Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ref Team for Weekend  (Read 2478 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Ref Team for Weekend
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »
I guess that the answer to CMK is not to give him any excuses to penalise us.

There must be plenty of video around as to what upsets him about our game in the past.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:56:48 PM by Heathen »

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 05:50:25 PM »
I guess that the answer to CMK is not to give him any excuses to penalise us.

There must be plenty of video around as to to what upset him about our game in the past.

I think the sight of anyone not wearing the same shirt as him is enough to get him going.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »
Whilst I agree that any team not doing their research and trying to make sure that they're playing to the appointed referees strengths and weaknesses, I find the massive variation in the empathy for the game between different referees in the Premiership ridiculous. You would hope that you would see a random distribution of appointments so we would get the best officials some of the time but can any one remember the last time Wayne Barnes refereed one of our games? CMK actually reminded me of Barnes in his early days but where Barnes quickly improved I've not seen any improvement from Maxwell Keys, he communicates with players like an angry headmaster and seems to make half of his decisions on previous team reputation rather than what's actually happening in front of him.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
Horus put this up on other site in reply to Wonky

2019/2020
Maxwell-Keys 4*
Dickson 3
Foley 3
Ridley 3
Tempest 3
Barnes 2
Carley 2
Pearce 2
Doyle 1
Woodthorpe 1

* includes the last minute replacement for Barnes in the Final.

2020/2021
Maxwell-Keys 2
Tempest 2
Carley 1
Foley 1
Jackson 1
Leal 1
Pearce 1
Smales 1

Yes we do get a couple of more games with CMK . I guess that with WB and maybe a couple of others being used for internationals ,it only feels like we don’t get ‘experienced’ refs as much as other clubs.

Other teams probably think the same too.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
If I recall someone did some research into this a couple of years ago (around the time of our first encounter with CMK when we were getting a lot of inexperienced refs), and I think it showed the EAs got Barnes by far the most, with most other clubs encountering him when playing away to them. It would be good to see if a, my memory isn't playing tricks and b, if it is still similar now the EAs have gone.  I'll have to see if I can find it on the other place.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 03:00:20 PM »
This is what I was thinking of...2016 / 17 season (to March) (attached as it won't copy over).  At that time Barnes and JPDoyle (!!!!) were considered the top 2 refs by some distance.  Interestingly CMK is described as 'rapidly improving'.  I was wrong about Saracens though, although they had both a couple of times it wasn't as much as Tiggers or Gloucester who had them 5 times. 

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/opinion-wasps-receive-rough-end-12671019

It was similar the year before, but not as pronounced.  We do seem to get more than our fair share of dodgy or inexperienced refs though.

2015/16 was...

AS   CMK   DR    GG    IT   JPD    LP    MC    TF    TW    WB
Bath                0    3     2     2     1     3     1     3     3     2     2
Exeter Chiefs       2    3     2     4     2     1     0     4     2     1     1
Gloucester          0    3     1     1     3     4     1     3     3     0     3
Harlequins          1    3     1     2     1     2     3     3     1     2     3
Leicester Tigers    0    1     0     5     1     5     0     2     2     4     2
London Irish        1    1     1     3     2     3     2     2     3     1     3
Newcastle Falcons   1    3     2     1     2     3     1     3     1     2     3
Northampton Saints  1    1     1     4     1     3     2     1     2     3     3
Sale Sharks         2    2     3     2     2     2     3     1     2     3     0
Saracens            1    2     2     4     3     2     2     2     2     1     0
Wasps               0    3     1     2     2     3     4     2     3     1     1
Worcester Warriors  1    3     0     4     2     3     1     2     2     0     3

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 09:58:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflrx089THA

Little compilation of Mr Barnes with some familiar faces

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 09:13:03 PM »

Enjoyed that, thanks.

There's a few incidents tonight that can be added. A masterclass in analysing foul play situations.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 09:40:37 PM »

Enjoyed that, thanks.

There's a few incidents tonight that can be added. A masterclass in analysing foul play situations.

+1

He’s rugby-intelligent, calm & methodical in his approach. I also get the impression that players respect him and don’t overly try to influence/manipulate him by shouting ‘suggestive’ comments and generally accept his decisions.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 09:56:43 PM »
   + 1

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 10:24:13 PM »
I guess it comes down to his barrister training, talking almost in 3rd person and almost asking for a jury vote, particularly requesting a verbal acknowledgment from his team on decisions,rather than assuming silence is an affirmative.