Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Half An Hour to Go - Match Thread  (Read 15306 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Half An Hour to Go - Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
Talking of Dobbie, I haven't seen any mention of his tackle of Simmonds just before Capstick's try.

Textbook stuff, or at least the textbook I was taught from in the early '70s. Got low and drove his shoulder up in to Simmonds' midriff (we were taught solar plexus), head on the outside and dumped Simmonds on his back. That was a try saving tackle, unfortunately they went on to score.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »
Robson really used his experience and nouse to really put pressure on Chiefs at the breakdown.

Felt he kept them guessing with play in general, but crucially countered their common tactic of exocet-ing into and disrupting the breakdown causing them to keep getting pinged.

Speaking of 9's something Healey said in the build-up made me think of Youngs.  We all seem perplexed as to what it is some of the pundits, players and coaches see of Youngs' general game.  He has those occasional exceptional games, but too often feels pedestrian in getting the ball away and his decision making.

Healey spoke about 9's mixing it up and instead of simply firing the ball away from the base of the rucks to pick it up and take a step-or-two (aka the Youngs crab) to help keep the defence honest.  Suggested it causes confusion, opening up gaps.  Whereas just getting the ball away even quickly allows the first 3 defenders outside of the ruck to blitz heavily, eating up space and pressuring the 10.

Hadn't thought of it before like that (although in Youngs' case it feels like he often takes the step, the defence blitz then he passes to the 10 who is under pressure).

I thought exactly this when he ran the demo. I think the difference is creating space for Farrell or one out runners all game becomes one dimensional again whereas Robson creating space for Umaga to pull the strings has some impact

I think that’s it . Just watching tiggers at moment . Watching Youngs you can predict whats going to happen . Whereas with Dobby you have those moments he does something to put a question on the other side.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2021, 03:49:30 PM »
+1

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2021, 04:29:24 PM »
I hope Youngs pulls his finger out as I put my Wasps winnings on Tigers at 6/4

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2021, 04:52:02 PM »

Luckily for you, Youngs has gone off. Jack van Poortvliet is very fast and Tigers have come alive.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

Luckily for you, Youngs has gone off. Jack van Poortvliet is very fast and Tigers have come alive.

Congrats, you win that bet then.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2021, 05:08:53 PM »
Go and collect. Bath couldn't catch anything Ford put up. What a funny side Bath are. Seriously inconsistent - always look good on paper - not so much on grass. Cameo performance from Stooke. Didn't have time to do much really.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2021, 05:24:43 PM »
If we can play with the same intensity as we showed yesterday, I am confident that we can go down to the Wreck on Friday and come away with the W.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2021, 05:36:49 PM »
One thing that Wasps seem  to have exorcised recently is the 'Walkabout for 20 minutes Thing'  that they used to do.  Also, they seem to have developed a clinical. killer attitude which they have not has for many many years, and thank heaven for that.  Long may it continue'

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2021, 06:22:22 PM »
I wonder if that comes from having been in a final and seeing what it takes?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2021, 06:31:14 PM »
Don't know, but they were doing the 20-minute-walkabout yonks ago at AP.  Drove everyone bonkers.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2021, 06:32:57 PM »
I think it because they are fitter - look at JTA playing the full 80+ last week with a smile on his face.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:52:31 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2021, 06:37:00 PM »
Great, isn't it!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2021, 08:25:40 PM »
Fitness definitely key, both physical and mental, in getting 80 minutes of high intensity. 

Don't think the final is that significant because our intensity wasn't there for the first 3 games of this season, which were a bit like pre-season after a bit of a break.

However Lee mentioned knowing what a champion team looks like and his adaptability will combine our swashbuckling approach with more pragmatism so we get the best of both worlds.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »
As others have said, intensity is the key & its been absent a bit in the first few games of the season.

However that has to go hand in hand with a squad big enough to rest players when required. That level of intensity cannot be managed week after week by the same 15 or 23 players. I think Wasps are in a good place if they can play like they did on Saturday without 4 of the more intense players (in Jack W, Alfie, Brad & Malakai) all missing.