Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 9721 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2021, 05:23:18 PM »
I would have thought the chances of Stuart coming back are precisely zero. If Brookes does go we'll definitely need another TH. It depends on how Alo and Owlett are viewed by the coaches as to whether we need an established first teamed or a prospect.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2021, 07:11:49 PM »
Personally, I've never been a great fan of Stuart. But, after his brain dead penalty against us on Friday, I wouldn't want to see him ever back in the black and gold. He looked smug after it as well.

Can I agree with that. Didn't cover himself in glory when leaving.

Stuart has the potential to be England’s first choice TH for a number of years. To do what he is doing at his age is remarkable. You can’t complain that he left to join his favourite club (?) and work with England’s scrum coach.
Like Brookes he is the anchor at scrum time and would be a step up.

I've never rated Stuart as much of a scrummaging prop. Suits Eddie and his hybrids I suppose.
I get that people are upset about him going but to not rate his scrummaging is perplexing.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 07:13:26 PM »
A hooker moving on is to be expected tbh, mainly due to squad cycle but also due to having 2 very promising young hookers coming through in Oghre and Barbery. So having 4 Hookers all capable of starting is hard to split game time between and keep all happy (even accounting for injuries).
Being completely honest, I wouldn’t be too upset at TT leaving. Not because I don’t rate him (I do), but because Cruse is arguable our first choice, Oghre showed last season he’s at the level for the regular premiership games and Barbery... well, don’t have to say much there do I!

I’m more intrigued rather than concerned about what we opt to do at TH Prop if Brookes moves on. He came in as a player not many of use were convinced by. Saints fans were glad to be rid but I think he’s been a great signing. Good luck to him if he wants to look for one last big contract. I think we probably need to sign someone but doesn’t necessarily need to be international. Owlet deserves increased game time, so happy to sigma. Solid started rather than a star player.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 07:20:52 PM »
Re. Brookes. Brookes stats tell an interesting story. 19 carries for 10 metres made compared to 23 carries for 42 metres by Jeff. 21/27 tackle completion compared to 27/30 by Jeff. 345 minutes played compared to 295 by Jeff.

These stats do ignore the best part of Brookes game (by far) which is his scrummaging. JTA has come on in this way certainly but he is still not a rock like KB is. Given how many scrums end in penalties being on top in this area is worth giving up some metres and tackles in open play.

Agree with the general consensus that TT leaving would be a shame but not a shock or a catastrophe. If KB did move on IMO we'd need to sign a seriously good tight-head to replace him.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 07:55:49 PM »
TRP also reporting that Tommy Taylor is in discussions with Sale Sharks about a return there.

KB and TT leaving is a worry.

There are two POVs on this. Yes, will be missed but we have more than adequate stocks of front row players and replacements will also arrive. After all, when the Beast is fit again, we might get to see him in the #2 short!

Personally, I am not worried. Squads evolve every year. I am more concerned about about Malakai and a contract extension.

Well said. TT, if he goes, then it is with good wishes and I am not too concerned because we are well stocked. Cruse is super in the loose,  and finally getting credit he deserves from national commentators and with the other two we have a nice spread. Not sure where Alfie will end up, he seems pretty super in the back row. We are well stocked at two, regardless. I don't know enough about propping, but KB I have been impressed with more than most I feel.  I am not certain has not been given full credit in certain quarters until relatively recently, and I would hate to lose him but churn is inevitable.  That said I genuinely lack the knowledge to evaluate the front row. 

Malakai I am hugely keen to see stay. I think he offers something few do in the league.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:02:49 PM by westwaleswasp »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 08:56:23 PM »
I'd be sorry to see KB and TT go - they'd be in the squad for any other Home Nation than England and it's like having 2/3 of an international front row alongside more than decent LHs

I understand their dilemmas. Less so KB's, but we are well stocked with hookers....if....we really think long term, I'd want to ask if Alfie is best at hooker. Having seen those recent games - part of me wants him as a hybrid player, and not so much as a hooker hybrid. But that's not really one for me to decide.

