Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Huge surprise  (Read 1996 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Huge surprise
« on: January 28, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »
to no one...

Will Rowlands to leave Wasps at the end of the season

Wasps can today confirm that lock Will Rowlands will be leaving the club at the end of the current season, to join Welsh Pro 14 side Dragons.

Wasps Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “Whilst we are obviously disappointed to see Will leave, we fully understand his reasons for needing to play in Wales.

“Will has and always will be highly respected by everyone at the club, on and off the field.

“He has been a great servant to Wasps, and everyone here wishes him all the best for the future. We look forward to seeing him play many more times for Wales.”

Rowlands added: "I feel very fortunate to have been able to play for this great club.

“I cannot thank everyone enough who has been involved with Wasps over the last seven years for all the support, guidance and motivation they have provided me on my journey to becoming a better player.

“I will be forever grateful to have been a part of this special group of people.

“Unfortunately, change is inevitable, and I am beginning a new chapter in my career. However, I will be cherishing the rest of this season at Wasps and looking forward to making a few more priceless memories."

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/will-rowlands-to-leave-wasps-at-the-end-of-the-season/?fbclid=IwAR3C_ZTJG13EqH1GN3CN2e1Yvh4ki291bH-2vtLsr68rCEUVa5xHuUcy1Cc

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Huge surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 12:13:10 PM »
As you say no surprise
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 12:42:53 PM »
“Will has and always will be highly respected by everyone at the club, on and off the field."

Judging from what was said when he was on the Any Sting Goes podcast that's not  PR guff, it sounded like quite a few went down to watch his 1st international.

Listening to him he sounds like a great guy to have a pint with. I wish him well and thank him for his service.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
Fair play chasing his international dream, but Dragons is a massive step down in quality.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 01:58:24 PM »
He doesn't come across like someone who is thrilled to be making the move.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 02:05:08 PM »
Dean Ryan will be happy to have him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 03:06:34 PM »

Is that something you heard on the podcast or what you've read generally?

I'd imagine it'd be a hard thing to take when you can't have the best of both worlds (by that I mean being at Wasps where he's clearly happy and still playing for Wales).

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 03:20:51 PM »
He will be missed by us that's for sure.

As for him not being thrilled with his move I think he realises Dragons are still the weakest Welsh region and unlike Wasps they won't be challenging for domestic and european trophies.

I can't blame him for taking the move though as playing International Rugby for Wales is a huge incentive both professionally and financially

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
Big loss.

Will and Joe are a formidable duo and I chuckle at the doom mongers from a couple of seasons ago who said he wasn’t good enough.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 04:50:15 PM »
I think it was that Euro semi final at the Madjeski where Sam Jones was picked as our reserve lock over Rowlands - and it did not work out. Long time ago now, Rowlands has been one of our most consistent players since. will certainly be tough to replace.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 04:53:59 PM »
Will he be available this weekend?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 05:13:46 PM »

Should be
Let me tell you something cucumber

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »
Sad to see it confirmed but wishing him the best of luck.

Although you can’t begrudge someone who wants to play for his country, the fact he’ll be 30 by the time he moves to Dragons is interesting. I do wonder whether the allure of a few more international caps whilst playing for a team like Dragons (with all due respect) is the best professional (and possibly financial) decision.

Should be. Pivac released all 6 Wales Premiership players back to their clubs this weekend. I suppose we’ll know for sure midday tomorrow.

Montague Withnail

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 05:41:07 PM »
Gutted, but completely understand. In some ways I'm glad it's official now, I can move on and stop hoping for a miracle!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 06:17:38 PM »

Is that something you heard on the podcast or what you've read generally?

I'd imagine it'd be a hard thing to take when you can't have the best of both worlds (by that I mean being at Wasps where he's clearly happy and still playing for Wales).
They didn't discuss any impending move, as far as I can remember, but as a general rule they stay well clear of subjects like that and club policy. Its mostly the guys just have a bit of fun.