Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Newcastle Players  (Read 1831 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Newcastle Players
« on: January 11, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
Watching the highlights on TV, and all the Newcatle players had some device taped to just below their right ear.

Anyone know what they are?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Players
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 07:27:11 PM »
Its the device that measures impact effect. Think the EAs had something similar a season ago.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »
Yes, mentioned in commentary, they measure concussion. Must be a good thing.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »
These will be mandatory very soon I'm sure.  Surprised they're not already.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 08:56:49 AM »
I thought they were built into gum shields so other clubs may already have them.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »
I knew about the gum shield ones (already used by several Clubs, but not Wasps yet).

The ones on the heads of Newcastle players strike me (no pun intended) as likely to cause injury in case of a head collision in a ruck.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
I thought it was all still at the research stage? I’m sure once they e done that they’ll make the appropriate technology mandatory. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 10:10:03 AM »
I thought it was all still at the research stage? I’m sure once they e done that they’ll make the appropriate technology mandatory.

Likewise. I am wracking my brain as to which University is involved because there was an interesting article last year somewhere about it and what they hoped to gain/prove.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
Technically I don't think they measure concussion, but impact.
I would be surprised if they became mandatory as it would only show there had been a heavy impact, not that it had necessarily caused a concussion.
It would be quite a leap at the moment to say that a heavy impact required an HIA per se.
If they can get enough evidence together it may well become something they can do in the future, but its opening a can of worms without enough science to back it up..

Unless I'm mis-understanding how it works, I'm not a scientist...

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 10:42:02 AM »
It's Durham Uni that are responsible for the Newcastle ones, the gumshield ones  are commercial.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
And Birmingham Uni have been working on a pitchside saliva test machine that detects chemicals released by the body when a concussion happens.

The neck devices are looking to inform long term player welfare decisions, whereas the saliva test is trying to address immediate in game decision making.

I think Cardiff Uni are doing research to see if there is a difference between the mens and womens game. I don't think anybody is looking at kids though, which maybe they should be, if such research could be ethical?

Which is more important, I cannot say. I personally would like to see the saliva test being shown to be accurate and effective, and then come in to use, and be cheap enough that lower levels could use it as well.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
And Birmingham Uni have been working on a pitchside saliva test machine that detects chemicals released by the body when a concussion happens.

The neck devices are looking to inform long term player welfare decisions, whereas the saliva test is trying to address immediate in game decision making.

I think Cardiff Uni are doing research to see if there is a difference between the mens and womens game. I don't think anybody is looking at kids though, which maybe they should be, if such research could be ethical?

Which is more important, I cannot say. I personally would like to see the saliva test being shown to be accurate and effective, and then come in to use, and be cheap enough that lower levels could use it as well.

I remember positive commernts on the saliva test but wasn't that the season before the one just finished. Not heard anything since. It sounded a great quick method of determining whether a player was in a good place or not.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
One of them ,can’t remember which, was also measuring (or trying to) the whiplash effect on necks as well. Could well be the Newcastle ones as that is where it’s stuck.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
I think there's 2 connected things here.

1. Immediate concussion suffered on the pitch. this can happen at all levels of the game & needs a simple quick solution for coaches to be able to know for sure that players need to be subbed. Its fine at the top level with doctors in attendance but at grass roots a lot of the time its down to the referee to tell players they have to go off. Not scientific in any way and leaves the amateur refs open to abuse or potential litigation. If the saliva test can be proved & made available it would resolve this issue very quickly. This is an issue at all levels & age groups.

2. Long term damage from non-concussion causing hits. This is the much trickier one, but its only really at the top end of the game. The grassroots game hasn't really changed over the last 20-40 years and looking round any amateur club bar there's lots of dodgy knees, wrecked backs & cauliflower ears but not much dementia or memory issues. The impact at professional level from multiple hits in training & games is where the impact sensor research is aimed I believe. Its incredibly important not just for the players but for the whole of rugby that effective measures can be introduced at the top of the game where they are needed & the amateur game can continue pretty much as is. Other wise the "stop rugby in schools lobby" will start to gain momentum and rugby as we know it will be no more