I was never sure what Eddie wanted him for. He's not started a Prem game as a hooker and he was not going to play as a back row, was he? I'm almost relieved that he's not available for Jones to play with.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2021, 10:51:38 PM »

I'd not watched Alfie play before he started for us in the back row.
However, I'd read a few game reports that questioned his line out throwing.
When you've got the open field pay that he has, if your line out throwing isn't up to scratch, there's little point in playing him as a hooker.

I'm also yet to be convinced by Oghre's throwing under pressure - obviously there was that one lineout at the death in the final, but I certainly won't hold that one against him.
However there were some other dodgy ones the next time he played too.
I'm willing to accept that it was just playing on his mind and that he was over trying (I also think our starting hooker struggled in that game too, so if may have been weather conditions etc)…...... But I want to see some good like out work from him before I put that one to bed.

I'd want to keep TT and Cruse if there's any doubt over the line out work if Gaby or Alfie

As for Brookes, we should be trying to keep him at all costs.
Tight head props as good as him are rare and expensive.
JTA is better in the open, Brookes is better at scrum time
It's an attritional position, so having 2 first choice props is not a bad thing.... Alo and Owlett will get plenty of game time

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »
As for Brookes, we should be trying to keep him at all costs.
Tight head props as good as him are rare and expensive.

Particularly those that are available all year and not away playing for their country for a third of the season.

asteriskszegol

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 11:32:51 AM »
Offload Tommy Taylor without a backwards look? Are we mad? Even contemplate Kieron Brookes going? A good thing the French have shut their borders!

Please, please, pretty please: move heaven and earth to keep them both. Alfie, Jack, Brad, Jamma - they can pretty much fill for all sorts of positions - but front row excellence is an alchemy that we've only been graced with twice in the last 20 years!!

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 12:02:11 PM »
Offload Tommy Taylor without a backwards look? Are we mad? Even contemplate Kieron Brookes going? A good thing the French have shut their borders!

Please, please, pretty please: move heaven and earth to keep them both. Alfie, Jack, Brad, Jamma - they can pretty much fill for all sorts of positions - but front row excellence is an alchemy that we've only been graced with twice in the last 20 years!!

Agree completely. Zac Nearchou will hopefully get a full contract next season but will still be 2 years off from being ready to start in big games - assuming he ever gets there. No reason why he wouldn't but you never know with young players. If we lose Brookes we will be in the market for a strong scrummager and forced to pay big bucks to get one. Unless he's disaffected (don't see any sign of that and KB has a history of gaining weight and playing very badly when he's not happy so I suspect we'd know), or just really wants the cultural experience of living in France, we should pay whatever we need to pay to keep him. We should save a packet on ZZ. With any luck, that's what all this is about - an "agent" rumour.

Of course if Zac does get promoted and we keep KB there's a question of whether we need to lose a TH. I'd be keen to see a bit of Jack Owlett before I write him off, just in case there is a player there that we're missing. Maybe against the Dragons if that game goes ahead? He would be in the firing line though.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 11:17:44 AM »
Also on another topic, apparently Quins are suffering ....

Rumours of discontent, Laing & Young off, Brown off, Smith no new contract and Marler apparently requested transfer.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »

Rumours of discontent, Laing & Young off, Brown off, Smith no new contract and Marler apparently requested transfer.

Perhaps why they declined to bring games forward - didn't fancy facing Wasps while in turmoil.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see Smith in a team where he’s getting a lot more, or even some, quick front foot ball and not having to defend as much.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 12:49:08 PM »
Smith has been rumoured to be Bath bound. Would form a good partnership with Spencer.

Surprised at the Quins rumour. From the interviews I’ve read/listened to over the past couple seasons, I thought Gustard had created a really positive atmosphere. Perhaps something has changed there behind the scenes.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 12:50:18 PM »

Laing to one of the Scottish regions...i quite rate him as a 12, he'd be a good fit here.
Marlers an idiot, more likely more persona work
Be interested to see if Smith does go to Bath ..think he'd do really well there