Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps sign Ali Crossdale  (Read 5369 times)

TheTameWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps sign Ali Crossdale
« on: January 28, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »
Wasps are delighted to announce the signing of Ali Crossdale, who will join the Club at the end of the season from Saracens.

The 23-year-old back-three player has been included in Eddie Jones’ England Shadow Squad for this year’s Guinness Six Nations.

Crossdale has been at Saracens since 2016, after stints with Newcastle Falcons and Sale Sharks’ Academies.

An England international at Under 18 and 20, he played at the World Rugby Under 20 Championship in 2017 and 2018 and received a call-up to the England senior squad for the first time in October 2020.

The former Sedbergh School pupil furthered his development in 2019 with a season in Christchurch, New Zealand, as well as a spell at Greene King IPA Championship outfit Bedford Blues last season.

Crossdale made his first-team debut for Saracens against Harlequins in 2017 and made four Premiership appearances for them last season, with an impressive strike rate of three tries.

Wasps Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “We are delighted to sign an exciting young English back like Ali for next season.

“I’ve known about Ali for several years since he was a highly-rated schoolboy at Sedbergh. He has a great age profile, with his best years ahead of him. We are all looking forward to working with Ali and helping him reach his potential in a Black and Gold shirt.” 

Crossdale added: “Joining such a historic club that is consistently aspiring for greatness is something that really excites me.

"The entertaining style of rugby is something that I can’t wait to be involved in and I look forward to working with everyone at the club.”

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps sign Ali Crossdale
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 03:03:33 PM »
Faster fingers than me Tame!

Out of nowhere this one, hadn't seen any rumours.

Not too familiar with Crossdale but obviously a prospect if he's in the shadow squad.

Perhaps a replacement for Lima, who we now see as a 15 instead of 10?

TheTameWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »
Faster fingers than me Tame!

Out of nowhere this one, hadn't seen any rumours.

Not too familiar with Crossdale but obviously a prospect if he's in the shadow squad.

Perhaps a replacement for Lima, who we now see as a 15 instead of 10?

Thank you, the good news was a 3pm yesterday so I figured the same would happen today & was ready.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »
Now this is a surprise. Going to have to do a search!!
Let me tell you something cucumber

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 03:08:27 PM »
Brilliant Signing! Talented player who covers back 3, may be a longer term fullback?

Porter, Umaga, Spink, Odogwu, Crossdale, Sirker, Simmonds (plus Atkinson) - young talented backline

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »
Yes a pleasant surprise indeed, good young player with hopefully a very bright future in front of him.

Do we know if he's more comfortable as a winger or full back?

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 03:11:35 PM »

Do we know if he's more comfortable as a winger or full back?

From his RFU profile:

Ali Crossdale is a wing at Saracens who has spent time at Sale Sharks and Newcastle Falcons during his youth.
Having played fly half and full back while developing at Sedbergh School, Crossdale moved to Saracens in 2016
and made his debut a year later against Harlequins. He has developed his rugby with a stint in Christchurch in New Zealand in 2019 as well as a spell at Greene King IPA Championship outfit Bedford Blues in the 2019/20 season. A England international at Under 20, he played at the World Rugby Under 20 Championship in 2017 and 2018 and received a call-up to the senior squad for the first time in October 2020.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »
Wonder if this means Josh is definitely off.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 03:26:41 PM »
This is exciting. I reckon it's Lima's replacement.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 03:27:24 PM »
Wonder if this means Josh is definitely off.

Would it be for Josh, Lima, or Sirker?

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »
SO realistically we could be losing Bassett, Sops, Sirker and De Jongh. I feel Bassett could go if he gets a big offer to go somewhere. Sirker? not sure on how his contract situation goes.

Sops i will be surprised if he stays.... but you never know... De Jongh, want him to stay just because he is a great bloke.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 03:31:35 PM »
Definitely an interesting signing - more of a basset style winger and now maybe with Odogwu officially at 13 we need more options on the wing.
Long term cover for Lima and Miller just not sure where this leaves Sirker who still hasn’t had a chance after getting injured at a bad time

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
It would be mad to let Bassett go, there are several other candidates ahead of him that would be less likely to be offered terms. Unless of course he is being offered a better deal elsewhere, which is always a possibility.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 03:40:37 PM »
This is a great signing not only to get the player but also to show that young talented ambitious players want to sign with Wasps. They can see that they will get chances, can improve as players and further international ambitions. I think this is a big statement about where we are as a club that someone in the England shadow squad wants to join the squad. If almost say that ‘something special’ is happening Wasps.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 03:51:31 PM »
Nice to see us continue our recruitment of young prospects from the Championship as well.