Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP - no relegation and a 13 team Premiership next season  (Read 4574 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP - no relegation and a 13 team Premiership next season
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 04:10:03 PM »
They were relegated because they would not open their accounts for independent scrutiny (as well as cheating).
Part of the process in getting promoted is to have a clubs accounts scrutinised to ensure they are financially viable for life in the Premiership.  So how does this work??
Let me tell you something cucumber

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »
Neils,
I think the scrutiny only extends back 2 years.

On the subject of the Asterisks being promoted, I've been told by an ex-outside broadcast bod that BT reckon that the Prem would be a more attractive proposition for them (BT that is). Quite why they think that, if they do, I don't know. Perhaps the presence of a number of international players.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 06:02:16 PM »
Neils,

On the subject of the Asterisks being promoted, I've been told by an ex-outside broadcast bod that BT reckon that the Prem would be a more attractive proposition for them (BT that is). Quite why they think that, if they do, I don't know. Perhaps the presence of a number of international players.

I suspect you're right that some execs think Saracens are good box office. Personally I think they were bad for the audience when their winning was all but a foregone conclusion and I suspect if they stayed down most of their international players would quickly transfer their undying allegiance to other clubs.

If they win promotion then so be it but a rigged behind-doors deal to create a 13th place for them... No thanks

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »
One phrase really sums up many facets in this tawdry scenario "money talks".

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 03:55:51 PM »
Isn’t a promoted club suppose to be able to show that it has not breached the salary cap in any of the three preceding seasons?

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 05:19:03 PM »
Isn’t a promoted club suppose to be able to show that it has not breached the salary cap in any of the three preceding seasons?

IT's only 2 I think, for sarries that would be their last year in Prem plus year in Championship.

I think thats why they were offloading expensive players before the end of last season. The covid delays probably helped them as the end of season was so late and was after a number of players moved clubs.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »

It was 2 years
However, the bit in the salary cap rules relating to it has been removed this year, so no need to prove 2 years any more

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 07:32:13 PM »
Neils,

Not questioning your source but trying to make sense of it.

They are such a product, nobody goes to watch them. Myself, and I know others, don't watch their games on the box...I struggle to see the attraction or draw myself as the metrics don't support the argument

MarleyWasp

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 07:39:30 PM »
It was meant to be current season and the season before that but someone didn't proof read the approved cap properly making it the current season and two before that...

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 01:09:25 PM »
I'm still struggling to see how Sarries can be below the cap. They off-loaded various players to other clubs to hopefully bring themselves back under the cap for this season. Despite being in the Championship the PRL rules still apply. Those rules apply to the current campaign and the previous season.

Despite being a gobby wotsit I respect Ben Spencer for drawing a line under proceedings and signing for Bath.

Malin, Earle and Bristol.

Brizzle are the richest club so why did they agree to help Sarries out by reducing Sarries wage bill?

Why didn't Malin and Earle simply sign for Bristol.. do what Spencer did.. cut their losses and move on to pastures new..

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 01:39:27 PM »
BG...
They don't have to be under the cap for the previous season.... Just this season.

The clause in the cap that used to refer to the previous season has been removed this year

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »
Regarding Bristol,I suppose it could be a case of the Saracens shenanigans not affecting them as they were mostly in the championship during the 2010s. So for them to pick up a couple of players is just good business.

Would love to be a fly on the wall of their accounting office this year though ,to see how they cope with the cap reduction.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
BG...
They don't have to be under the cap for the previous season.... Just this season.

The clause in the cap that used to refer to the previous season has been removed this year

That clears things up.

So Ealing could throw £100m at player recruitment and contracts and they won't get pinged if they are promoted the following season.. but not this season?

Ealing could be sold a stake in PRL. Owen Slot from The Times (thank you Heathen) roughly estimated a share (A's + B's) might cost £20m and each club would then receive a £1.5m handout.

Thankfully Owen Slot is a journalist and not a business owner. He's forgotten CVC take roughly a 1/3rd of all ongoing revenue from the time they bought shares in PRL.

If Ealing are willing to pay £20m then CVC will receive about £6 - 7m.

If I was Ealing, I'd just dog it out for a couple of seasons. See which current PRL club can't sustain the overheads.. then buy their shares.