Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Weak Chiefs team  (Read 2391 times)

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Weak Chiefs team
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
What about the weakened Wasps team?  No Shields, Barbeary, Fekitoa, kibirige etc.  Maybe it is just that we have a better squad to cope with absences!!!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Weak Chiefs team
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
What with covid, injuries and a packed programme of games since the last season restarted, the dynamic of a squad has changed.

Intense contact training time per week has to reduce. Players who can naturally blend to a team that changes 50% or more from week to week will thrive.
A deeper squad is required, which means pay per player has to fall. In turn, this would tend to favour squads who can call upon younger players (who tend to be cheaper). Some teams lacking such depth will want to poach to fill in their gaps. Some smaller countries will do the same with dual nationals.
Coaches who impose a style or structure that changes little from week to week, in order to provide a 'pick and mix' approach to team selection will start to see their game unpicked and undone.
Coaches who train to a system less, who train with less contact time, but focus more on stamina and adaptive game skills (the ability to look up and see the gaps and opportunities), their teams will thrive.

We have come to know teams for their style of play. Wasps are morphing into something that doesn't have a style as such. Instead, we are seeing players with the confidence to look up and adapt to what is happening around them. Take a good look at the Gaskell try, that really started when JTA looked up, saw the opportunity in front of him, called to Umaga, who in turn changed up the plan and flicked the ball inside. Launch and Gaskell immediately saw what was going to happen and moved to support. Through goes JTA, offloads to launch, who offloads to Gaskell. Job done. When did these four last play together? Goodness knows. But, watch that move and you would swear they had being working together like that for years as mates. But they hadn't. Now go back and see how many of our squad now seem to be able to do the same 'intermix' style of play.

We had loads of two on one defensive tackles on Saturday, but the pairings changed all the time. But each member of each pair knew what to do. Upper body, lower body. Jackal, trap the ball. That is how we defended so well for those first 20 minutes. It was effective, disruptive and destructive. But it wasn't certain players doing it. It was all of them, mixing it up as they went.

It will be interesting to see how transfers (in and out) and promotions from the academy will go. My suspicion is that those youngsters who are lured away will come to regret it, thinking that it is their own personal skills that made them successful. It isn't. It is the coaching and the squad. As a rugby player, you are only as good as the player on your shoulder. Make a burst through, in a dash for glory, and you will get robbed. Look back on our lost games this season, see how many times one of our players makes such a dash (young scrum halves are the worst offenders) and get turned over. Then see Saturday's game. Making the breaks with support. Like that Sopoaga try. And yet, Sopoaga and Odogwu both left tries out there by letting the dash for glory blur their brains. Odogwu should have known Sopoaga was there and passed. And the inverse later as Sopoaga failed to pass to Odogwu. For me, our forwards have gotten this into their heads, not so all our backs all the time yet. Time is probably ticking away for Sopoaga, but Odogwu needs to learn that he can use his hands to pass as well as catch.

Opportunities to get better, and so I think the only way is up. The grin on JTA's face when Gaskell scores sums it up. Most of those guys are having fun, else why would you be out there in the cold and wet?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 09:54:49 AM »
Compared to the Prem Final they were missing:

2.Cowan-Dickie
3.Harry Williams
4.Sam Skinner
5.Jonny Hill

7.Jannes Kirsten

13.Slade
14.Nowell
15.Hogg

It’s a fair few missing and not in the team at all who were on the bench for the final were Ben Moon, Johnny Gray and Jacques Vermeulen.

So we even though it was a very good Wasps performance and Chiefs weren’t exactly bad, we probably shouldn’t get too carried away.

I’d have had Shields and Barbeary starting at 6/8 and Willis at 7.  Probably would have had (an in-form) Jimmy at 12, obviously Fekitoa at 13 then Kibirige on the wing.  For me, at the moment Minozzi vs Lima is a coin-toss but would probably start Minozzi with Lima to come on.

