Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Willie Le Roux  (Read 4562 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Willie Le Roux
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »
I guess this opinion makes me a bit of an outlier, but I honestly think he is one of our better players.

I accept that he has made a lot of errors, but I think there is a lot more to it than him just messing up.

For the last month or so we have been very poor as a team.  For whatever reason the entire squad has failed to turn up on a number of occasions. However he has not stopped trying.

Many of our players have been lethargic and seemed almost despondent.  Our line speed was down, we weren't trying for the type of play that defined our season last year.  But he still was.

Yes he's f**ked up, but at least he was trying. I'd always rather see players try and fail than not bother trying.

And as to people saying he is no Beale, am I the only person that remembers the slating Beale got when he first stepped out in a Wasps shirt because he was doing stupid things that gave the ball away, knocking on, offloading directly into the hands of the opposition and so on. 

I honestly believe WLR is class and is one of the best supporting players we have had for a long time.  He struggles to make the magic happen himself, but when someone like Beale (I know he's gone, but the example still holds), or Daley, or Gabi does something ridiculous that actually works there is no-one I'd want running alongside him more than WLR.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Willie Le Roux
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »
To some extent I agree with you, VV. He certainly keeps trying and his frustration is very evident when things go wrong for him. He seemed to interact very well on the wing when Kurtley was with us - less so now he's moved on. He appears to have lost many of the forum fans, I do hope he hasn't lost the confidence of his team mates as well. Every game I keep expecting him to come good. I am sure he will and the sooner the better.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »
I think he is very much a confidence player and like the team up until this weekend was suffering badly with a complete lack of it. Dropping high kicks became a laughing matter especially in Belfast.  However on Sunday I saw him get upset/ angry at some of his team mates e.g. in front of us he picked up the ball from a Quins touch looking for a quick put in but nobody was looking despite him shouting. He had a right go at Simpson for just walking towards him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »
I saw that, but, when you watch it back, what would they have done with it? There were a lot of Quins players there and very few Wasps. That could have easily resulted in a messy tackle/maul and penalty for holding on. OTOH, that kick he did from 2-3 metres from touch that bounced into touch was sublime. Watch his reaction to that. Jubilant to say the least.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
Think he's very good, but he needs consistency, and he needs to improve his high ball work.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »

I'd struggle to call him one of our better players at the moment.

Before he arrived, there were comments that he was excellent in attack, but could be found out in defence.
For me, a full backs primary role is as the last line of defence. They will always be found out from time to time by a fast footed winger (Wadey has embarassed a lot of full backs)
However, he's dropped more high balls this season than I care to remember. That's unforgiveable.

I really think that's all he needs to sort out though.
If he trusts that he'll catch the ball, and others trust that he will, then the rest of his game will come together

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
His defence has been fine from memory, and his acceleration is very good in attack.  Think he's actually forcing things a bit much ball in hand at the moment, but hopefully the win will calm that down.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »
I wonder if he is off and that plays on his mind both in his attitude on the pitch and towards his team mates. However the photos yesterday of some of them at the butchers shows he still gets involved. Puzcling.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
I wonder if he is off and that plays on his mind both in his attitude on the pitch and towards his team mates. However the photos yesterday of some of them at the butchers shows he still gets involved. Puzcling.

Not sure what you mean by team mates? His yelling at Simpson seemed about right, he should have been making an effort to offer himself.  I'd hope the team are yelling praise and annoyance at each other during a game.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
I think he has gone best for us on the wing and seemed to combine really well with Beale, but we have plenty of good wingers. I remember Miller struggled with some high balls for a few games the season Piutau came.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »

speculation like that never seems to help.
some readers on these forums pick up on comments like that and start reading far too much into everything.

(you've only got to see the "simon jones is retiring" comments to see that)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
(you've only got to see the "simon jones is retiring" comments to see that)

Assuming you mean Sam, that's more to do with the fact that he's been injured for over a year and the only updates we've had are vague at best.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
oops yeah.

Although Simon Jones the cricketer retired through injury i believe

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 06:50:53 AM »
Good to see WLR and Wade on the wing, if Wade's pass had been a little higher I reckon WLR would have won try of the week.