Always a Wasp

Author Topic: World Rugby qualification rules  (Read 1420 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
World Rugby qualification rules
« on: January 23, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
There's been a bit of chat in media/forums about which players might choose which country to play for or hope which country chooses them.

If the same rules were to be applied to people (actors, politicans, monarchy, us) who don't play pro rugby.. but somehow managed to find themselves within in the selection pool.. under the spotlight, I wonder who might be picked to represent a country they barely know.

As far as I'm aware, the furthest qualification goes back to the country of birth of a grandparent.
5 yrs residency?

To start the ball rolling.

Would Prince William be available for selection to represent Greece?

On a personal level, I'd be able to represent Wales based on my granddad's country of birth.

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: World Rugby qualification rules
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
My mother was born in Wales. Her father was believed to be Scottish but a subsequent Ancestry check discovered that he was born in Somerset. Fortunately, my father’s lineage is pure Bucks and I am happy to stay with it!!

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:29:40 AM »
I know it would never happen but I'd love it if they set the rules that all international sports competitors must be citizens of that country with no dual nationality allowed.
Putting the home nations to one side for the moment it would focus people's minds... Does your country want you enough to offer you a passport? Do you like the country enough to renounce any other nationality you might have?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:29:06 PM »
I think it should go back as far as parent's nationality, not grandparents. That pushes it to my mind.

Don't think it should be necessarily be place of birth, as you could have been born in a country by a twist of fate.

. A case in point would be my younger sisters situation. Both of our parents were London born, and when I was one, my father was posted to Canada for three years. Two years into that my sister was born in Canada, but we moved back to England when she was one year old, and can't remember anything about that Country.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
The implementation of the 5 year residency has been delayed due to Covid. Not entirely sure why.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 02:24:42 PM »
The implementation of the 5 year residency has been delayed due to Covid. Not entirely sure why.

So all these redundant Saffers coming in to all the clubs have a long term chance - maybe!
Let me tell you something cucumber