Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Worcester v Wasps post match thoughts  (Read 2601 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Worcester v Wasps post match thoughts
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »
A game of two halves.

I cannot recall a game where playing into the wind was a benefit rather than a hindrance, however today was the exception that broke the rule.

First 40 the best I have seen us play this year. Second forty was a good defensive set, but little offered in attack. Warriors kicked well and also dominated possession. Discipline wobbled with JTA, but Tom W was immense and deserved his man of the match.

Much to work on, and next week is tantalising as we head to Welford Road to take on Tigers.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester v Wasps post match thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
Noticed some derogatory remarks about JTA on worcs chat sites. Had to double check he hadn’t played for them in the past.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:22:08 PM »
Reports say the wind completely dropped in the second half. Apparently it only started just before kick off!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 05:35:30 PM »
Couple of players acquiring some useful form. Fekitoa, Taylor, Douglas, Minozzi. They'll all be needed.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 05:39:46 PM »
I think the first forty showed how a considered kicking game balances well with a ball in hand strategy. When we kicked we kicked with a purpose...it was either touch, for space/territory or to compete. The Aimless kicking game hurts more than hinders so to see it used well was refreshing.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 06:19:08 PM »
Couple of players acquiring some useful form. Fekitoa, Taylor, Douglas, Minozzi. They'll all be needed.
I agree, also thought Sam was good today as well, as was Shields and was in the ref's ear more than Dan or YY when they are playing. JTA needs some help with his scrummaging, he is too upright, I appreciate he is tall but as Nick Mullins pointed out he is 'long legged' and 'hinges at the waist', one to work on. With Levi, as well as he played, he reminds me of Nathan Hughes in his naivety around some of the laws, again one to work on. Also...was it just me or did Tempest shout 'Stop 4' at Levi every time we kicked ahead?
It was fine when I left it.....

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »
Also...was it just me or did Tempest shout 'Stop 4' at Levi every time we kicked ahead?

Perhaps he just wanted an ice cream

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »

For large portions of the first half, our scrum was being dominated... But then something changed and we started to get some parity.

When JTA came on, with Cruse also bring changed, we were under huge pressure

Interestingly, and it was only short term, but I thought we got a more stable platform once Theo came on.
He doesn't look like he should be a strong scrummager, but i also remember him playing a previous game where I thought we'd get dominated and we didn't look under power at all.
I'd like to see more of Theo playing

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 08:37:29 PM »
Watched late after heading out for a (very slow) walk with the kids in tow and not getting home until gone 13:30.

A much better display in general

— After saying on another thread that I wouldn’t begrudge Josh going elsewhere for a final payday and thought we wouldn’t miss him due to other Wingers we’ve got.  He showed today how much his work ethic positively benefits the team.  He rarely scores the glitzy tries that Kibirige does, but he must be about 40-50% win rate on kicks he competes on

— Thought Atkinson had a really good game.  He’s a real fighter, makes quick decisions, plays flat, isn’t scared of being hit or putting it about.  You could see how disappointed he was to be subbed (Jimmy too) from a bit of lip-reading

— We’re much more assured at the back with Minozzi at 15.  He’s deceptive, despite being relatively small is much more solid that Lima. 

— Fekitoa... BOOM!

— Back row were excellent and nice to see Vailanu back on to get some game-time.  Our tight five, so so.  Levi looked busy, someone has already mentioned, but Tempest seemed to be constantly talking to him

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 10:19:00 PM »

I think Atkinson's muttered words were more about dropping the ball then they were about being replaced.

I'm undecided about Minozzi. I like him, but I'm not sure that I feel he's miles ahead of miller.
Part of it will be related to some of the other overseas 15s that we've had in recent years

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 10:30:24 PM »

Fekitoa... BOOM!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Dobby tweeted: “Right guys So this weekend let’s put the winger out the back and get through the 13 channel”

Winger... are you sure?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1360939528865910788

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 10:55:18 PM »
He would certainly be top of Shaun's list!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 11:01:02 PM »

I think Atkinson's muttered words were more about dropping the ball then they were about being replaced.

I'm undecided about Minozzi. I like him, but I'm not sure that I feel he's miles ahead of miller.
Part of it will be related to some of the other overseas 15s that we've had in recent years
Completely agree. In the round Miller is the best full back we have. Minozzi is tricky going forward but he's not as secure under the high ball. I like Minozzi - I don't think we've actually seen the best of him. But I was gutted for Miller that he didn't make the 23 v Wuss.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 11:03:45 PM »
Watched late after heading out for a (very slow) walk with the kids in tow and not getting home until gone 13:30.

A much better display in general

— After saying on another thread that I wouldn’t begrudge Josh going elsewhere for a final payday and thought we wouldn’t miss him due to other Wingers we’ve got.  He showed today how much his work ethic positively benefits the team.  He rarely scores the glitzy tries that Kibirige does, but he must be about 40-50% win rate on kicks he competes on

— Thought Atkinson had a really good game.  He’s a real fighter, makes quick decisions, plays flat, isn’t scared of being hit or putting it about.  You could see how disappointed he was to be subbed (Jimmy too) from a bit of lip-reading

— We’re much more assured at the back with Minozzi at 15.  He’s deceptive, despite being relatively small is much more solid that Lima. 

— Fekitoa... BOOM!

— Back row were excellent and nice to see Vailanu back on to get some game-time.  Our tight five, so so.  Levi looked busy, someone has already mentioned, but Tempest seemed to be constantly talking to him

Try a haribo on a stick to make the kids walk faster

Undecided on Minozzi. Looks full of potential similar to Odogwu. Maybe needs Blackett to move him inside to bring him purpose or better execution at end of his runs.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 11:14:06 PM »
And While we're talking about Minozzi, I was worried that he may have gotten a yellow card early in the game.

They were attacking and sent a cross field kick to the corner for their winger.
Minozzi scrambled across and I felt he tackled him off the ball.

I thought we got lucky there, but I'll take it