Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 4524 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: January 17, 2021, 07:56:00 AM »
Apart from giving the EAs promotion without playing a game we have -
Vellacott to Edinburgh which makes sense as he is Scottish qualified.
In return we get/pick up Elliot Miller Mills from Ealing - a prop.
Nice interview with Gaskell. He has 18 months to run and is very happy to stay. Enjoying his rugby and the team.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 08:00:37 AM »
Also interview with Florence Williams of Wasps Ladies. Interesting.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 08:18:42 AM »

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 08:22:45 AM »
I did laugh at the story that Kelly Brown may be on his way back to Sarries, his family haven’t settled north of the border and and want to move back to St Albans, where they still have a house.
Of course they do. 😂

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »
I did laugh at the story that Kelly Brown may be on his way back to Sarries, his family haven’t settled north of the border and and want to move back to St Albans, where they still have a house.
Of course they do. 😂

Paid by who? 😀

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 08:27:26 AM »
So a LH Hislop and TH Millar-mills would make sense to fill in one of each leaving (ZZ and Brookes?) and very much fits the development ethos of Lee, even though the 2 potential new props are only relatively young in propping years not actual years!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:36:59 AM »
Miller-Mills's sister is Harriet, who plays for Wasps Ladies and England. I would expect him to be the replacement for Owlett rather than Brookes.

Ben's mother is Scottish and he played age group Rugby for Scotland. I'd be disappointed if he left but the move hasn't really worked out for him and with a great chance of playing international Rugby I can see the appeal of Edinburgh.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »
Since Vellacott might be leaving, perhaps we'll promote a scrum half from the academy (assuming we have a scrum half in the academy) or he'll be called up if we have injuries.

It's interesting that we're focusing on smaller signings, not big budget signings. The only player we were briefly linked to that would be particularly expensive was Cordero. Since then we've not been (reliably) linked with many established players.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:19:28 AM »

So I sit here seeing all these prop rumours and think that this is what happens when you have a front row forward as a head coach replaced by a back.

There aren't many THPs out there who can provide as stable a platform as Brookes... And replacing him with a young or inexperienced prop just isn't going to cut it

However, with salary reductions required to meet a decreasing cap, then I suppose something has to give.
I just wish it wasn't in our front row.

But if we're losing Vellacott, ZZ and Brookes, hopefully that means few other compromises

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 09:30:54 AM »
In our Academy, at Uni right now (might be his second year, or maybe first year), is Ollie Monye (yes, THAT family). A scrum half, and, in the games I have seen, very good. I only saw him as a schoolboy then, so he was relatively slight, but, no doubt will bulk a little in his late teens.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
Shame about Ben Velacott.

I was excited when he signed and thought he would be pushing Dan all the way - and would be first choice when Dan was on international duties.

Ben needs game time to get back to where he was before his injury.

I’m not sure it makes sense to have Dan and 3 other very capable 9’s.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
In our Academy, at Uni right now (might be his second year, or maybe first year), is Ollie Monye (yes, THAT family). A scrum half, and, in the games I have seen, very good. I only saw him as a schoolboy then, so he was relatively slight, but, no doubt will bulk a little in his late teens.

What relation to Ugo is he?
Surprised that he wouldn't have signed for Quins if he was related.
I assume it's not his son otherwise he'd likely be London based

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 11:17:25 AM »
If Owlett and Brookes go we'll need two TH's. It's slowly becoming clear that our front row is going to be going through material change. Most of it is probably unavoidable but it makes the JTA situation more critical.

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »
Slight change of subject, still TRP. Anybody read the article (page 18) about Will Taylor, formerly of this parish. Is the photo printed with the article a pic of Phil Swainston not Will Taylor? Wasn’t that the shot taken, can’t remember the match, when we had scored to win the game and Phil gave it the ‘gorilla roar’ bit stood on the touchline?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
Phil swainston