On balance, that’s 6 players not starting that I’d have started for us but 8 for Chiefs.  So the chat that they had a weakened team out is true, especially considering the 3 players missing from their bench who were/are all internationals.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
Yeah I'd say they had weaker squad, but it was more to say we were missing players too. Perhaps it's because chiefs were missing across the squad, where as for us it was mainly backline with 2 definite absentees in forward pack. And forward pack was one of the main things that won the game.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 10:05:57 AM »
Excellent analysis, NWW, thanks for sharing.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 10:11:41 AM »
A team also doesn't become the best at the pick and go game without spending hours as a squad practicing it so all chiefs players will be strong both sides of that strategy due to the time they put into it, as many hours on defending it as on attacking with it, probably more defending it for some of the squad players.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
Thank you NWWl. That was so helpful and very very informative for people like me.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
Maybe that wasn't the strongest team Exeter could put out and maybe we did benefit, but how many times have they put their strongest team out anyway? They've lost players to internationals and all their players have to be rested and are subject to injuries.

How many games have they won with weakened sides, probably weaker than the one we faced?

The table positions still suggest they are the best squad and this is about a season's performance we should take the wins as and when they come and judge our overall performance next June or whenever the season eventually comes to an end.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
Their team was arguably further off their ideal 1st XV than ours. But they are also the team who spend the most time bleating on about how the whole squad matters and how they can move players in and out without a negative effect on their performance.

Either way we stuffed them good and proper. That's 2 out of 3 since Lee took over.

Wasps have made some very brave decisions over the last year or two, many of which may have originally been because of finances. But now they are looking inspired.

Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
To bring this back to yesterday I didn't hear Baxter say at any time that the loss was down to missing players. He accepted a team playing them fronted up and played them better at their own game.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
Personally I found Exeter's attitude to yesterday's game and resting players a bit baffling. I get the argument that they can't win every game but ultimately they lost to a side likely to be battling them at the end of the season  and gave them 5 league points, a week after playing the side who are currently twelfth. If they struggle during the 6 Nations, that could really come back to bite them in June.

I think Lee is getting the squad management absolutely spot on at the moment. I get the impression from what the players post on social media that we are training less, but with more direction and intensity. As a result the players look a lot less tired compared to other clubs. Whether this change is the result of limiting potential exposure to Covid or a planned change by Pete Atkinson I am not sure, but this throwback to the Gatland era produced one of our most dominant displays since he left the the club.

And the most frightening thing is when you think of the players to come back in to the squad, I really think we're only 55-60% of the way to fulfilling our potential.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »
Fully agree with all of the above. You could argue we had five nailed on starters missing ourselves. Plus it's been drummed into us that the "Exeter way" is prevalent throughout a squad of such depth that they can rotate at will with little impact. I found Baxters approach extremely odd. Pre match all he spoke about was the inevitability of losing. The truth is they were beaten by a better side on the day and were bettered in every department, including attitude.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 11:37:33 AM »
Think Exeters rest period plans were affected by their Covid cancellation in Europe as that didn't count as either a rest game or a rest period for their players.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
It's the games you win with a weakened team that are as informative as any for a team and a squad

We beat Sarries full Euro team with lots of people missing and that in some way defined us last season. BUT yesterday - it's a reasonable observation that Exeter were probably weakened more than us by the selections, however, that doesn't mean any game vs Exeter is "easy" and that our win is any more devalued than running in 60 vs Sarries at Coventry was, by it not being Sarries best team.

None of the sane Exeter supporters elsewhere where I post were making excuses and were very complementary on our performance, attitude and tactical awareness. And our performances across 2020 showed we play as a squad and everyone thinks they can do the job.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »
Also remember even at this early stage Exeter HAVE to win their next two Euro matches with 5 pointers to have a chance of progressing (they could do with a covid cancellation not of their making!). Resting senior players now makes complete sense with that target in mind. Bring them all together next week for a run out and go for it.
Let me tell you something cucumber