Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Thoughts about todays's game?  (Read 6184 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thoughts about todays's game?
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
I am not convinced we can win this one.

Well that's not actually true.  I know we can win it.  But I doubt we will.

There is a definite monkey on our backs with Chiefs and I don't know if today is the day to throw it off.  But a bit of me keeps thinking of the Valentine's day massacre and what we managed to do that day with a team that wasn't at full strength.

If JdJ clicks, then we might do better than I hope.  But whilst SuperJimmy is a rock of a man who is never going to take a backward step against them, I do think we will miss Cips' magic.

Time will tell...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about todays's game?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
No idea, but not that hopeful.  Think we could potentially lose the next few games.

Don't think I'll be doing another long notes re-watch if it's another loss though.

Stig

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
I must be honest after last week my confidence levels for today are right down.

it was not just the handling errors against Quinn's but also, and only my opinion, the lack of edge to our game. Quinn's had that edge, as did Sale away last season, and I just feel that is missing in our team.

There was a bit of stuff in the media leading up to the game last week where we talked about the hurt of losing out last season in the manner we did. However, last week did not demonstrate to me a team that had something to prove. In saying that it might just be the kick up the backside we need.

So c'mon you Wasps let's make today the day!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »
I am not convinced we can win this one.

FWIW: I was convinced we would win last week!

Like our home record last week, our run of defeats at Sandy Park will come to an end one day. Might be today.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
The edge Quins had is not something many teams can bring every week.  They just lost at home to a Tigers team that up until now haven't looked like world beaters.

Stig

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
You're probably right Raggs, but complacency could be another factor.

I love the way we play, but I just feel that there is that edge missing from our game. The missing piece that will see us go that bit further.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »
With Raggs on this. I have little hope for today and unfortunately unless we start to click somewhere near our best of last season I can see a string of upsetting results for us Wasps fans. In Europe our opposition are shaking off early pre-season and first game hick-ups. I really hope I am wrong but something just seems a bit out of sync.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
Hmm, well I'm not sure how to think about that.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
Sadly, I think we may have a made a net loss of players to the injury list again. Symons, Mullen and Moore? I do not think Cruse can keep this up either. He is getting battered every game. We will be raiding the Academy cabinet soon. At least Hampson showed some class. I would start him and not Simmo. Juan de Jongh does not look the business at all.

Based on this game, we would have been better off with Hampson 9, Umaga 10 and Gopperth 12. It could not have been worse than how we did.

Wasps MOTM must have been Hughes.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
I think Gopperth is a brilliant player, but is not the 10 we need. When we had him and Jackson I argued that Jackson should start and maybe play Gopps at 12.  If Cips is out long term, and Eastgate is injured too we really need another flair 10. Jimny can play 12 with Gaby/Daley outside him.

Until then JdJ needs to find his feet, there is no reason to start him over Macken from what I've seen.

And let's face it, we need to start asking questions about injuries. This is getting silly.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
The injury list is getting silly because 7 out of the 'ideal' first XV are out and some of their replacements are also out. Of the 8 we can start with, their obvious replacements to start from the bench are also out.

We are bound to lose more as we field weaker and weaker sides, and as the occasional returnee is back, so more get injured. Over 200 tackles made today means there can be few on that pitch that will recover in time for the Bath game, regardless of how much rest or conditioning that they get in the week. And so they will start weak and be replaced by less adequate players.

We simply do not have the depth of first team talent in the squad. That having been said, right now a top 6 place by the end of the season looks like a target to aim for, with no silverware in sight. Bath (H), Sarries(A), Ulster (A), Quins (H) and Saints (A) look like a big ask, followed by a 'rest' for the two AWC games and then Newcastle (H), Irish (A) and the Tigers (H) might be the the next targets for some points.

If Dai were sensible, he would use the ERC games (four games in this run) as a rest also, to get ready for Gloucester at Christmas, and then see if we can move up towards a top 4 place by the end of the season.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »
When WLR is fit again I wonder if Miller may be a more suitable fly half. I don't think we have big enough backs to play Gopperth's style of game, Miller may have a little more pace?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:23 PM »
When WLR is fit again I wonder if Miller may be a more suitable fly half. I don't think we have big enough backs to play Gopperth's style of game, Miller may have a little more pace?

Maybe. IF you did that, then Owain James comes into play. In the games I have seen him in, he has been exciting and electric to watch. A real find there in him. And a big plus is that my daughter really fancies him  ;) If you haven't seen him yet, mark my words, this lad will be a BIG factor in Wasps' success going forwards. Except that he is good looking, he reminds me of me when I played. I could never have gotten to this level, but I was often played at centre or full back. Same with him. Fast enough to be a wing (I wasn't), not quite a 9, but all positions in between, he will do.

Miller at 10? mmm  ... could just work. He has played here before. Dai HAS to think outside the box. Good defensively. OK at kicking. Put Gopperth outside him and Hampson feeding him. YES. That could work. I wonder how Miller would feel about that? Why not Simmo at 9? Well, unless he can start making decent box kicks that actually gain us something rather than simply lose us possession ...

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »
I don't think I have seen Owain James yet. I remember your views on Jackson and could see how his speed combined with awesome passing really suited the team, shame his kicking wasn't quite there.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
I don't think I have seen Owain James yet. I remember your views on Jackson and could see how his speed combined with awesome passing really suited the team, shame his kicking wasn't quite there.

Sounds a bit like Cips to me. :D