Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps team to play Sale Sharks  (Read 3222 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Wasps team to play Sale Sharks
« on: September 01, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »
 Director of Rugby Dai Young has named his Wasps team to face Sale Sharks at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday 2 September, kick off 3pm.

Wasps are set to open the 2017/18 campaign at the Ricoh Arena this Saturday as they take on Sale Sharks in their first game of the new season. Tickets for the game are available to purchase online at wasps.co.uk/tickets

New signing Gaby Lovobalavu is named to start at outside centre, while fellow new faces Juan De Jongh and Marcus Watson are included among the replacements, primed to make their Aviva Premiership debuts for Wasps.

Joe Launchbury returns to captain the side, in the second row, having been rested during Wasps’ two pre-season fixtures following England duty. Fellow England international Nathan Hughes is also included in the starting line-up, with Matt Mullan named on the bench.

Ahead of Wasps’ first game of the 2017/18 season, Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “We’re all looking forward to getting back out there on Saturday. After a tough pre-season, the boys can’t wait to be back out on the field at the Ricoh Arena in front of our home support.

“We’ve had two good wins in our pre-season games against Ulster and Connacht, but as we prepare to kick off our Aviva Premiership campaign we know that pre-season victories count for very little in a competition where anyone can beat anyone on their day.

“Ultimately, last season was a good one for us but we came up just short in the Final and of course there’s still a bit of hurt there. Everyone knows the attacking game we like to play and our approach this season will be similar in terms of what I think we need to do to be up there again, but as a team we’re looking for more accuracy and improvements across the board.

“Sale first up is a tough challenge and they have recruited really well. You’re always going to get a dogged performance from Sale, they’re really physical, they play for each other, have a good set piece and they’ve added some big ball carriers as well as some quality players in the backline. Sale have always caused us problems and I’m sure that Saturday will be no different.

“We can’t wait to be back at the Ricoh where we love playing and we know we need to start strongly there. Hopefully our Wasps fans will give the squad a big roar as they run out to remind them how much everyone is behind them again.”

The game represents the first time Wasps' new Under Armour anniversary kit will be seen in a competitive game.

It is set to be a great family day out with plenty of entertainment taking place in the Wasps Nest Fan Village in the Ericsson Exhibition Hall.

Activities include a mariachi band, Wasps Netball crazy catch and shoot, Coventry Blaze mascot and shoot for goal challenge, Coventry Water Polo speed tracker and Batak Challenge where you can try to beat Wasps players' scores. All to be hosted by BBC Coventry and Warwickshire Radio presenter Brody Swain. 

Wasps fans are also encouraged to visit Wasps Store on match day to view a selection of the club's 150th Heritage Range as well as Under Armour’s 150th anniversary shirt.

For all of your matchday info click here to see Navigate the Nest

Tickets are available from wasps.co.uk/tickets

Wasps team to face Sale Sharks at the Ricoh Arena - Saturday 2 September, 3pm KO 

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Christian Wade
13. Gaby Lovobalavu
12. Jimmy Gopperth
11. Josh Bassett
10. Danny Cipriani
9. Dan Robson
1. Simon McIntyre
2. Tom Cruse
3. Jake Cooper-Woolley
4. Joe Launchbury (c)
5. Kearnan Myall
6. Ashley Johnson
7. Alex Rieder
8. Nathan Hughes

16. Will Rowlands
17. Matt Mullan
18. Marty Moore
19. Matt Symons
20. Jack Willis
21. Joe Simpson
22. Juan De Jongh
23. Marcus Watson

Unavailable for selection through injury

Kyle Eastmond, Marcus Garratt, James Gaskell, James Haskell, Sam Jones, Alex Lundberg, Tommy Taylor, Guy Thompson, Thomas Young.

No mention of Rob Miller. That's tough
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:09:11 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps team to play Sale Sharks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »
I guess that means WLR is fit!!

The reliable 10/12 combo of Cips and Gopperth.

Interesting to see Ash in the back row, and not at hooker. Also nice to see Rowlands and Willis on the bench.

I guess JdeJ and Watson needed more time to settle in to the Wasps way of things. Neither had a good run out in the pre-season games, but Watson did well in the 7's.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
Presumably Ash is our replacement hooker, like some games last season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
The starting team looks so last year!

Gopperth at 12 then, that's my prediction out of the window!

Lots of talent around, wonder what's up with Miller?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 01:00:25 PM »
At FB, Dai had a choice of WLR or Miller, it would seem. Dai usually puts 3 backs on the bench. One is normally scrum half, and one is normally a wing, and the other is normally a centre. And so you have Simmo, de Jongh and Watson. If he needs to replace the FB, he has plenty of options from the 23. None as good as Miller in the position, but good enough.

Miller has always been good or better than good, but WLR, on form, can be sublime. For me, the biggest question was, where, or IF, Gopperth would be playing. We all saw how well Cipriani played pre-season, and with Gaby in the squad ... but for now, Daly is resting, so Dai has not been forced to let us know what he will do with Gopperth once Daly is back.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
Going to need to make sure there is competition at the breakdown as Sale have good genuine 7s and also keep an eye on Faf  around that area as there were a number of breaks through the breakdown against us last year.

Looking forward to the game and the season again!

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »
I think they look very strong 6-9 and as already said we can't let them come through the middle of us. Their 6-8 probably has quite a bit more pace than ours so we will need to be on top of them defensively.

I think we can have them beat 1-5, however line outs could be tricky depending on the consistency of the throws.

They have a decent back line but then again, so do we  ;D, and we just need to concentrate on not giving away stupid knock ons etc.

It will be interesting to see how Cips plays as they really targeted him at the AJB last season.  I wonder if we will look to Ash and Alex to offer some protection.

I think we will look vulnerable at Hooker until TT gets back and unfortunately this week the back row has taken a hammering.  That being said it is a very strong 23 capable of delivering over the 80 minutes.

I can't wait.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 03:29:37 PM »
Think Faf is a bit erratic, put him under pressure and I reckon we can rattle him. Johnson is very good at frustrating scrum halves around the fringes if they give him a chance.