Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Daily Mail: Wasps set to sign South African scrum half Francois Hougaard  (Read 2441 times)

MarleyWasp

EXCLUSIVE: Wasps set to sign South African scrum half Francois Hougaard with Worcester star poised to join Premiership rivals

• Wasps are on the verge of signing South Africa scrum half Francois Hougaard
    • The 46-cap Springbok is out of contract this summer but will stay in England
    • The 32-year-old had been linked with a move to Japan and a lucrative contract
    • Hougaard will compete with Dan Robson and Will Porter for a starting berth
    By NIK SIMON FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:59, 16 March 2021 | UPDATED: 16:06, 16 March 2021

South Africa scrum-half Francois Hougaard is on the verge of signing for Wasps.

The 46-cap Springbok, who is out of contract with Worcester this summer, is set to make the short move across the Midlands to the Ricoh Arena.

Hougaard had been heavily linked with a move to Japan, where he could command a lucrative contract, but Sportsmail understands he is now likely to remain in the UK.

With No 9 Ben Vellacott leaving Wasps for Edinburgh, Wasps are in the market for a scrum-half to join their talented ranks alongside Dan Robson and Will Porter.

Worcester have already signed a replacement for Hougaard, with Willi Heinz and Will Chudley both moving to Sixways in the summer.

Hougaard represented South Africa's Test side between 2009 and 2014 before turning his hand to international rugby sevens.

The 32-year-old played for the Blitzboks at the 2016 Olympic Games, scoring the winning try in the 3rd place playoff game against Australia to clinch bronze for his country. 

I'd heard he originally declined a new deal at Worcester as he planned to go back to SA, but then learnt that he'd be eligible for a British passport in January/February next year so changed his mind, only for Worcester to replace him with Willi Heinz and Will Chudley.[/list]
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:13:38 PM by MarleyWasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    This is a rumour started here!

Actually would make sense I think.
    Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Would be a fantastic signing meaning there would be a much smaller drop in quality and experience when Dobby is on England duty and with Wusty and Porter showing a fair bit of promise, the opportunity to learn from a hugely experienced international would be great for their development too

MarleyWasp

Agreed. Would fill a gap and be a great mentor to Porter and Wolstenholme. Can also play on the wing if needed.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Fingers crossed.  Fits the bill nicely.  International quality, but not playing test rugby.

Heathen

• View Profile
    Thumbs up to him joining.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
      • View Profile
    I'd disagree it would be good for Wooly and Porter as I think it would be the death knoll for one of them. To be fair Hougaard signing for us would be an admittance that Dobby's stand in's haven't been up to the grade.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    I'd disagree it would be good for Wooly and Porter as I think it would be the death knoll for one of them. To be fair Hougaard signing for us would be an admittance that Dobby's stand in's haven't been up to the grade.

The gulf between Robson and Vellacott/Porter is significant. Hougaard perfectly addresses our issue given his experience and fitness but also his age means that we will need Wolstenholme and/or Porter looking forward. The whole set up of Robson, Hougaard, Wolstenholme and to a slightly lessor extent Porter could very well set us up at scrum half for many seasons to come with solid experience, year round availability, effective mentoring and a smooth transition.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Tend to agree on  that one, Coddy,  Sadly.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Seems to fit the bill of an experienced 9 to be available and hopefully pass on his knowledge to woosty and Porter. Depends on length of contract if one off them feels need to move on

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
      • View Profile
    The truth isn't always a pleasant reality...had the opportunities been taken, this wouldn't be a requirement.
    Hougaard is a top draw 9 and i'd welcome him and his white Lambo to the Ricoh.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Now this would be a seriously good signing. Exactly what we need.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Yes yes yes and yes

Porter and Wusty may not make the grade anyway.
    We need quality in the present and an eye to the future.

This does both. If either porter and/or Wusty don't wish to improve their skills by being around 2 international class scrum halves then that's their decision.

Personally, I think we'd keep all 4 and it'd be fine.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile
    Get in! Now that's s signing

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
      • View Profile

The gulf between Robson and Vellacott/Porter is significant. Hougaard perfectly addresses our issue given his experience and fitness but also his age means that we will need Wolstenholme and/or Porter looking forward. The whole set up of Robson, Hougaard, Wolstenholme and to a slightly lessor extent Porter could very well set us up at scrum half for many seasons to come with solid experience, year round availability, effective mentoring and a smooth transition.

+1