why they should/shouldn't stay?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I've been of the mentality that players like Fekitoa get paid a lot but deserve it because they play exceptional rugby. And because we've a salary cap and because we need to keep essential players (E.g. Rowlands) or sign good players we need to distribute that cash intelligently to maintain the best squad we can.

Again maybe I'm just naive.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
Lima appears to be well liked within the club which (IMO) is important. I doubt if fiver was.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!