Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'Caught behind': Wasps, once breakdown kings no longer 'getting rewards'  (Read 1223 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Lee Blackett admitted his side must change their approach after conceding 50 penalties in three games

Bobby Bridge reports:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/caught-behind-wasps-once-breakdown-19940892
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting. Is it being reffed differently or are we just without our best turnover exponents in Willis and to a lesser degree Young?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting. Is it being reffed differently or are we just without our best turnover exponents in Willis and to a lesser degree Young?

Or is our strategy being countered effectively?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Seems to be happening in other games, fewer turnovers.

I am wondering if it is a response to high profile teams kicking so much? With so many boring teams booting the ball because of the perception that  it is better to  be without it, if you then remove the ability of the defensive team to turn it over, then it would make more sense to keep the ball. I really hope this is not the case, because turnovers are one if the more exciting aspects of the game, and if teams can repeatedly secure possession reliably then we will be back to clock running down with ten to go. If teams booting the ball is an issue, making it harder to jackal is not the answer.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
it seems to me that its being reffed differently, I seem to remember last year reffs were blowing up very quickly at the breakdown, hence  Jacks 40 odd turnovers, they now seem to be allowing the attacking team a lot longer to disrupt the jackler, ie. the reason for Jacks injury, also the once or twice I've seen Jack play this year hes being pinged more often than hes getting turnovers.   

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Is it also that a change in reffing the jackal is causing a rise in penalties?

Personally I would prefer to see the ref call ‘jackal won’ to allow ball to be picked up by jackler to pass ball out, or ‘Jackal lost’ to allow Jackler to remove himself ,without need to blow whistle.

Could allow the 5 seconds as you would for ‘ use it ‘ for say an attacking player to roll away if laying on the ball.

Heathen

• View Profile
Is it also that a change in reffing the jackal is causing a rise in penalties?

Personally I would prefer to see the ref call ‘jackal won’ to allow ball to be picked up by jackler to pass ball out, or ‘Jackal lost’ to allow Jackler to remove himself ,without need to blow whistle.

Could allow the 5 seconds as you would for ‘ use it ‘ for say an attacking player to roll away if laying on the ball.

Agree with that proposal. After all, refs tell players to leave it all the time.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Refs coach loads as it is, declaring when the jackler has rights is not an issue for me.
Won't help us if they keep pinging turnovers, since we are pretty good at it.