Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps' biggest test under Lee and five other talking points Quins Loss  (Read 1620 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Wasps' biggest test under Lee and five other talking points Quins Loss
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »
Was it Brad that had the team in a huddle on the pitch, at the end of the match.

In Joe and Dan's absence I would like to see him lead the side. He is a natural leader, as he was at the Hurricanes.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »
Yes, I'd go with Shields.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »
  + 1

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
Was it Brad that had the team in a huddle on the pitch, at the end of the match.

In Joe and Dan's absence I would like to see him lead the side. He is a natural leader, as he was at the Hurricanes.

Brad certainly waved everyone into a huddle at half-time.  I didn't see it at full-time, but by that time had gone to get a stiff drink!!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »
Yes, I'd go with Shields.

+2
+3. I saw a number of SR games with him playing for 'Canes. He was def one of their leaders and was Capt for the 2018 season.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 07:10:06 PM »
Given the recent scarcity of tries from any of our usual back 3 options (apart from simple run-ins) isn't it now time for Sirker to be given a shot?

From what I understand he's been fit and training with the squad since September with no 'niggles' from his knee surgery and, if he is anywhere close to where he was performance-wise prior to his injury, he has already demonstrated the speed and natural finishing ability that we have been missing of late in every opportunity he's been given in the Black & Gold. I don't understand why it's taking so long for him to be afforded the same opportunities that some of his Academy graduate Peers benefitted from as he was truly outstanding amongst the same Peers prior to his injury.

He's also a six-footer!!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
Sirker wasn't named as one of the "travelling reserves" Sunday, backs were Vellacott, Atkinson and Simonds, given the missing wingers you might have expected him to be there if in contention.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »
Sirker wasn't named as one of the "travelling reserves" Sunday, backs were Vellacott, Atkinson and Simonds, given the missing wingers you might have expected him to be there if in contention.

That just reinforces my point!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 07:36:49 PM »
Given the recent scarcity of tries from any of our usual back 3 options (apart from simple run-ins) isn't it now time for Sirker to be given a shot?

From what I understand he's been fit and training with the squad since September with no 'niggles' from his knee surgery and, if he is anywhere close to where he was performance-wise prior to his injury, he has already demonstrated the speed and natural finishing ability that we have been missing of late in every opportunity he's been given in the Black & Gold. I don't understand why it's taking so long for him to be afforded the same opportunities that some of his Academy graduate Peers benefitted from as he was truly outstanding amongst the same Peers prior to his injury.

He's also a six-footer!!

I am excited by Sirker's potential, but as many have said before, he's of a sevens background and such. I tend to trust the coaching staff picking the right guys, perhaps his transition from sevens to 15s isn't going well as first hoped? I really want to see him given a chance, but I can understand the coaches being apprehensive.

Like with Owlett, not having A league games stops guys getting any game time. Shame.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »
I'm not sure this is Blackett's biggest test. We simply came up against a team who were playing with a an extra 20% as they'd just sorted their coaching issues. It was just one of those days for us. One thing I think Blackett and his staff need to work on is the way we start. On a number of occasions we're two tries down before the games really started. We cant keep coming from a decent way back.

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »

He's also a six-footer!!

I am excited by Sirker's potential, but as many have said before, he's of a sevens background and such. I tend to trust the coaching staff picking the right guys, perhaps his transition from sevens to 15s isn't going well as first hoped? I really want to see him given a chance, but I can understand the coaches being apprehensive.

Like with Owlett, not having A league games stops guys getting any game time. Shame.

Sirker was the 2nd top try scorer when the A League (15s competition) was most recently run (with the highest strike rate in the competition) and scored in the only Senior start he got which was against the EAs in the Prem Cup (15s competition) prior to his going on loan and getting injured. If not given am opportunity soon I fear that we may have another Piers O'Connor scenario on our hands with us all ruing the loss of a serious talent.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:58:27 PM by Damian68 »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:11 PM »

He's also a six-footer!!

Sirker was the 2nd top try scorer when the A League (15s competition) was most recently run (with the highest strike rate in the competition) and scored in the only Senior start he got which was against the EAs in the Prem Cup (15s competition) prior to his going on loan and getting injured. If not given am opportunity soon I fear that we may have another Piers O'Connor scenario on our hands with us all ruing the loss of a serious talent.

Fair point!