Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The revival  (Read 3364 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The revival
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:08 AM »
Don't know how many people still look here, but I assume given the season starts soon, sportsnetwork will start to demand articles, and soon enough our board will disappear.  So I thought I'd start a post here just to help everyone remember :D.

Excited about this season, going to be tougher still with more teams strengthening, but I'm hoping that the greater familiarity will see both our defence and attack improve.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: The revival
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
I'll miss Kurtley. I believe if he hadn't done his hammie then we would have beaten Exeter and it wouldn't have gone to extra time either.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
I too will miss him. I think he and his gf will miss the UK and London. Especially the golf. I have a feeling that he has been sold a pup by Cheika. He said Kurtley would be more likely to get a place in the Wallabies side in 2017 thru to 2019. He has been told to push and work towards the 12 shirt. Not the 15 shirt. That suits Kurtley. Whilst he was best for us at 15, at heart he wants to be a 12. But I think he will struggle against the competition from younger, better players. At best he is only 3rd choice for that shirt.

But, he has signed up for the Internationals this year, IF he gets picked, followed by next Year's Super Rugby league. The Waratahs have had a truly awful year this year, and Kurtley was not fit enough to play at the seasons end this year. Financially, they will struggle to pay him. I wonder if he only gets paid by the national team if he gets picked? He could easily find himself kicking his heels for months, and getting paid a pittance (relatively speaking). If the Waratahs don't lift their game next year, he will be having a miserable time playing for them as well. And he signed up for two years. It seems likely that Dai has said he would be welcome to come back, and Kurtley is on record as saying he wants to. But Dai won't pay him a lot. Probably no more than £200k, because he will be older ...

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »
I thought he looked more comfortable at 12 myself, some great defensive reads, and hands on the ball a lot.  His kick receiving was rather iffy for me at 15.  Either way, I agree that having him for the final would have been huge, and likely the difference.  Ah well.

I'm excited for the new season though, hoping to see a better oiled machine in process.  If we can bottle some of that defence from the final, we'll do very well.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:49:30 AM »
So close to the new season! So desperate for it to start!  Watching the rugby championship is nice, but in some ways it's just making it worse, since I want to see the team I support playing.  Tempted to watch the Ulster game for a 4th time!

Really hope the whole connacht game can get uploaded/streamed.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
And there it goes!

Cannot wait to see how the new team goes.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »
Hoping more cohesion in attack and defence. Think our defence is going to surprise a few.

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
Season ticket arrived yesterday and got the new shirt today. Booked into the Hilton on Saturday and can't wait!
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:02 PM »
Can't wait for the first game. Am installed with friends in Lichfield and counting the minutes...

I think we're gonna have a good season.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »
Enjoy Lichvegas VV, it's my home town.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.