Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alfie Barbeary  (Read 1428 times)

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Alfie Barbeary
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:56:05 PM »
We all know how good he is but not many players his age can compile a highlights reel this good
https://youtu.be/wgB0LPF7Kic

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie Barbeary
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 06:00:04 AM »
A highly talented and ambitious young man.

His sm seems to show him recovering well (walking with no crutches or visible braces/support around his ankle).

Certainly hope his return is on track and that we get to see him playing hooker/flanker/#8/centre within a month ...

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 07:59:00 AM »
  ......  and probably all at the same time.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 08:29:00 AM »

It'll be interesting to see what he's like in a season or so.
No one should be able to break the tackles that he does or as often as he does, it really is a special, unteachable skill.

However, I also remember that Nathan Hughes used to bulldoze through tackles for us until defences adapted specifically to him, at which point it was necessary to start adapting his game.

I always have reservations about youngsters who have been able to dominate due to their physicality at age grade rugby because they often don't have the need to develop wide ranging skills.
As I say, is remarkable that he's maintained his ability to run through tackles at senior level, but the proof really will be in another season or so when he's no longer a surprise for the opposition.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »

It'll be interesting to see what he's like in a season or so.
No one should be able to break the tackles that he does or as often as he does, it really is a special, unteachable skill.

I always have reservations about youngsters who have been able to dominate due to their physicality at age grade rugby because they often don't have the need to develop wide ranging skills.
As I say, is remarkable that he's maintained his ability to run through tackles at senior level, but the proof really will be in another season or so when he's no longer a surprise for the opposition.

Does NZ ignore age in younger years?

I can remember reading that USA ? ignored age and grouped youngsters for size and ability for I believe American football.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 11:38:59 PM »
Does NZ ignore age in younger years?

Not exactly but sort of in NZ and Australia according to this https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/117752770/auckland-rugbys-revises-grading-structure-to-cater-for-kids-of-all-sizes.

It suggests they have more categories with weight limits per age group. Players can play up or down ages if they are significantly over or under weight.

When I coached u13s about 15 years ago the RFU were adamant that players couldn't play out of their age group for any reason. A policy I thought was misguided.

I remember a game where a team had flattened my own team due to a player who was much bigger running through them at will.  I was then going to referee them in a match against another club whose coach told me he was worried about the safety of his players due to that boy's size. I replied that I would give his opposing coach the option of not playing the boy or calling off the game. He chose the former thankfully. This was all done subtlety without the boys knowing what was being discussed I should add.

To me that was common sense.